Kadri vs Tavares, contracts and ramifications included

Your pick?

• Total voters

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Because you're implying that the only reason the Tavares contract is having an impact on the Leafs' cap is because of the flat cap caused by the pandemic. That's not the case at all. Tavares' contract was already having an impact on the Leafs' cap situation prior to this season.
I never said that the global pandemic is the reason for the Leafs salary cap issues.

I simply pointed out it's not fair to use the $81 million flat cap because of a global pandemic and Tavares contract in the same sentence together.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I never said that the global pandemic is the reason for the Leafs salary cap issues.

I simply pointed out it's not fair to use the $81 million flat cap because of a global pandemic and Tavares contract in the same sentence together.
Then why did you bring up a pandemic in the first place?

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Yeah, I'm not entirely sure what your point even is, then, if you're not blaming the pandemic on Tavares' contract being an issue now.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
You first brought it up when you mentioned the ramifications of an $81 million salary cap.

If everything this season was normal and there was no global pandemic, the salary cap was supposed to be around $85 - $87 million. So the Leafs would have been in a better position despite having signed Tavares.

Ramifications are obvious in a 81M cap.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Yeah, I'm not entirely sure what your point even is, then, if you're not blaming the pandemic on Tavares' contract being an issue now.
Not sure either, Infact I am not sure many times responding to the poster. He denied he even mentioned it in his reply to me? That was until I quoted him again on it. And Pandemic right in his reply.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
You first brought it up when you mentioned the ramifications of an $81 million salary cap.

If everything this season was normal and there was no global pandemic, the salary cap was supposed to be around $85 - $87 million. So the Leafs would have been in a better position despite having signed Tavares.
Why did you not use my entire quote? I would appreciate it if you were more honest here than to try to misrepresent what I posted. This is my entire quote.
Well Tavares is not 6.5M a year better than Kadri. Ramifications are obvious
Where is pandemic mentioned? You brought it up. Why do you not answer @Sidney the Kidney and my question? Why are you bringing up the pandemic as an excuse? Tavares was signed well before a pandemic.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Maybe it's because I haven't taken Grade 12 English in years, so I'm a bit foggy on it. But the above sounds pretty much the same thing to me. You're making it sound like the only reason Tavares' contract is having a negative effect on the Leaf's cap situation is due to the flat cap caused by the pandemic.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Maybe it's because I haven't taken Grade 12 English in years, so I'm a bit foggy on it. But the above sounds pretty much the same thing to me. You're making it sound like the only reason Tavares' contract is having a negative effect on the Leaf's cap situation is due to the flat cap caused by the pandemic.
No I'm saying that Tavares contract and the flat salary cap to the global pandemic should not be included together.

Prior to the announcement of a flat salary cap of $81 million the talk was the cap being around $85 - $87 million when things were still normal, which would have helped the Leafs and no one was taling about Tavares contract in a negative way at that time.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
No I'm saying that Tavares contract and the flat salary cap to the global pandemic should not be included together.

Prior to the announcement of a flat salary cap of $81 million the talk was the cap being around $85 - $87 million when things were still normal, which would have helped the Leafs and no one was taling about Tavares contract in a negative way at that time.

Seriously? A lot of people were questioning whether that money was going to kill the Leafs' cap situation even before the pandemic. Hell I'm pretty sure I got into debates with you about it last summer.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

This is not true. There were many that questioned the latter years of Tavares contract not aging well. Maybe you were not paying attention closely enough?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Seriously? A lot of people were questioning whether that money was going to kill the Leafs' cap situation even before the pandemic. Hell I'm pretty sure I got into debates with you about it last summer.
I seem to remember there not being as much gloom and doom for Toronto's salary cap when it was expected to go up in the offseason before the global pandemic.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I seem to remember there not being as much gloom and doom for Toronto's salary cap when it was expected to go up in the offseason before the global pandemic.

It was thought to go up 1 million, not 5 million. Your adding a 5% escalator which wasn’t happening

Krewe

Mar 12, 2019
Tavares, not close.

Kadri plays a nice, gritty game, and is the type of player any playoff team would love to have (if he keeps his cool).

But he is only a role player. I'd rather have one Tavares than two Kadri's if I'm building a team

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Leafmealone11

Aug 7, 2020

I agree many people said it would destroy the cap and force them to pay Mathews and Marner that much if not more. The second they signed JT it started many name calling matches full of nu-uh your stupid

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Tavares makes 11 million and is worth about 8.5 million. (-2.5million)
Kadri makes 4.25 million and is worth about 5.25 million. (+1 million)

I'd take Kadri, honestly. It means we could have used the money on someone like Stone... Would much rather have Kadri+Stone then Tavares and Johnsson.

Lemontree

Fire Dubas
Feb 12, 2018
Kadri produced an amazing 6 points (2g & 4a) in his previous 3 playoff series with the Leafs (2016-2019).
Tavares has produced 8 points (4g & 4a) in his 2 playoffs series (I guess the qualifier round counts as playoffs - stats wise) with the Leafs.

Tavares is a better and more talented player hands down. Kadri seems to be having a nice playoffs with the Avs so good for him.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Signing Tavares was a no brainer. He's arguably a top 10 C and definitely still a top 15 C and he doesn't need star wingers to put up ppg as his time with the Isles showed.

Disagree with who Dubas traded Kadri for but not that he traded him. I fully believe that if Kadri doesn't get ejected from the last series with the Bruins, the Leafs win that before it gets to game 7. Nonetheless, the Bruins exposed the true weakness of the Leafs and that's to attack their RHD in their zone. If Kadri was traded for another Muzzin caliber and style of D-man, that would have been no issue at all and helped tremendously.

Kadri was nice insurance because he was a 2C that was our 3C that could fill in a top 6 C role in case Matthews or Tavares got injured. Letting Gardiner walk only to trade our best contract for a clone of Gardiner was not his best move.

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019
Kadri produced an amazing 6 points (2g & 4a) in his previous 3 playoff series with the Leafs (2016-2019).
Tavares has produced 8 points (4g & 4a) in his 2 playoffs series (I guess the qualifier round counts as playoffs - stats wise) with the Leafs.

Tavares is a better and more talented player hands down. Kadri seems to be having a nice playoffs with the Avs so good for him.
Tbf 8 in 2 series isn’t exactly blowing 6 in 3 out of the water

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad