Kadri vs Tavares, contracts and ramifications included

Your pick?

• Total voters

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
How was Kyle Dubas supposed to know that on July 1, 2018 when he signed Tavares that there would be a $81 million cap because of a global pandemic in 2020 no one saw happening.

I know it's popular for a lot of people like you to shit on him for every decision he makes, but come that's going to far.
No GM knew there would be a pandemic, but no GM has spent money like the one you are trying so hard to defend. You don't see other GM's trading the #13OA pick for cap relief this year do you?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
You make it sound like signing Tavares only NOW is affecting their cap situation because of the pandemic. His signing already had a massive impact on Toronto's cap situation even before this past season began, which was close to a full year before the whole flat cap due to COVID thing.
Nylander 7M check
Matthews 11.634M check
Marner 10.9M check
Muzzin 5.65M check
Kerfoot 3.5M check
Johnsson 3.4M check
Kapanen 3.2M check
Holl 2M check
Campbell 1.65M check

All pre Covid, all after Tavares. Check mate!

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Nylander 7M check
Matthews 11.634M check
Marner 10.9M check
Muzzin 5.65M check
Kerfoot 3.5M check
Johnsson 3.4M check
Kapanen 3.2M check
Holl 2M check
Campbell 1.65M check

I also think one has to be naive to think that Tavares' contract didn't have some sort of impact on how much Matthews and Marner insisted on making. I don't think it's completely unrealistic to think that if Tavares wasn't signed or was signed for around $9 million or less, that Matthews probably asks for more around Eichel's money and Marner asks for in the $8-9 million range instead. But that contract set the bar for what the two superstar kids will want.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
You make it sound like signing Tavares only NOW is affecting their cap situation because of the pandemic. His signing already had a massive impact on Toronto's cap situation even before this past season began, which was close to a full year before the whole flat cap due to COVID thing.
It's one thing to say how the Tavares signing effected the Leafs salary cap.

However to bring up how the cap is going to be flat at $81 million because of Covid-19 is something Dubas or any GM had no idea was going to happen.

If everything was normal wasn't it supposed to be around $85 - $87 million or something similar to those numbers?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Nylander 7M check
Matthews 11.634M check
Marner 10.9M check
Muzzin 5.65M check
Kerfoot 3.5M check
Johnsson 3.4M check
Kapanen 3.2M check
Holl 2M check
Campbell 1.65M check

Campbell's $1.65 million is a fair contract for a #2 Goalie which everyone said the Leafs needed and that contract he signed was when he was still a member of the Kings.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I also think one has to be naive to think that Tavares' contract didn't have some sort of impact on how much Matthews and Marner insisted on making. I don't think it's completely unrealistic to think that if Tavares wasn't signed or was signed for around $9 million or less, that Matthews probably asks for more around Eichel's money and Marner asks for in the $8-9 million range instead. But that contract set the bar for what the two superstar kids will want.
The Tavares signing set the precedent. 11M, 2nd to only McDavid at the time of signing. A player that would be hard pressed to on a the top 10 players in the NHL list. Infact he would be near 15 for Centers alone. It was a vast overpayment, and it emboldened Nylander to hold out to December 1 where he still got his 7M and prorated at 10.3 for a reward for missing that many games. Players take notice when you can sniff a weak negotiator. Dubas has truly built a house of cards here.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
No GM knew there would be a pandemic, but no GM has spent money like the one you are trying so hard to defend. You don't see other GM's trading the #13OA pick for cap relief this year do you?
It wasn't a trade for cap relief but when the Islanders traded Travis Hamonic to Calgary they got their 2018 1st round pick without any conditions and the Flames missed the playoffs in 2018, so they ended up trading away the 12th overall pick.

In that same draft St. Louis traded their 1st round pick to the Flyers for Brayden Schenn 1 year earlier so it was conditional on it not being in the top 10 and the Flyers got it since the pick ended up 14th overall.

At least Dubas made their 2020 1st round pick top 10 protected and he's not the only GM who has traded 1st round picks 1 year in advance of the next draft.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
It wasn't a trade for cap relief but when the Islanders traded Travis Hamonic to Calgary they got their 2018 1st round pick without any conditions and the Flames missed the playoffs in 2018, so they ended up trading away the 12th overall pick.

In that same draft St. Louis traded their 1st round pick to the Flyers for Brayden Schenn 1 year earlier so it was conditional on it not being in the top 10 and the Flyers got it since the pick ended up 14th overall.

At least Dubas made their 2020 1st round pick top 10 protected and he's not the only GM who has traded 1st round picks 1 year in advance of the next draft.
Dubas didn't trade the #13OA pick for cap relief? That one is new. You mean he just decided to trade Marleau to Carolina as a favour and decided to throw in a first rd pick to be a nice guy?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Dubas didn't trade the #13OA pick for cap relief? That one is new. You mean he just decided to trade Marleau to Carolina as a favour and decided to throw in a first rd pick to be a nice guy?
I said the other examples I used were trades of 1st picks 1 year in advance but they were not for cap relief like what Dubas did with Marleau's contract. However in those examples both the Flames and Blues missed the playoffs in 2018 giving up the 12th and 14th picks in the 2018 draft.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I said the other examples I used were trades of 1st picks 1 year in advance but they were not for cap relief like what Dubas did with Marleau's contract. However in those examples both the Flames and Blues missed the playoffs in 2018 giving up the 12th and 14th picks in the 2018 draft.
No one is changing the topic by discussing other trades in non pandemic years other than you. And to that original point No other GM's knew a pandemic was brewing, and no other GM traded a first rd pick this year for cap space because they maxed out the cap other than Dubas.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
No, no GM traded the 13 th overall pick. A lot of GMs traded conditional picks though and the one Dubas traded ended up as the 13 overall pick.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
No one is changing the topic by discussing other trades in non pandemic years other than you. And to that original point No other GM's knew a pandemic was brewing, and no other GM traded a first rd pick this year for cap space because they maxed out the cap other than Dubas.
Dubas wasn't the first GM who has traded a 1st round pick to get rid of a contract for cap relief.

Lou Lamoriello did that before the 2005-06 season when he was with the Devils, because he traded Vladimir Malakhov and a conditional 2006 1st round pick to San Jose, so New Jersey was able to get under the cap and re-sign Brian Gionta.

The 1st round pick ended up being the 26th overall pick in the 2007 draft and San Jose used it to move up and select Logan Couture 9th overall. The Blues who traded down with them used the 26th pick and selected David Perron.

Cap call: Devils deal Malakhov to Sharks

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
No, no GM traded the 13 th overall pick. A lot of GMs traded conditional picks though and the one Dubas traded ended up as the 13 overall pick.
St. Louis and did that for the 2018 draft trading their 2018 1st round pick 1 year in advance for Brayden Schenn and making it top 10 protected, which ended up being the 14th pick that Philadelphia got since the Blues missed the playoffs that season.

Chances are Pittsburgh won't miss the playoffs next season, however Jim Rutherford decided to give Minnesota their 2021 1st round pick instead of giving them the 15th pick of the 2020 draft.

Now if the worst case happens and Pittsburgh misses the playoffs, their 2021 1st round pick could be better then the 15th pick of the 2020 draft.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
St. Louis and did that for the 2018 draft trading their 2018 1st round pick 1 year in advance for Brayden Schenn and making it top 10 protected, which ended up being the 14th pick that Philadelphia got since the Blues missed the playoffs that season.

Chances are Pittsburgh won't miss the playoffs next season, however Jim Rutherford decided to give Minnesota their 2021 1st round pick instead of giving them the 15th pick of the 2020 draft.

Now if the worst case happens and Pittsburgh misses the playoffs, their 2021 1st round pick could be better then the 15th pick of the 2020 draft.
It is not unusual to trade conditional picks.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
It is not unusual to trade conditional picks.
It happens all the time and some people act like Dubas is the first GM who has done that.

Even if Toronto had won the 1st overall pick this year that meant Carolina would have got their 2021 1st round pick due to the top 10 protected condition. Plus I'm sure some people would want to see the Leafs miss the playoffs next season and possibly giving Carolina something better then the 13th pick in 2020.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
It happens all the time and some people act like Dubas is the first GM who has done that.

Even if Toronto had won the 1st overall pick this year that meant Carolina would have got their 2021 1st round pick due to the top 10 protected condition. Plus I'm sure some people would want to see the Leafs miss the playoffs next season and possibly giving Carolina something better then the 13th pick in 2020.
The guy who quoted you on this page sure as heck did. It is always the same people who constantly whine about Dubas and the Leafs.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Dubas wasn't the first GM who has traded a 1st round pick to get rid of a contract for cap relief.

Lou Lamoriello did that before the 2005-06 season when he was with the Devils, because he traded Vladimir Malakhov and a conditional 2006 1st round pick to San Jose, so New Jersey was able to get under the cap and re-sign Brian Gionta.

The 1st round pick ended up being the 26th overall pick in the 2007 draft and San Jose used it to move up and select Logan Couture 9th overall. The Blues who traded down with them used the 26th pick and selected David Perron.

Cap call: Devils deal Malakhov to Sharks
Didn't you cite earlier a global pandemic as the excuse why Dubas traded a first rd pick for cap relief?
How was Kyle Dubas supposed to know that on July 1, 2018 when he signed Tavares that there would be a $81 million cap because of a global pandemic in 2020 no one saw happening.
None of those other trades were in a global pandemic. You just keep changing your arguments post to post.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

I know it's popular for a lot of people like you to shit on him for every decision he makes, but come that's going to far.
Again, here is your reply. You used the Global Pandemic as an excuse for Dubas trading a first rd pick due for cap relief. Then you post a lot of non related trades that are not a pandemic. Do you know how disingenuous this looks when you say "How was Kyle Dubas supposed to know that on July 1, 2018 when he signed Tavares that there would be a $81 million cap because of a global pandemic in 2020 no one saw happening."?

I have never heard of a poster using a global pandemic as an excuse until now.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
57% of those voting on this poll would take Kadri. Mac and Kadri make in cap costs pretty similar to what Tavares does. Contract, especially in this flat cap era, has huge impact on player value.
Tavares is clearly the better player, but Kadri’s contract allows for extra cap room to add other players.

Fair point but Mack is on the best contract in the league and its not even close. I'm gonna defend the Leafs there but they could not have signed either of Matthews/Tavares to that contract based on past performances.

But yeah, Avs have such a nice couple years coming it looks a little surreal, they remind me of Tampa before the cap crunch

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Again, here is your reply. You used the Global Pandemic as an excuse for Dubas trading a first rd pick due for cap relief. Then you post a lot of non related trades that are not a pandemic. Do you know how disingenuous this looks when you say "How was Kyle Dubas supposed to know that on July 1, 2018 when he signed Tavares that there would be a $81 million cap because of a global pandemic in 2020 no one saw happening."?

I have never heard of a poster using a global pandemic as an excuse until now.
You were the one who used the $81 million flat salary cap as to why Dubas screwed up and they are only having that because of a global pandemic. If everything was normal the cap was supposed to be around $85 - 87 million.

Ramifications are obvious in a 81M cap.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
You were the one who used the $81 million flat salary cap as to why Dubas screwed up and they are only having that because of a global pandemic. If everything was normal the cap was supposed to be around $85 - 87 million.
Actually I was responding to your post above, and I asked you how many other GM's traded a first rd pick for cap relief this year that turned out to be the 13OA pick. You cited a pandemic as the excuse, and then rattled off examples not in a pandemic. This was a disingenuous argument since those were not in pandemics as you yourself cited.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Actually I was responding to your post above, and I asked you how many other GM's traded a first rd pick for cap relief this year that turned out to be the 13OA pick. You cited a pandemic as the excuse, and then rattled off examples not in a pandemic. This was a disingenuous argument since those were not in pandemics.
I also said those other trades of 1st round picks 1 year in advance of the next draft was no different, because we saw Calgary and St. Louis end up trading the 12th and 14th picks of the 2018 draft since they missed the playoffs that year.

The way you describe things is that Dubas is the first GM who traded a 1st round pick 1 year in advance which was conditionally traded.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

No you didn't, this is exactly what I replied to.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Besides the ramifications of the Tavares signing it's also true at that time no one thought the NHL would have a $81 million flat salary cap due to a global pandemic 2 years later, so tell me what was wrong about that statement?

Because you're implying that the only reason the Tavares contract is having an impact on the Leafs' cap is because of the flat cap caused by the pandemic. That's not the case at all. Tavares' contract was already having an impact on the Leafs' cap situation prior to this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad