Value of: Kaapo Kakko

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Kakko was playing much better this time last year. Most Rangers fans felt he would breakout this season instead of Laf (who’s pacing to breakout, but hasn’t officially broken out).

Still wouldn’t move him. His potential here in NY is still greater than what he’d fetch in a trade.

What's necessary from the Avs side? I think they'd be quite interested.
Nothing realistic.

Reactions: FlyguyOX

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
He's an underpaid checking forward right now that can chip in 15 goals and 35-40 points.

Rangers can't move a player like that based on their cap situation alone. If his name was John Smith and he was taken in the 5th round in 2020 nobody would care. He's fine. He's never gonna be a 40/40 guy, his game just hasn't translated to the smaller ice.

This is a big reason why I really dislike taking Euro players in the top 10. They literally learned to play hockey on a different size playing surface that is not conducive to being successful in the NHL. Obviously tons of guys cross over and are elite in the NHL but for every one of those guys there are 10 guys that become bottom sixers in NA or don't make it at all.

Kravtsov, Kakko, Andersson. Chytil has had limited success and his situation is playing out just peachy too.

It
Never
Works
Out

Reactions: Scintillating10

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
I can see the Habs being interested. They have traded for Dach and Newhook the past two years when they had lower trade value. Kakko fits the bill with the expedited rebuild.

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
He's an underpaid checking forward right now that can chip in 15 goals and 35-40 points.

Rangers can't move a player like that based on their cap situation alone. If his name was John Smith and he was taken in the 5th round in 2020 nobody would care. He's fine. He's never gonna be a 40/40 guy, his game just hasn't translated to the smaller ice.

This is a big reason why I really dislike taking Euro players in the top 10. They literally learned to play hockey on a different size playing surface that is not conducive to being successful in the NHL. Obviously tons of guys cross over and are elite in the NHL but for every one of those guys there are 10 guys that become bottom sixers in NA or don't make it at all.

Kravtsov, Kakko, Andersson. Chytil has had limited success and his situation is playing out just peachy too.

It
Never
Works
Out
Maybe not for the Rangers but it works out great for lots of other teams and players. Datsyuk and Zetterberg went straight from Europe to the NHL for example with no issues.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Not trading one of Kakko or Laf for Jack Eichel + ponying up for Zib's contract is gonna lead to some talks in the future about the Rangers thinking at the time.

I can see the Habs being interested. They have traded for Dach and Newhook the past two years when they had lower trade value. Kakko fits the bill with the expedited rebuild.

Josh Anderson for Kakko so the black hole of hilarious trade proposals seals up.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee

It
Never
Works
Out
A lot of college and NA junior teams also use other than NHL standard rinks.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
Kakko was playing much better this time last year. Most Rangers fans felt he would breakout this season instead of Laf (who’s pacing to breakout, but hasn’t officially broken out).

Still wouldn’t move him. His potential here in NY is still greater than what he’d fetch in a trade.

Nothing realistic.
Avs couldn't really move any roster pieces for him (except a throw-in like Tatar) but maybe they have some futures the Rangers could flip for more immediate help.

Not saying it's realistic but I feel like he's a guy they'd be aggressive after given their success with guys like Nichuskin and their interest in him during his draft year.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019

It
Never
Works
Out

I don’t mind taking Euros, only if they played in North America before they get drafted like WHL, QMJHL, OHL, Canada or USA hockey, like Maxim Barbashev for example. No reason to draft from Europe, especially if the Rangers won’t know if they will get used to the smaller ice surface. That is a big issue for these players drafted out of Europe.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I'm not going to throw out offers but if the Rangers show interest in Lindholm, I'd love for Kakko to be involved

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
They could probably do a change of scenery move for another young former blue chip player who hasn't lived up to his potential.

Maybe something like Kakko for Lafreniere.
let bern find out the 5 other pieces, that have to be added on either side

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
The hope that he can become Nichushkin feels a little flimsy.

To me, he's on the Zacha trajectory of value and it'll end in a similar kind of low stakes, low impact hockey trade.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN

It
Never
Works
Out
I know, the Wild got stuck with Kaprizov, Brodin, and Joel Eriksson-Ek .... wait a second....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad