Jvr $ (underated or overrated)

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
again I think that's going to be true of any 1st line player who's paid like a 1st line player. For example, if you take Ovechkin's scoring away he's a gigantic albatross of a contract

So I'll agree that JVR needs to score to be valuable, but David Clarkson was a gritty player who was brought in to fill a similar role and when he didn't score he was also a hugely negative value

I'm not talking size of contract or comparing players, I'm talking of value of a player. JVR is a good 25 ish goals per year kind of player. That has certain value to a team. But one of the posters here was arguing that he's not soft. He is soft, but he still manages to get us 25 goals. So in the goal production department he is good for us. In the goal prevention department, he sucks. In the work ethic department, he sucks. In the team leadership roll, he sucks.

I would trade him at TDL for the most of whatever we can get. Watch his 25 ish goals disappear, but hope we develop a better all around player (Kapanen) that gives us more than the net value of JVR's goals scored minus goals against that could be attributed to him. Most likely at a lower cost as well.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
This study breaks down regression by first, second, third, and fourth liners:
http://nerdhockey.com/by-the-numbers/2015/8/7/when-do-nhl-forwards-regress

There is a serious dropoff after age 30 in terms of players who are being deployed by their teams 5v5 as first liners.

It's interesting that this guy has tried to separate the tiers of players, but I have some criticisms of his methodology:
- he's used TOI/gp as the thing that differentiates what line each player plays on, which makes sense on the surface but then when you start thinking about distribution of talent around the league there is some holes: guys like Zajac and Henrique get 1st line minutes in NJ, guys like Kucherov in TB don't. The uneven distribution of talent between teams creates a big disparity between the best 90 forwards in the league and the top 90 forwards by toi/gp in my opinion
- The regression that's being shown in this is really the regression in usage of players of each age, not so much the output per minute (which stays surprisingly constant)
- P/60 as a measure of offensive output isn't a great isolator of a players value, IMO, and is heavily influenced by the player's deployment and linemates (ie. Chris Kunitz maintained a ~2.3p/60 between 30 and 34 years old, but no one thinks that's because he's an exception, it's because he plays with the best player in the world. for 1st line players, there is many who play with franchise level talents and who's numbers would be artificially inflated in the early years and that artificial inflation would drop if their deployment does - and again I didn't see anything that made me think that this list was compiled from a rolling average list, looks like a static set chosen at a point in time then the same group of players tracked as they aged which would show up as a larger regression than had actually taken place and should actually have been attributed, at least in part, to playing with worse linemates)
- if the average player as he hits 30 is being deployed on a lower line than he as previously (which is what this is saying, more guys are deployed as 1st liners at younger ages than those at 30 and beyond) and still maintains his offensive production (the blue segmented line), that would mean that he maintains the offensive output in spite of worse linemates - and that's the average player
- it appears that this data set is 5v5, so doesn't account for any pp value that a player brings

This really looks more like an exercise to stress test the studies that are available, and it's interesting but for from perfect (which I would think the author would freely acknowledge). But let's look past the flaws for the sake of argument:

- the P/60 output of a large number of players is being averaged over a period of time, there is a deviation from the average in every one of those individual data sets - no one player is following this performance arc exactly. So while it certainly suggests that a player is likely to begin to decline in their 30's in terms of deployment (which I agree there is a considerable risk of as a result of younger, cheaper options becoming available), it doesn't suggest that there's a big drop off in production associated to aging (in fact says the opposite pretty much right off the hop)

- JVR's production over the last 2 seasons in terms of P/60 is 2.26, so if he maintains that or anywhere close to it in a 5v5 situation at ~15 mins per night, that would give him about 46pts 5v5 plus his normal 15-20 pp points to end up in the 60-65pt range. The deployment (which is what this exercise is suggesting changes over time) is at the control of the coach

So, I acknowledge the risk of regression past 30, still does not look like an intolerable risk to me. This exercise is really to show when average players make the transition away from each tier of line, not when they become less capable of playing in the same capacity

JVR not being a great 200 ft. player is a big deal. Wing is already the last position to build around.

Wingers can also still have a great impact defensively. Witness Chicago with Hossa and Sharp. Part of what made them so valuable is how they were awesome defensively (or in Sharp's case even played center sometime). JVR doesn't bring that.

If you could get JVR for 5 x 6M per then it becomes a tough decision to resign or not. But that is well under market for what he could get and I just don't see it happening.

I think you're looking at a MINIMUM of 6 years x 6 per but most likely add on a year or close to 1M in salary and there's way too much downside with almost no upside on that kind of a deal.

Dustin Brown, Andrew Ladd, Ryan Callahan, Kyle Okposo, Loui Eriksson, Milan Lucic, Brad Marchand have set the market in recent years.

As for the comparisions you noted:

Malkin, Ovi, Radulov are also all only 30. 2 of them have been Hart level candidates for most of their careers. Radulov didn't see the wear and tear of the NHL for years so he's not really a comparable.

Getzlaf and Perry at 31 are also well off their levels of a few years ago. They also had a lot further to regress.

Steen & Carter have been aging well so I'll give you that.

Optimistically I see JVR as a 30-30 for the first two years of his deal. I also see him as much closer to being a # 4 most important forward on a cup team (all around game) then a # 3 forward and that's without him having regressed yet.

Unless JVR is willing to take a huge hometown discount realistically I see it as best to deal him. The goal would be to get a youngish top 4 RD. But if that doesn't happen we could get assets that could be used down the road to bring in that top 4 Dman (and also have the long term cap flexibility).

Being tied to a big money deal to an aging winger is the last place to put your money long term. That money should go to the D group. Preventing goals is also our biggest issue.

Wing is the easiest positions for youngsters to make the jump to the NHL. And it also happens to be where our prospect pool is best.

Wing is also the easiest position to trade to bring a guy in as more of a finishing touch piece. Witness all the wingers the Kings, Pens, Bruins, Hawks brought in over the years.

Wing is also the easiest position to fill via UFA and one benefit of being a team on the rise in the "Hockey Universe" with two elite forward in Matthews + Marner is players near the end who still got a year or two of game are likely to sign with us for cheap or less to try for a cup.

Anyways, build around the D. The winger situation will be fine and short term fixes can always be found that don't require long term commitments at big dollars that have far more downside than upside.

I opt to trade him if we can't get him for 5 years or less, term is the scary part for me, I want to be free of the contract by the time he's ~34

Ovy is a 1985, so he's 31 turning 32 this year, and Radulov played in the 2nd best league in the world for the whole time he wasn't in the NHL so I disagree on the wear and tear part. Anyway there's lots of examples of guys who have regressed, and lots of examples of guys who haven't (or who have rejuvenated their careers after a down year) and we can't know where JVR fits, all we can do is measure the risk/cap impact/impact of losing him and make a decision

I agree on the trade for a young top 4 RHD, if we can get that for JVR or the assets we got for JVR, I'm all for it

The thing that I don't want to get missed is that next year is not a rebuilding year, it's a contending year. I don't disagree that our system is likely to net a viable replacement for JVR, but it has to do so in a hurry if that's the plan - we need that scoring next year. Or, if we can get a dman for JVR, maybe we look to free agency for a winger replacement

Last edited:

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I'm not talking size of contract or comparing players, I'm talking of value of a player. JVR is a good 25 ish goals per year kind of player. That has certain value to a team. But one of the posters here was arguing that he's not soft. He is soft, but he still manages to get us 25 goals. So in the goal production department he is good for us. In the goal prevention department, he sucks. In the work ethic department, he sucks. In the team leadership roll, he sucks.

I would trade him at TDL for the most of whatever we can get. Watch his 25 ish goals disappear, but hope we develop a better all around player (Kapanen) that gives us more than the net value of JVR's goals scored minus goals against that could be attributed to him. Most likely at a lower cost as well.

JVR's much closer to being a 30 goal player than a 25 goal player, he got hurt last year and we got him in a lockout shortened season, but he's maintained a 29 and change goal pace over almost 300 games as a leaf, can't punish him for not having the opportunity to play full seasons

That's fine to call him soft, I don't think he's Boone Jenner either, but I think the value of that is very overstated. His work ethic and defense I think are on the low end of mediocre but get overblown as "awful" - his net xGF% (about the best individual measure of a player's net contribution to goals for and against) is a positive for the last couple of years - JVR's defense got a lot better after Babcock got here, same for Bozak

I agree that he's here to score goals, but important not to undervalue that. If we can get a young top 4 RHD with upside for him, so be it, but we need his production replaced (or add a guy with a comparable level of positive impact as the drop off between JVR and the guy who replaces him). Just really important that we don't view next year as another rebuilding year, it's time to compete

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
Babcock mentioned in a great article that came out today, that JVR has improved his lower body strength and that he, Boisterous Babcock, was impressed.

Is he dressing up a pig with lipstick for a quick sale? Well, we have seen that with Babbling Burke, but we haven't seen it here yet, with the Leafs. Anything is possible, for sure. It is a business.

Btw, Leipsec was absolutely smoked by a check this weekend, sure looks like a concussion report coming there. So our two top forwards on the Marlies are toasted for the time being. Not a good environment to bang a trade JVR drum.

Babs pump and dump on Phaneuf was one for the ages. That pig had lipstick like a Kardashian

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
If somebody is willing to give fair value for him closer to the trade deadline then go ahead, especially if its help to the blueline.

Nylander/Kapanen can be moved into JVR's spot and u won't miss a beat. Nylander's contract is cheaper now and his next one should be a smaller cap hit as well for a player with similar upside. Id keep him for that reason, right now. Unless a right hand defenseman deal is too much to say no too.

At this rate, Marner is going to make JVR a rich man. JVR after 2 years of 30 goals and 70+ points is going to command 7+ plus million. He is arguably worth 7 million right now, based on his production. I think they have to move him. Marner drives that line and elevate's his linemates. JVR is having a career year. Its all because of Marner. JVR does not win u games but part of that D-core is responsible for losing games. The playoffs will only expose this further.

Paladin2799

Jul 15, 2009
Nylander/Kapanen can be moved into JVR's spot and u won't miss a beat. Nylander's contract is cheaper now and his next one should be a smaller cap hit as well for a player with similar upside. Id keep him for that reason, right now. Unless a right hand defenseman deal is too much to say no too.

At this rate, Marner is going to make JVR a rich man. JVR after 2 years of 30 goals and 70+ points is going to command 7+ plus million. He is arguably worth 7 million right now, based on his production. I think they have to move him. Marner drives that line and elevate's his linemates. JVR is having a career year. Its all because of Marner. JVR does not win u games but part of that D-core is responsiblI se for losing games. The playoffs will only expose this further.

You just wrote two paragraphs for what I can sum up in one sentance.

JVR is a good top6 complimentary piece ala Kessel(albeit a grade down IMHO).

taurine330

Nov 28, 2015
Stockholm
If JvR plays as well next season as he is currently playing, I think he will fetch some serious cash. Money that we can not afford. Within there lies the problem.

Garthinater

Nov 22, 2015
That goal was insane! Glad jvr showed up for such an important game. I'm pretty sure I remember seeing when he scores were like 18-4

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
I have criticized JVR over the course of the season but nuts to that he was a force out there tonight.

That goal also one of the best he has ever scored with the touch and foot drag to stay onside not to mention the finish.

More of that please.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
For one of the most streaky players on this team, great that he's starting to go on fire right before playoffs

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Offensively I think he's a first liner.

Defensively he sucks.

I think if we trade, he should get us a solid return.

His offense will be hard to replace.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Okposo got 6 a year (64pts)
Eriksson got 6 a year (63pts)

Dont think JVR will get much more than 6

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
The frustration with JvR is simple.

If he played the way he's played the last 2 nights, more often, he'd be an absolute freak of an offensive player in this league.

Too many times, this guy plays within himself.

I wonder how people would perceive him if he was Russian instead of American.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Nice to see him heat up offensively right before the playoffs - plus he's always done well in the post season. Still doesn't change my long term view on what to do with him.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
I would be happy if he re-signed for almost anything under 6 million.

Then try to convince Marner and Nylander that they should take the same amount when their ELC's are up.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
I have absolute faith that Lou Lamoriello's dealing with JVR will be based on the contributions made to the team. If he scores, doesn't score, hits, blocks shots, back-checks, fights, etc. Then you also have to ask how would you replace him? Is Bozak going as well? Is Nylander moving to center? Well now you need to replace two wingers on the top two lines, and that's factoring in Hyman is being used in the top six. Promote Kapanen? Leivo? ... this isn't Nylander/JVR ... so things are going backwards.

Paladin2799

Jul 15, 2009
Honestly, I think this question is really answered by where Lou sees the team.

If he thinks we are really close because the prospects have evolved, take advantage of the ELC they are on, and resign JVR and make a serious push.

Or, if you think were really good but still need to follow the plan you MUST trade JVR.

Hes a super valuable piece, but IMHO he goes at this draft/offseason for a plethora of picks to continue the plan. I think they will shop him for a defensive upgrade either a top grade prospect, or a solid defender now, but I think they will settle for a package of picks.

Paladin2799

Jul 15, 2009
I have absolute faith that Lou Lamoriello's dealing with JVR will be based on the contributions made to the team. If he scores, doesn't score, hits, blocks shots, back-checks, fights, etc. Then you also have to ask how would you replace him? Is Bozak going as well? Is Nylander moving to center? Well now you need to replace two wingers on the top two lines, and that's factoring in Hyman is being used in the top six. Promote Kapanen? Leivo? ... this isn't Nylander/JVR ... so things are going backwards.

I fully expect both bozak and JVR will be moved in the off season probably at the draft.

our offense is top notch, you can sell those pieces and continue the rebuild and not lose any steam. Your youth stepped up this year, now is when you sell veterans and add coal to the engine.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Honestly, I think this question is really answered by where Lou sees the team.

If he thinks we are really close because the prospects have evolved, take advantage of the ELC they are on, and resign JVR and make a serious push.

Or, if you think were really good but still need to follow the plan you MUST trade JVR.

Hes a super valuable piece, but IMHO he goes at this draft/offseason for a plethora of picks to continue the plan. I think they will shop him for a defensive upgrade either a top grade prospect, or a solid defender now, but I think they will settle for a package of picks.

Even if Lou sees this team's window in the next 3 years, you can't resign him AND resign the rookies.

Mar 26, 2010
JVR needs to be re-signed long term. He is a 1st line LW. Brings tons of experience.

King Leaf

Jan 2, 2015
Toronto
The frustration with JvR is simple.

If he played the way he's played the last 2 nights, more often, he'd be an absolute freak of an offensive player in this league.

Too many times, this guy plays within himself.

I wonder how people would perceive him if he was Russian instead of American.

agree completely. his only drawback really is that he's inconsistent, the other parts of his game are at worst, mediocre.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
It's interesting that this guy has tried to separate the tiers of players, but I have some criticisms of his methodology:
- he's used TOI/gp as the thing that differentiates what line each player plays on, which makes sense on the surface but then when you start thinking about distribution of talent around the league there is some holes: guys like Zajac and Henrique get 1st line minutes in NJ, guys like Kucherov in TB don't. The uneven distribution of talent between teams creates a big disparity between the best 90 forwards in the league and the top 90 forwards by toi/gp in my opinion
- The regression that's being shown in this is really the regression in usage of players of each age, not so much the output per minute (which stays surprisingly constant)
- P/60 as a measure of offensive output isn't a great isolator of a players value, IMO, and is heavily influenced by the player's deployment and linemates (ie. Chris Kunitz maintained a ~2.3p/60 between 30 and 34 years old, but no one thinks that's because he's an exception, it's because he plays with the best player in the world. for 1st line players, there is many who play with franchise level talents and who's numbers would be artificially inflated in the early years and that artificial inflation would drop if their deployment does - and again I didn't see anything that made me think that this list was compiled from a rolling average list, looks like a static set chosen at a point in time then the same group of players tracked as they aged which would show up as a larger regression than had actually taken place and should actually have been attributed, at least in part, to playing with worse linemates)
- if the average player as he hits 30 is being deployed on a lower line than he as previously (which is what this is saying, more guys are deployed as 1st liners at younger ages than those at 30 and beyond) and still maintains his offensive production (the blue segmented line), that would mean that he maintains the offensive output in spite of worse linemates - and that's the average player
- it appears that this data set is 5v5, so doesn't account for any pp value that a player brings

This really looks more like an exercise to stress test the studies that are available, and it's interesting but for from perfect (which I would think the author would freely acknowledge). But let's look past the flaws for the sake of argument:

- the P/60 output of a large number of players is being averaged over a period of time, there is a deviation from the average in every one of those individual data sets - no one player is following this performance arc exactly. So while it certainly suggests that a player is likely to begin to decline in their 30's in terms of deployment (which I agree there is a considerable risk of as a result of younger, cheaper options becoming available), it doesn't suggest that there's a big drop off in production associated to aging (in fact says the opposite pretty much right off the hop)

- JVR's production over the last 2 seasons in terms of P/60 is 2.26, so if he maintains that or anywhere close to it in a 5v5 situation at ~15 mins per night, that would give him about 46pts 5v5 plus his normal 15-20 pp points to end up in the 60-65pt range. The deployment (which is what this exercise is suggesting changes over time) is at the control of the coach

So, I acknowledge the risk of regression past 30, still does not look like an intolerable risk to me. This exercise is really to show when average players make the transition away from each tier of line, not when they become less capable of playing in the same capacity

I opt to trade him if we can't get him for 5 years or less, term is the scary part for me, I want to be free of the contract by the time he's ~34

Ovy is a 1985, so he's 31 turning 32 this year, and Radulov played in the 2nd best league in the world for the whole time he wasn't in the NHL so I disagree on the wear and tear part. Anyway there's lots of examples of guys who have regressed, and lots of examples of guys who haven't (or who have rejuvenated their careers after a down year) and we can't know where JVR fits, all we can do is measure the risk/cap impact/impact of losing him and make a decision

I agree on the trade for a young top 4 RHD, if we can get that for JVR or the assets we got for JVR, I'm all for it

The thing that I don't want to get missed is that next year is not a rebuilding year, it's a contending year. I don't disagree that our system is likely to net a viable replacement for JVR, but it has to do so in a hurry if that's the plan - we need that scoring next year. Or, if we can get a dman for JVR, maybe we look to free agency for a winger replacement

complete and utter hog wash

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
JVR's much closer to being a 30 goal player than a 25 goal player, he got hurt last year and we got him in a lockout shortened season, but he's maintained a 29 and change goal pace over almost 300 games as a leaf, can't punish him for not having the opportunity to play full seasons

That's fine to call him soft, I don't think he's Boone Jenner either, but I think the value of that is very overstated. His work ethic and defense I think are on the low end of mediocre but get overblown as "awful" - his net xGF% (about the best individual measure of a player's net contribution to goals for and against) is a positive for the last couple of years - JVR's defense got a lot better after Babcock got here, same for Bozak

I agree that he's here to score goals, but important not to undervalue that. If we can get a young top 4 RHD with upside for him, so be it, but we need his production replaced (or add a guy with a comparable level of positive impact as the drop off between JVR and the guy who replaces him). Just really important that we don't view next year as another rebuilding year, it's time to compete

again, full blown hog wash:shakehead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad