Kadri vs Tavares, contracts and ramifications included

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

Your pick?

• Total voters

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Tavares is the better player and the one you'd want if you were a team that lacked a top line center, but for the Leafs specifically I think Kadri was the better option when you factor in they already had a 1C, they needed to re-sign their kids, and they still have a gaping hole on RD that that extra money could fix.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Tavares is the better player, but not 7M better. That being said, Kadri is on an absolute steal of a contract, he will likely be making 7m+ on his next deal. The harsh truth for leaf fans is, per dollar spent, Kadri is out producing JT by a good margin

Reactions: Luckylarry

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Tavares isn’t 6.5m better. He isn’t more than double the player. Not even close.

In a cap world, for a guy to slot behind Auston Matthews, it’s Kadri easily for me.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Tavares isn’t 6.5m better. He isn’t more than double the player. Not even close.

In a cap world, for a guy to slot behind Auston Matthews, it’s Kadri easily for me.
And then add to Kadri a 6.5 million dollar D man. Leafs would certainly be a better team.

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
over the last 4 years (to intentionallyinclude Kadri's 2 most productive seasons), Tavares ranks 11th in PPG amongst centers (80 point pace) and Kadri ranks 45th (56 point pace).

This year Tavares had a xG% of 53.36, Kadri had a xG% of 50.21

but yeah let's take the 2nd line center over the 1st line center.
John Tavares is a loser superstar. He will get his points and have a full summer to celebrate them.

Reactions: Koolboss

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
As a #2 center I take Kadri. Obviously Tavares is the better player but Kadri is a really good #2 center. That $6.5million in savings would boost the team in other areas.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I'd take the 80pt Center over the 50pt Cheapshot Artist all day, every day.

Kadri was a b2b 30 goal, 55-60 point player as a 2C behind Matthews.

You don't need two top line centers to win the stanley cup. You do however need an adequate 2C and a good defense.

Recency bias and general hatred toward Leafs will skew those results by a lot.

JT is the best player, he is a 1C and their captain. It's Tavares and it's not even close.

Wouldn't it be great if you could just pick the best player available for each position?

Unfortunately that's not reality, paying your 2C 11M has ramifications elsewhere on your roster.

Tavares may be the better player, but is he better than Kadri and say, hypothetically another Muzzin for the Leafs?

Last edited:
Reactions: Koolboss

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Tavares, trading Kadri made sense but Dubas didn’t get the right return. Kadri held more value to a team that needed a 2C than to the Leafs where he was stuck in the 3 hole. Kadri should have been traded for a defencemen who can compliment Rielly well and Kerfoot is not the Leafs answer at 3C.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Well with hindsight it's Kadri for any rational fan. Kadri isn't any worse a player and probably brings more to the table than Tavares. Tavares may have him in offensive skills but Kadri pretty much takes him in every other category and has plenty of his own offensive skills. Lastly, that cap hit and well how anyone cannot choose Kadri is beyond me. Now if Matthews wasn't in Toronto I'd change my opinion but considering this is for 2C it's not close for me. Kadri in a walk not to mention he just screams heart and soul player.

This entire thread is based on this.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Tavares, trading Kadri made sense but Dubas didn’t get the right return. Kadri held more value to a team that needed a 2C than to the Leafs where he was stuck in the 3 hole. Kadri should have been traded for a defencemen who can compliment Rielly well and Kerfoot is not the Leafs answer at 3C.

Not attacking. What do you expect our of a 3C? Who would be the answer?
If someone is available who is better suited, I'll move on from Kerfoot.

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
Oh come on I hate the Leafs as much as anyone but no one would take Kadri over Tavares even with their contracts included.

Yes Kadri had a great series. He also went full idiot two years in a row and got himself kicked out of the playoffs.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Not attacking. What do you expect our of a 3C? Who would be the answer?
If someone is available who is better suited, I'll move on from Kerfoot.
I’m not asking him to reinvent the wheel with our 3C, I think we just needed someone a bit better defensively and plays a heavier game.

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
& Kadri has scored 60 points once.

People act like they overpaid Tavares. He got what he was worth and even at a discount (NYI + SJ were offering 1.5-2 million more IIRC)

You walk into a store and see a product with a manufacture sticker on it saying "$99 value", and the clerk says they'll sell it to you for $130. You go to another store and they say they'll sell the same product to you for $110. Is that a discount?

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
You walk into a store and see a product with a manufacture sticker on it saying "$99 value", and the clerk says they'll sell it to you for $130. You go to another store and they say they'll sell the same product to you for $110. Is that a discount?
I mean it may be different with the flat cap but considering what other centers got over the past 2 years on the open market (Hayes at 7.15 mil and Duchene at 8.00 mil) Tavares at 11.00 isn't bad at all.

Reactions: Voight

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
This entire thread is based on this.
Yes I know but as a hockey fan not gonna lie I thought was good signing to. Even though he was not needed but I guess you add talent when available and he was expected to do better. Personally expected him to be much better offensively but only so much ice time when your stacked like Leafs are offensively. Hence in hindsight for myself I should have added was wrong signing.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Oh come on I hate the Leafs as much as anyone but no one would take Kadri over Tavares even with their contracts included.

Yes Kadri had a great series. He also went full idiot two years in a row and got himself kicked out of the playoffs.
57% of those voting on this poll would take Kadri. Mac and Kadri make in cap costs pretty similar to what Tavares does. Contract, especially in this flat cap era, has huge impact on player value.
Tavares is clearly the better player, but Kadri’s contract allows for extra cap room to add other players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad