Kadri vs Tavares, contracts and ramifications included

Your pick?

• Total voters

Techcoockie

Feb 3, 2020
Mtl
As a fan of a team that has had both and seen both play for a significant amount of time, I prefer having Tavares as the #2C.

Absolutely stoked for Kadri, the amazing fit he has had on the Avs, and hoping he hoists the cup this year. However, he is a significant downgrade on Tavares.
in a nutshell, the reason the Leafs will stay mediocre. your reasoning is baffling.

Matthews/Kadri would have been 1000 better, Tavares is not even near his cap worth and is doing nothing compared to Kadri during the playoff.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
in a nutshell, the reason the Leafs will stay mediocre. your reasoning is baffling.

Matthews/Kadri would have been 1000 better, Tavares is not even near his cap worth and is doing nothing compared to Kadri during the playoff.
I know its hard to remember a time when Kadri was with the Leafs, but his playoffs weren't too stellar for the Leafs. In fact, he was suspended for two series in a row leaving us with a gaping hole in the lineup.

People need to look past what Kadri is doing with the Avs (which is great), because he was not doing that with the Leafs. The Leafs had Kadri for 19 playoff games and he had 3 goals and 7 assists (and an additional 8 playoff games suspended).

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Good for him. However the Avalanche are still down 3-2 in the series and using a game winning goal since the score was already 3-0 in the 1st period when he scored isn't something to brag about.
It's still 5 more post season GWG's scored than Tavares has scored this year, and at 4.5M per not 11M per.

Techcoockie

Feb 3, 2020
Mtl
he Leafs had Kadri for 19 playoff games and he had 3 goals and 7 assists (and an additional 8 games suspended).

Kadri playoff points in career: 32gp 26p
Tavares playoff points in career: 36gp and 30p

Kadri cap hit: 4.5M
Tavares cap hit: 11M

Both play similar minutes.

please tell me how WORTH Tavares was (while not being able to sign a #1 RD with the 11M cap hit) I'm all ears

Last edited:

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Kadri playoff points in career: 32gp 26p
Tavares playoff points in career: 36gp and 30p

Kadri cap hit: 4.5M
Tavares cap hit: 11M

Both play similar minutes.

please tell me how WORTH Tavares was (while not being able to sign a #1 LD with the 11M cap hit) I'm all ears

You obviously aren't all ears, because I already told you. Kadri has been a Leafs his entire career. He has played all of his playoff games prior to this year with the Leafs. He had not been very good at all in the playoffs. Using his amazing run with Colorado this year to suggest that he'd do that with the Leafs is silly, because he has been with the Leafs for a very long time and did no produce anywhere near that much. Following still?

Tavares is a much better player than Kadri. $6.5-mill better? No, of course not, but I'd certainly rather have him in the #2 slot than Kadri. What D-man should the Leafs have signed with the money between Kadri/Tavares? Who has been available that would be worth a massive downgrade at center (and yes, the difference is significant)? Should the Leafs have not signed a #1 center for the sole reason that 3 or 4 years down the line Pietroangelo might hit UFA and might choose the Leafs? Tavares' contract isn't the Leafs issue. Its the crazy Marner contract that really holds them back, IMO.

Side note, LD is the one of the Leafs strongest positions (Rielly/Muzzin/Dermott/Sandin), so they wouldn't be looking for a #1 LD.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
You obviously aren't all ears, because I already told you. Kadri has been a Leafs his entire career. He has played all of his playoff games prior to this year with the Leafs. He had not been very good at all in the playoffs. Using his amazing run with Colorado this year to suggest that he'd do that with the Leafs is silly, because he has been with the Leafs for a very long time and did no produce anywhere near that much. Following still?

Tavares is a much better player than Kadri. $6.5-mill better? No, of course not, but I'd certainly rather have him in the #2 slot than Kadri. What D-man should the Leafs have signed with the money between Kadri/Tavares? Who has been available that would be worth a massive downgrade at center (and yes, the difference is significant)? Should the Leafs have not signed a #1 center for the sole reason that 3 or 4 years down the line Pietroangelo might hit UFA and might choose the Leafs? Tavares' contract isn't the Leafs issue. Its the crazy Marner contract that really holds them back, IMO.

Side note, LD is the one of the Leafs strongest positions (Rielly/Muzzin/Dermott/Sandin), so they wouldn't be looking for a #1 LD.
Even when Kadri made the playoffs for Toronto he was also suspended for a total of 8 games between the 2018 and 2019 playoffs.

In 2013 when he managed to play all 7 games he had 4 points.

In 2017 when he managed to play all 6 games he had 2 points.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad