Value of: Kaapo Kakko

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Yeah, JEE and KK are not top 10 picks.
KK not even a top 10 pick in the 5th round…
The poster i was replying said the reason that euro picks don't work out was because of the ice size, not where they were picked. I think that's BS. NYR have either been unlucky, or incompetent when it comes to drafting recently. Nothing to do with ice size.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
The poster i was replying said the reason that euro picks don't work out was because of the ice size, not where they were picked. I think that's BS. NYR have either been unlucky, or incompetent when it comes to drafting recently. Nothing to do with ice size.
Well Laf and Kakko were no-brainers. So they would've really had to go against the grain to pick someone else. I think it can be clearly drilled down to development and coaching. Total lack of confidence in Kakko, so much so that you can visually see it's effect on his on-ice confidence, is a forefront reason for me.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Well Laf and Kakko were no-brainers. So they would've really had to go against the grain to pick someone else. I think it can be clearly drilled down to development and coaching. Total lack of confidence in Kakko, so much so that you can visually see it's effect on his on-ice confidence, is a forefront reason for me.
agreed. Laf is the one that fooled just about everyone, especially, but in hindsight both should've been held back from the NHL for at least another year. Would it have made any difference, longterm? :dunno:

Reactions: FlyguyOX

EK392000

Mar 9, 2020
no
OP = overreaction
KK is a keeper

He was fine on kid line
they insisted on breaking that up
since LaF skating improved enuf for him to hang w/bread, that is a thing

Chytil is fine [recovery from injury notwithstanding]
He and KK have great physical tools
KK simply lacks mins to be comfy w/anybody, anytime
like most performs best when there is chemistry

stop win now foolishness
develop quality assets
Until we sell high on new and improved LaF = bring in Othmann
would do Cuyle-Chytil-Kakko

obv no sacred cows
obv anyone including KK can be had if too much on the table
but not expecting high enuf offers until
Rs listen to bern
return to kid line
or CCK as above
If you keep selling off your young players once their value is maximized, the Rangers basically become a farm team for the rest of the league and won’t win anything. Making way for youth is one thing, but clearing out players as soon as they turned 26 to make room for a 19 year old is another.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
If you keep selling off your young players once their value is maximized, the Rangers basically become a farm team for the rest of the league and won’t win anything. Making way for youth is one thing, but clearing out players as soon as they turned 26 to make room for a 19 year old is another.
I’m starting to become convinced that Bern is Hebekiah or whatever the leading kid’s name is from Children of The Corn.

Once they’re over 26, kill them! No adults!

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Your post is non sequitur b'c I am advocating hold, not sell KK [unless way too much there to turn down.

As to the rest of it, obv, some young players you keep, presum the better/best ones, and move the rest.
You do that to manage the cap, not let it manage you, b'c keeping players when they reach developed level and corresponding production means increased salary

SRHRangers

Aug 18, 2020
Kakko will eventually get out of NY and shine.

He has for the most part, got done dirty in NYC.

It is inevitable.

Reactions: FlyguyOX

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He's worth a 2nd. That's pretty much the standard offer for players off their ELC who haven't lived up to their draft position.

EK392000

Mar 9, 2020
Your post is non sequitur b'c I am advocating hold, not sell KK [unless way too much there to turn down.

As to the rest of it, obv, some young players you keep, presum the better/best ones, and move the rest.
You do that to manage the cap, not let it manage you, b'c keeping players when they reach developed level and corresponding production means increased salary
I was referring to the part where you said you would sell high on Laf.

I see what you’re saying about the cap but reaching this “developed level” with “corresponding production” is what you need to win games. No team has ever won a cup with every player on an ELC or a bridge deal.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
He's having a bad year but will make his next bridge deal extremely cheap which will be valuable for the Rangers. Currently he's not worth 2.1m but he had a solid year last year and could bounce back. They shouldn't sell low.

gritdash60

Aug 9, 2022
Behind the net
He's having a bad year but will make his next bridge deal extremely cheap which will be valuable for the Rangers. Currently he's not worth 2.1m but he had a solid year last year and could bounce back. They shouldn't sell low.
He's having a bad year, but his trajectory is also as a finnish hockey fan, sadly very similar to Puljujärvi. If i put down the fandom for finnish players and just be reasonable, they should've traded him long ago, and should now if they still can get something of value for him.

Reactions: Homesick

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
That 2019 draft after Hughes, kind of a what happened?
Kakko, Dach, both bigger forwards who were on NHL rosters at 18. Have not produced to their draft position.
Byram - concussion early in his career, seemed to have rebounded.
Turcotte - beset by injury, has not shown much at NHL level
Seider - excellent rookie year. Should be a rock solid top pairing RHD
Cozens - played well so far
Broberg - in the A,
Zegras - insane hands. Needs to learn how to play without the puck.
Podkolzin - in the A.
Covid ruined a lot of young players development

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
Ranger fans also wanted to trade Panarin for nothing in the offseaaon. I think its says more about Ranger fans then the players.

That's because the Panarin you see now is not Panarin you get in the playoffs.

A little bit of context goes a long way.

No Ranger fans are pissed about his ability to stack powerplay points against Ottawa, Columbus and Detroit in November and December.

They're pissed because he's been bad in the playoffs when the games mean something

Talik Sanis

Feb 23, 2012
Montreal
Covid ruined a lot of young players development
Dach has suffered so many injuries, and lost so much development time, that it's impossible to say what he might be, or could have been.

There have been flashes of dominance in his board-work and vision, and the ability to elevate the players around him, but those could have been flukes and we've no idea how his latest, season-ending injury will affect him going forward.

That's the one that gets to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad