Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
tenor.gif

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
As a fan of a team that has had both and seen both play for a significant amount of time, I prefer having Tavares as the #2C.

Absolutely stoked for Kadri, the amazing fit he has had on the Avs, and hoping he hoists the cup this year. However, he is a significant downgrade on Tavares.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
I mean with Kadri you save 7M dollars against the cap...

I think Tavares is better and will certainly produce more for your team but I’m not sure how much better he makes your team than Kadri, even without factoring in contracts.

I will say when I watched the Leafs in the playoffs he was actually pretty good and prob their 2nd best player after Auston Matthews.

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Well with hindsight it's Kadri for any rational fan. Kadri isn't any worse a player and probably brings more to the table than Tavares. Tavares may have him in offensive skills but Kadri pretty much takes him in every other category and has plenty of his own offensive skills. Lastly, that cap hit and well how anyone cannot choose Kadri is beyond me. Now if Matthews wasn't in Toronto I'd change my opinion but considering this is for 2C it's not close for me. Kadri in a walk not to mention he just screams heart and soul player.

Reactions: Koolboss

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
It's obvious. Tavares is an anchor and now doesn't even play up to his contract. He almost makes McDavid money and hes never scored 90 points in his career. Kadri was the type of hometown guy that took discounts to play for the leafs, and now hes dominating on the avs.

& Kadri has scored 60 points once.

People act like they overpaid Tavares. He got what he was worth and even at a discount (NYI + SJ were offering 1.5-2 million more IIRC)

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
over the last 4 years (to intentionallyinclude Kadri's 2 most productive seasons), Tavares ranks 11th in PPG amongst centers (80 point pace) and Kadri ranks 45th (56 point pace).

This year Tavares had a xG% of 53.36, Kadri had a xG% of 50.21

but yeah let's take the 2nd line center over the 1st line center.

Ignatius

LET HIM IN TO THE BOX
Apr 28, 2010
Sin Bin
lol this site man, Leaf obsessed.

Happens every year, Leafs predictably get knocked out of the first round (if they make the playoffs) and the little leafers have to find something to talk about to keep themselves distracted from the embarrassment and/try to make others think that the Leafs are relevant to talk about.

Reactions: Rob Brown

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Happens every year, Leafs predictably get knocked out of the first round (if they make the playoffs) and the little leafers have to find something to talk about to keep themselves distracted from the embarrassment and/try to make others think that the Leafs are relevant to talk about.

That would make sense if anyone of the current (10 ish) threads about the Leafs were made about Leaf fans. Most are made by Habs or Aves fans.

Deam78

Aug 16, 2017
Recency bias and general hatred toward Leafs will skew those results by a lot.

JT is the best player, he is a 1C and their captain. It's Tavares and it's not even close.

Now discussing as if they should've kept Kadri is another debate.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I'd take the 80pt Center over the 50pt Cheapshot Artist all day, every day.

He'd slide right in and share Center duties with Pettersson, and be the perfect sort of player to complement one another's games too. Done and dusted.

Yes, Tavares contract is on the ugly side, as big ticket UFA purchases tend to be. But $11M for a #1C really isn't that catastrophic, and it only runs 'till he's like 34? That's really not that bad, all things considered.

Kadri's deal is a bargain right now. But in a couple years as a UFA...he's gonna be an $7M+ player, if Hayes and Nelson sort of contracts are any indication. Really gonna close the gap, while Tavares is just locked in at the same rate until retirement...even if it is an expensive price. The gap will narrow substantially soon enough, and Tavares is the far better, more productive player.

The only scenario where i'd lean toward Kadri, would be a team that already has two #1Centers, and doesn't really have the flexibility to fit them together with Tavares in top minutes. Which is basically...the Penguins and Oilers maybe.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
JT is by far the better player. I’d rather have Kadri as my 2C though, when considering role, and cap.

I feel like this is basically the start and end of the conversation.

Anyone taking Kadri over Tavares is either lying for petty sportsfan reasons, or is a fan of a team that has a strong #1C and doesn't need to spend 6 extra million for a player that will net about 15-20g and 25-30p more. That's an expensive upgrade for a #2C if your offence is already loaded.

Which is the exact criticism people have of the Leafs signing him. I think he is very much worth, but I would feel better about it if we didn't have so many other expensive forwards.

Imagine how different this debate would be if Kadri didn't get shipped to a ready made contender. I doubt there is any conversation if he's a Panther or a Coyote or God forbid, a Red Wing.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
& Kadri has scored 60 points once.

People act like they overpaid Tavares. He got what he was worth and even at a discount (NYI + SJ were offering 1.5-2 million more IIRC)

Just a side note on this, but I see it brought up often and I can't say knowing Wilson and Lou are people I want to compare to when it comes to giving out big contracts.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
On the Avs; Kadri. We can't afford all of our depth with Tavares and he doesn't do all that much other than improve our pp.

Reactions: klozge

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad