Value of: Kaapo Kakko

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
I will after you answer this ?:
does R mgmt bend, buckle and break and listen to me,
or
do we have to rely on their continued nonsense?
Your ideas have always seemed out there to me, I do not watch the Rangers enough to have an opinion on any secondary players. Some front offices put everything together, yours missed on Kakko and LaFreniere(neither of which you can pin on management) probably costing you a Cup. The last time I was a Ranger fan was when the GAG Line was together.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
Wasn't he supposed to be the next Barkov? I said Puljujarvi 2.0 and was mocked. A can't miss prospect, I was told.

This is going to amaze you but... not every prospect hit their potential. Some fall short. & wait for it... some even bust and don't pan out at all.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Mm? He's been constantly fine. Despite low offensive production the team performs well with him on the ice, a decent middle-six player with upside.

You're grasping for straws if you think Kakko has upside at 24. He's Puljujarvi all over again and even he showed more scoring touch.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
You're grasping for straws if you think Kakko has upside at 24. He's Puljujarvi all over again and even he showed more scoring touch.
This is just flat out wrong. Kakko plays a man’s game. Will give you 30-45 pts a year depending on deployment PK/PP neither which he gets a chance to do in NY.
Great along the boards, responsible defensively, and a big body that can score at even strength.
He may never live up to 2OA star status but he’s more Silfverberg the Puj tbh.
Whether NYR keeps him over the offseason or they feel they can replace him with Berard/Othmann next season for a cheaper cost remains to be seen, but he should have a long solid NHL career, hopefully any team that trades for him gives him PP/PK opportunities

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Just like LaF, whose Achilles heel wuz skating but that is now fully adequate +, and he is kicking it w/correct linemates->chemistry, the more gifted KK is not far away on the development path and will blossom further when they get the correct pivot to replace Chytil --- assuming Rs mgmt is smart enuf to listen to bern and keep him w/Cuylle

Reactions: markymarc1215

markymarc1215

Jan 8, 2023
Southwest Florida
Kakko will be a very serviceable 2nd/3rd line tweener with 30-40 point abilities.

I'm 1000% comfortable keeping him in NY
This. Yes, he hasn't panned out considering his draft position and pedigree after breaking records in Finland. But let's put draft position aside at this point because he likely never justifies the draft position.

I am perfectly comfortable having Kakko on the 3rd line being a possession monster and playing a good defensive game. If he ends up being a 40pt player each season but can shut down other forwards and flash skill here and there, then I will take it. If he ends up as another Lehkonen, it is still a valuable draft pick.

It frustrates me that he doesnt shoot or hit more considering his game, but the guy is still a legit player on a Cup contending team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad