Kadri vs the field (suspensions)

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Here’s a plus side.

Without this, Marleau-Plekanec-Marner would never have happened. That was a terrific performance that I don’t want to see broken up in Game 5.

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
Johansen hit.
Wilson hit.

This is why the league sucks. They are wildly inconsistent with their suspension. Kadri should have been available to the Leafs in Game 3 itself. No way that was a 3 game suspension when the others aren't getting anything.
I woulda gave Kadri 2 when Doughty got 1, but the fact everyone else is getting away with all this garbage is a complete joke and just sums up the reffing this season. They change up on the fly without telling anybody.

Is there even a rule book for half the penalties anymore? Or is it just refs deciding if they want to call it or not. Not to mention all the missed calls (even in the playoffs there's an absurd amount) and then NJ has 7 powerplays in 1 game alone. We're begging for 2

Last time i actually was convinced the refs were this stupid was watching Edmonton a couple years ago get screwed.

Marchand gets away with just about everything, unless he's trying to murder someone it's as if the ref's don't see what hes doing

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
I woulda gave Kadri 2 when Doughty got 1, but the fact everyone else is getting away with all this garbage is a complete joke and just sums up the reffing this season. They change up on the fly without telling anybody.

Is there even a rule book for half the penalties anymore? Or is it just refs deciding if they want to call it or not. Not to mention all the missed calls (even in the playoffs there's an absurd amount) and then NJ has 7 powerplays in 1 game alone. We're begging for 2

Be careful.

Refs putting away their whistles last night helped us play Lacrosse style defense in boxing out players and hammering them off the puck.

As for Kadri, repeat offender. 4 x for Head shots. That’s why it’s 3.

Last edited:
Reactions: egd27 and Tak7

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I would honestly play Martin in game 5 and sit brown. At Boston I feel Marchand will do something incredibly stupid. If you play Martin I'm ok with him jumping off the bench pulling the Clarkson and ending Marchand season if he goes after marner or another leaf.

They will be looking over their shoulder when Kadri gets back, we don't need Martin in.

Kadri is going to lay some bruins out when he gets back. They know it and we know it.

It was a hard charge and he needs to not charge players. He can still hit bruins and will. Noooo Martin, to slow!

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Kadri gets 3 games

Doughty gets 1
Play on Myers ??
Marchand buttend and stick swipe??
Hedman spear to groin??
Mcavoy slew foot??
Subban suckerpunch??

Is this all? did I miss any? Really curious to see what the DOPS hands out. They aren't biased against the Leafs, are they?

Just saying, Kadri's hit was by far the most dangerous play of anything you listed. He really could have seriously injured Wingles. He deserved the suspension. I expected 1 or 2 games but either way, he deserved it.

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
Be careful.

Refs putting away their whistles last night helped us play Lacrosse style defense in boxing our players and hammering them off the puck.

As for Kadri, repeat offender. 4 x for Head shots. That’s why it’s 3.

Didn't really help us as much as we adapted to the fact they weren't calling and started doing it ourselves. Which is what we had to do starting in game 1 to help support Kadri but he cracked

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
Kadri is not able to hide his intentions, at all. Everyone in the arena knows when he is worked up and ready to do something potentially stupid. Marchand hides his emotion which lets him sneak by with all his dirty play.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Kadri is not able to hide his intentions, at all. Everyone in the arena knows when he is worked up and ready to do something potentially stupid. Marchand hides his emotion which lets him sneak by with all his dirty play.

True enough. That's why I partly blame Babcock, if he sits out Kadri for just one shift and has a quick talk with him this maybe doesn't happen.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Hilarious.

Blame Babcock for not sitting him prior to a reactionary hit that happened on the ice.

Babcock was to anticipate that Marner would have got his nose bonked on that particular shift?

Always someone else’s fault.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007

Last time i actually was convinced the refs were this stupid was watching Edmonton a couple years ago get screwed.

Marchand gets away with just about everything, unless he's trying to murder someone it's as if the ref's don't see what hes doing
Was it Andreas Johnsson that he pulled down without a penalty call? Having TWO referees during a game was suppose to solve all these MISSED PENALTY CALLS! In fact, the missed penalty calls seems to have gotten much worse! The 1960's single referee likely MAKES THAT call! JMHO!

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK

This.

What did we all say when Kadri was slamming his stick in the box after his first Wingels boarding penalty? He has to calm down.

"He didn't calm down"
- Narrator

barilko05

NHL FAN
Jan 28, 2011
Was it Andreas Johnsson that he pulled down without a penalty call? Having TWO referees during a game was suppose to solve all these MISSED PENALTY CALLS! In fact, the missed penalty calls seems to have gotten much worse! The 1960's single referee likely MAKES THAT call! JMHO!

Absolutely. Prior to the 2 ref system, there was ONE guy who was in charge. He had to have his head on a swivel and was trained to watch for EVERYTHING. With two refs, the tendency seems to be to focus on MY end of the ice, and if something happens on my partners side and he doesn't see it, I'm not going to go against him because he's my UNION brother, and I can't show him up, especially if he is the senior ref for the game. It's more about covering up for your buddy than actually calling the game as it should be. The 2 ref system is a joke, but because they are now all trained that way, going back to a one ref system would be an even BIGGER disaster. You can't put the cat back in the bag. We're stuck with this like it or not.

And what ever happened to "linesman can call penalties if they see something." I'm pretty sure that is also a rule, but I cannot ever recall seeing something that a ref missed being picked up by a linesman...EVER!

Zizzzzy

Dec 6, 2017
Didn't really help us as much as we adapted to the fact they weren't calling and started doing it ourselves. Which is what we had to do starting in game 1 to help support Kadri but he cracked

Their power play was at 50%. Whistles away hockey most certainly helped us. They can clutch and grab us all they want if it means we don't have our momentum killed by some stupid cheesy penalty every 10 minutes.

Zizzzzy

Dec 6, 2017
Anybody have a clip of the Marchand 2 hander? All I remember was seeing Mo really pissed off at Marchand... missed the original slash.

Hockey Talker29

Oct 10, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Parros is junk. The Kadri suspension was one of the most egregious I've ever seen. 3 playoff games and a game misconduct as well. Awful.

Meanwhile, Marchand is butt-ending our goalie, two-handing Rielly, and trying to tear Johnsson's knee. Not a peep. Looks like Parros never did shake off the effects of that fight with Orr.

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
True enough. That's why I partly blame Babcock, if he sits out Kadri for just one shift and has a quick talk with him this maybe doesn't happen.
i thought that this happened immediately after kadri came out of the box, with him going directly into the play..but i could be mistaken.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Kadri aside (yes he deserved some sort of sanction for that hit)

Nobody would be happy with how the league handles these things. There’s zero consistency and zero transparency in the decision making process. Not to mention it’s pretty clear star players get an easier ride through the process than others.

The main problem at the moment is the league/refs are trying to allow a “let the players play” attitude when it comes to rule enforcement in the playoffs - and yet. They had out draconian penalties for some rule breaking but not others. Can’t have your cake and eat it too....

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
i thought that this happened immediately after kadri came out of the box, with him going directly into the play..but i could be mistaken.

TBH I don't remember the exact sequence of events either, I just remember thinking that Kadri seemed to be on the verge of doing something dumb. Seems easy to say with hindsight I know so take it FWIW.

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
TBH I don't remember the exact sequence of events either, I just remember thinking that Kadri seemed to be on the verge of doing something dumb. Seems easy to say with hindsight I know so take it FWIW.
ye, im not 100% sure either but i seem to recall him coming out of the box all pissed off..you could see before he delivered that hit he was about to do something stupid. his play the last 2 years has bought him alot of leeway with me for things like that, but man that was a kadri before babs style stupid play. the bright side is after putting his team in a big hole, when he returns he should be extra motivated to make a positive difference, and he can make a BIG difference when hes playing his best(within the rules)

Reactions: tokiih

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
ye, im not 100% sure either but i seem to recall him coming out of the box all pissed off..you could see before he delivered that hit he was about to do something stupid. his play the last 2 years has bought him alot of leeway with me for things like that, but man that was a kadri before babs style stupid play. the bright side is after putting his team in a big hole, when he returns he should be extra motivated to make a positive difference, and he can make a BIG difference when hes playing his best(within the rules)

Yes, it was incredibly stupid and I say that as one of his biggest fans. I've been thinking for months OK so far so good, I really hope he doesn't mess up in the playoffs and then he can't even make it through one full game without losing it, just so disappointing. But yeah, on the whole he's a net positive no question so what can you do, you take the good with the bad and live with it.

I still can't help but feel Babcock is partly to blame, if I as a huge Kadri fan was worried about him you would think Babcock would be too and if so, he'd sit him down before the playoffs and make sure he understands what he needs to do. Some have said that Kadri should know anyway but no, the guy's a hothead, this is well known and why not just take 10 minutes to talk to him? Nothing to lose and everything to gain, cover all the bases etc. I can't help but feel like Babcock should have done this but he didn't and it cost us. Not to excuse Kadri, this is on him but I just feel like it's partly on Babcock too.

In any case, this can't ever happen in the playoffs again. Regular season I don't even care that much if he loses it every now and then, some people get on his case about it but honestly, it's not that big a deal to me. Playoffs though, that's another story. This simply can not happen ever again, period.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad