Value of: Kaapo Kakko

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
He'll be fine offensively once they figure out best fit for hi + linemates to have best chemistry
he has sufficient tools
should do kid line again for now
other roster moves
then things settle...

bern seal of approval
he's a keeper

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
3 Selkes minimum eh?

Eh...does he get those Selkes if he was on a bottom feeder at the time?

Dallas was a Cup champion and deep round powerhouse of a team. That has some sway in trophy voting.

Not taking away from Jere, he was a perfect player that every team needs to be successful. Suggesting Kakko isn't on the level if no Selkes, or that Jere was a God of a two-way player is missing the subtleties of how that distinguishment is earned.

Kappo is already leaps ahead defensively of his peer age range, and, has shown he can average 40+ pts a season. Jere had very similar characteristics and stats. What separates them remains to be team success, which, lead to Jere's legacy in NHL history as an individual.

Time will tell.

I stand by my statement. It's not a far fetched assessment.

Reactions: Jaska

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

Dallas was a Cup champion and deep round powerhouse of a team. That has some sway in trophy voting.

Not taking away from Jere, he was a perfect player that every team needs to be successful. Suggesting Kakko isn't on the level if no Selkes, or that Jere was a God of a two-way player is missing the subtleties of how that distinguishment is earned.

Kappo is already leaps ahead defensively of his peer age range, and, has shown he can average 40+ pts a season. Jere had very similar characteristics and stats. What separates them remains to be team success, which, lead to Jere's legacy in NHL history as an individual.

Time will tell.

What separates them is that Lehtinen was voted the best defensive forward in the league 3 times and Kappo hasn't even received a Selke vote. The only players in the history of the award to win it more were Gainey and Bergeron.

Would you diminish Bergeron or Gainey's Selke wins because of their teams success? Carbonneau? Fedorov? Datsyuk? Kopitar? Brind'Amour?

Seems like all the multiple winners played on great teams. Makes you wonder whether great defensive forwards do a lot to make teams great.

Kakko would be very lucky at this point if his ceiling ended up being Lehtinen.

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
What separates them is that Lehtinen was voted the best defensive forward in the league 3 times and Kappo hasn't even received a Selke vote. The only players in the history of the award to win it more were Gainey and Bergeron.

Would you diminish Bergeron or Gainey's Selke wins because of their teams success? Carbonneau? Fedorov? Datsyuk? Kopitar? Brind'Amour?

Seems like all the multiple winners played on great teams. Makes you wonder whether great defensive forwards do a lot to make teams great.

Kakko would be very lucky at this point if his ceiling ended up being Lehtinen.

Award trophies are voted upon by people with opinions and credentials.

I think you are cherry picking one very narrow issue and ignoring that one player had a lengthy career and the other is just getting started.

Never, and I stress NEVER once did I state they were of the same caliber. I stated that Kakko is more or less in the mold of and on the same path. YOU chose to go with the absolute hyperbole that 3 Selkes was the pinnacle of greatness and somehow my assessment was fallible.

Did nothing I wrote in between about how Jere deserves his recognition strike a semblance of truth to you?

Stop arguing just for the sake of having an argument. Anyone reading my former posts can see you are cherry picking my post just to argue. I Covered my ass enough that I didn't directly compare the two. I wrote in very specific terms that Jere earned his reputation, but that if I had to pick a player Kakko could wind up emulating over the entirety of his career, it was Jere.

It's okay to make projections, especially when people are calling the kid a bust because he isn't an 80pt 2nd OA player.

My original post was about perspective and the value of players who aren't Super Stars. No need to be a dick because reading comprehension is difficult for you and I didnt meet YOU'RE criteria, letter for letter, of a kid in his 4th year vs a retired vet who did his time over 14 years.

Relax, Francis.

Crazy8oooo

Puck Off!
Sep 12, 2010
Orange County

Time will tell.

Maybe you worded it incorrectly and meant something different, but he hasn’t shown that he can average 40+ points a season. He’s scored 40 once. His career stats are close to averaging 30 points a season and certainly not 40”+”.

I think he can definitely get there, though.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Award trophies are voted upon by people with opinions and credentials.

I think you are cherry picking one very narrow issue and ignoring that one player had a lengthy career and the other is just getting started.

Never, and I stress NEVER once did I state they were of the same caliber. I stated that Kakko is more or less in the mold of and on the same path. YOU chose to go with the absolute hyperbole that 3 Selkes was the pinnacle of greatness and somehow my assessment was fallible.

Did nothing I wrote in between about how Jere deserves his recognition strike a semblance of truth to you?

Stop arguing just for the sake of having an argument. Anyone reading my former posts can see you are cherry picking my post just to argue. I Covered my ass enough that I didn't directly compare the two. I wrote in very specific terms that Jere earned his reputation, but that if I had to pick a player Kakko could wind up emulating over the entirety of his career, it was Jere.

It's okay to make projections, especially when people are calling the kid a bust because he isn't an 80pt 2nd OA player.

My original post was about perspective and the value of players who aren't Super Stars. No need to be a dick because reading comprehension is difficult for you and I didnt meet YOU'RE criteria, letter for letter, of a kid in his 4th year vs a retired vet who did his time over 14 years.

Relax, Francis.
What part of "I'm seeing a Jere Lehtinen floor with Kapp" did my reading not comprehend?

It's a goofy statement because his floor is well, well below one if the best defensive forwards of all time. His floor is what he is now - a serviceable 3rd liner.

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
I would trade Holtz for him 1 for 1. Two former high end prospects in need of a change of scenery.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
1699663907703.png

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Rangers fans were saying Kakko is much better than Laf this offseason, not the case anymore?

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Lavy destroyed this guy and his confidence like he always does young players wherever he goes

Rangers fans were saying Kakko is much better than Laf this offseason, not the case anymore?
Was controlling play and doing fine on 1st line, but Lavy doesn’t understand metrics so he threw him on a checking line with bums and Kakko is clearly playing with zero confidence now. Laf is lucky enough to play with skilled linemates

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad