Kadri vs the field (suspensions)

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
Yes, it was incredibly stupid and I say that as one of his biggest fans. I've been thinking for months OK so far so good, I really hope he doesn't mess up in the playoffs and then he can't even make it through one full game without losing it, just so disappointing. But yeah, on the whole he's a net positive no question so what can you do, you take the good with the bad and live with it.

I still can't help but feel Babcock is partly to blame, if I as a huge Kadri fan was worried about him you would think Babcock would be too and if so, he'd sit him down before the playoffs and make sure he understands what he needs to do. Some have said that Kadri should know anyway but no, the guy's a hothead, this is well known and why not just take 10 minutes to talk to him? Nothing to lose and everything to gain, cover all the bases etc. I can't help but feel like Babcock should have done this but he didn't and it cost us. Not to excuse Kadri, this is on him but I just feel like it's partly on Babcock too.

In any case, this can't ever happen in the playoffs again. Regular season I don't even care that much if he loses it every now and then, some people get on his case about it but honestly, it's not that big a deal to me. Playoffs though, that's another story. This simply can not happen ever again, period.
the problem with a "hothead" is you can talk to them until you are blue in the face, but when that switch is flipped it all goes out the window. he could have called kadri to the bench before that happened, but to me it looked like kadri was seeing red and wasnt gonna listen to anyone at that point. the nature of the beast sometimes with a player that plays on the edge.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
the problem with a "hothead" is you can talk to them until you are blue in the face, but when that switch is flipped it all goes out the window. he could have called kadri to the bench before that happened, but to me it looked like kadri was seeing red and wasnt gonna listen to anyone at that point. the nature of the beast sometimes with a player that plays on the edge.

Hahaha you might be right. I dunno though, I think everyone calms down sooner or later and the coach needs to know his players. If Kadri's seeing red, you bench him until he isn't.

It's just so frustrating. He took a dumb penalty a few months ago and so many people were just freaking about it. Then he's clean as a whistle for the rest of the season, nothing to worry about at all. And then the first game of the playoffs and ... I can even understand to a certain extent, what happened to Marner looked pretty bad and if there's one guy you definitely should stick up for it's him. So on one hand, I'm frustrated and upset with Kadri and yet, a part of me wants to pin a medal on him. :laugh:

Reactions: mcinnesja

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
Hahaha you might be right. I dunno though, I think everyone calms down sooner or later and the coach needs to know his players. If Kadri's seeing red, you bench him until he isn't.

It's just so frustrating. He took a dumb penalty a few months ago and so many people were just freaking about it. Then he's clean as a whistle for the rest of the season, nothing to worry about at all. And then the first game of the playoffs and ... I can even understand to a certain extent, what happened to Marner looked pretty bad and if there's one guy you definitely should stick up for it's him. So on one hand, I'm frustrated and upset with Kadri and yet, a part of me wants to pin a medal on him. :laugh:
ye im still a big fan and really commend him for turning his career around.as for this specific situation i was really dissapointed. if anything you do what hainsey did and take an extra penalty for instigating a fight, not whatever it was that he ended up doing. all we can hope is that was an isolated incident and he learns from it, hes shown the capacity to do that the last few years. at any rate i think we see the kadri that can be a game changer(in the positive sense) when he returns.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Why don't we let the other teams complain about the penalties (or lack of)

Hard to enjoy the B fans whining about the delay of game call, when we're complaining about a slash that didn't even connect.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
As for Kadri, repeat offender. 4 x for Head shots. That’s why it’s 3.
I kinda figured it this way, 1 game for the act. 1 game for the history. 1 game for being stupid and admitting publicly that it was retaliatory.
If it was regular season, all would be x2.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I kinda figured it this way, 1 game for the act. 1 game for the history. 1 game for being stupid and admitting publicly that it was retaliatory.
If it was regular season, all would be x2.

Interesting theory/system. Could be, could be.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
You'd have to ask those who feel he should be suspended.
There is no need to suspend him and as for Kadri, it should have been 1 game if at all because it was more of an attempt to hit with little or no contact. No suspension for Marchand or Kadri, let them play.

Reactions: ImpartialNHLfan

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Kadri deserved what he got.

Nothing else suspension worthy that I've seen so far.
Doughty suspension was BS.

don't disagree on the Naz thing, it was blatant and wide open had the Bruin not gone down into the turtle it would have been boarding and 5 minutes

it's the oopsy gee sorry stuff that Marchand get's away with that's truly maddening

he clearly violated rule 8.1 which calls for 5 and a game and a hearing

the slide into home check on Johnsson was blatant, there was no reason for him to go down and yet the on ice officials seem to be doing their very best to just ignore that crap

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
don't disagree on the Naz thing, it was blatant and wide open had the Bruin not gone down into the turtle it would have been boarding and 5 minutes

it's the oopsy gee sorry stuff that Marchand get's away with that's truly maddening

he clearly violated rule 8.1 which calls for 5 and a game and a hearing

the slide into home check on Johnsson was blatant, there was no reason for him to go down and yet the on ice officials seem to be doing their very best to just ignore that crap

Yeah every time I think about how pissed I am at Kadri I have to remind myself that it was nowhere near as bad as it looked - if twinkles doesn't slip and fall to ice a split second before Kadri hits him, there's no suspension. And yes that Johnsson inceient looked pretty blatant to me too no matter how much Bruin fans are denying it.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Yeah every time I think about how pissed I am at Kadri I have to remind myself that it was nowhere near as bad as it looked - if twinkles doesn't slip and fall to ice a split second before Kadri hits him, there's no suspension. And yes that Johnsson inceient looked pretty blatant to me too no matter how much Bruin fans are denying it.
Pissed at him but still making excuses, Kadri super fans are the best.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
Is the argument that Kadri shouldn’t have been suspended? Because, frankly, that’s asinine. Repeat offender + malicious intent, he got what he deserved.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
Its a shame that the NHL needs to see injuries before suspending players.

The only difference between Marchand's swing and Kessels (against Scott; 3 games) and Keith's slash (on Coyle; 6 games) is that Marchand didn't make contact...

Using your stick as a weapon shouldn't be tolerated in hockey.

That's not the only difference though.

The league said Kessel's 1st swing was in self-defense (which was bad, but not suspension worthy), but it was his 2nd swing that was viscous since Scott was fighting someone else and wasn't even looking. The same with Coyle, Keith wasn't defending himself. It was a viscous swing he thought he could get away with.
Marchand's swing was in self-defense to Rielly's crosscheck. I would expect a stern warning/fine, but no way a suspension.
There's a lot of things Marchand should have gotten suspended for but that swing isn't one of them imo.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
That's not the only difference though.

The league said Kessel's 1st swing was in self-defense (which was bad, but not suspension worthy), but it was his 2nd swing that was viscous since Scott was fighting someone else and wasn't even looking. The same with Coyle, Keith wasn't defending himself. It was a viscous swing he thought he could get away with.
Marchand's swing was in self-defense to Rielly's crosscheck. I would expect a stern warning/fine, but no way a suspension.
There's a lot of things Marchand should have gotten suspended for but that swing isn't one of them imo.

What if that swing hit Rielly's hand and broke a finger? Does that change your opinoin on whether its a suspendable offense? Taking two handed swings at an opposing player is not a hockey play, and shouldn't be tollerated in our sport. Thats all I said.

Last edited:

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
What if that swing hit Rielly's hand and broke a finger? Does that change your opinoin on whether its a suspendable offense? Taking two handed swings at an opposing player is not a hockey game, and shouldn't be tollerated in our sport. Thats all I said.

Agreed two-handed slashes to the hand should not be tolerated at all and suspended. But Marchand didn't aim/hit for his hand. If Marchand did get suspended for that, then Rielly would also be suspended for his two-handed slash right after.

I see what you're saying though and I agree with your point, that type of behavior shouldn't be in this game.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Nothing Marchand did in game 3 was even close to jumping to hit a dude on his knees and driving his head to the boards.

If this is some argument to belittle what Kadri did, then you're just wrong.

Reactions: Daisy Jane

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
The NHL is fast approaching NBA-WWE type officiating.

I'm half expecting Earl Hebner's twin to hit the ice and hand Marchand a roll of quarters.

It's almost surreal to witness the garbage that the little POS gets away with....like is he in possession of a pee-tape?

This isn’t anything new. It only becomes an issue when it impacts our team.

B’s fans in the GDT were losing their mind on the “biased” officiating

Check it out sometime.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Nothing Marchand did in game 3 was even close to jumping to hit a dude on his knees and driving his head to the boards.

I think what this incident has shown is that some elements of the hockey fan base can stand and speak on an issue of player safety with ethics and other elements of the fan base can only stand on hypocrisy.

Agreed 100%

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts

Watch the video. Guy fell just as Kadri was about to hit him; if the guy was standing it would have been shoulder to shoulder hit

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad