Jvr $ (underated or overrated)

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
This is a question geared towards the trade JVR camp but even the keep him camp must have limits.

What reasonable amount would you be content with if management thought that he was a needed veteran presence and was offered a contact. Basically asking what you think a "wants to stay in Toronto" discount would look like.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
this will be probably be his last chance at a big contract , i don't see him giving a discount

he'll probably sign for 6m plus x 7 yrs as a ufa

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
I don't want him if he's gonna cost any more then kadri basically.. but I don't see that happening, so I'm in the trade camp.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Depends on the years being offered.

I'd imagine he would want:

6.5M x 6 Yrs

OR

6M x 8 Years.

It's a tough price to pay as you're buying into the years a winger declines.

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
Yeah i'm expecting him to take no less than 6mil unfortunately. That being said, I loved his role in the leafs since he first came here and how he's enhanced his net presence dramatically.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
I don't want him if he's gonna cost any more then kadri basically.. but I don't see that happening, so I'm in the trade camp.

Seriously? $4.5 is the highest that you would be willing to offer? If he accepted $5.25 x 7 you woul be upset?

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Depends on the years being offered.

I'd imagine he would want:

6.5M x 6 Yrs

OR

6M x 8 Years.

It's a tough price to pay as you're buying into the years a winger declines.

I agree that these figures are pretty close. I'm looking for numbers that you would feel comfortable giving him.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
I wouldn't want to give a 29 year old secondary core player a ~6-8 year contract.

I'd explore a ~5 year contract, if he absolutely wanted longer term, like an Eriksson, Ladd, Lucic, etc type of recent UFA contract, I'd rather just sell him off I think.

So essentially I would sell him off, cause realistically he will insist on a long deal. That's what guys get, but they're very risky and often backfire. I'd only give long contracts like that to younger guys, or legitimate main core guys.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I wouldn't offer him more than a 3 or 4 year extension. Any more than that, we'd have to hope the team cap is in the 90 million range. Good player but can't afford him with Mathews, Marner and Nylander and Zaitsev contracts coming up.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
He has to be looking at 6M PLUS
With term 6 to 8 years
More than I'd be comfortable with

Joel Ward

Sep 24, 2012
Toronto
I can't see him signing for less than Okposo got, so I'm thinking probably 7 × 6.5. With Matthews, Marner, and Nylander coming off of ELC's and the fact that we will likely still need to add a top pairing defender somehow, I would be surprised if he is retained.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Cant remember who it was on tsn, i think dreger, speculated that he would be looking high 5's or low 6's.

Reydin

Jun 21, 2008
To me his comparable is James Neal 6 x 5M. I could live with up to 6 x 5.5 or 4 x 6 We will miss his net presence if we trade him plus he's our only real top 6 LW. Some how this thought process that 30 goal LW is easy to replace boggles my mind. If he wants anything above 6 I'm open to trading him for another young LW with potential and a 1st. The trade value of a RHD has just gone through the roof since the Larsson-Hall trade.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
If he's willing to take $6M or less per year for 6 or fewer years, and management thinks they can make that work with their cap structure plans for the future, I'm fine with that. Ideally, we'd re-sign him and then move him once we need to look at the futures of Rielly, Kadri, and - hopefully - Zaitsev.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Probably looking at 6-8ish million over 6-7 years.

But too rich for my blood Matthews could be looking at 10+million, Nylander and Marner will be looking for big dollars too. Leafs can only spend so much on forwards.....

Given his age I'm in the "pro trade him" camp.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
this will be probably be his last chance at a big contract , i don't see him giving a discount

he'll probably sign for 6m plus x 7 yrs as a ufa

Thats about his value i think you are correct. You could get rid of $22,000,000 in a 2 year extension deal. Then sign him the following year after Matthews and Marner finish their ELC to a 5 year deal@ $4,000,000 and its the same money but reduces the cap when we need it most with all of Marner,Matthews and Nylander signed.

Its still $42,000,000 but cap savings in the last 5 years.

I think he would do it.

Last edited:

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
We have two potential Art Ross contenders to pay in the future. We can't afford to spend 6+ on a one dimensional winger. Sorry. Most I pay JVR is 5.5 and most term is 4 years.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
I have to wonder at the term "veteran presence".

Yes, he's played quite a few years in the league, and he's a nice guy...but he doesn't display any of the qualities that one commonly wishes to find when discussing "veteran presence". I would say that every one of our rookies so far has shown just as much or more poise, effort, defensive awareness, leadership, and every other quality associated with "veterans" than JVR has.

If we wish to bring back JVR because he can get us 25-30 goals a year, that's understandable, but if it's an effort to buoy our veteran leadership...he's not that guy.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
He'll go for the money and I don't blame him. However we won't be able to afford him, so we're better off dealing him this year or next.

Unless his demands are similar to a Gardiner/Kadri like contract I don't see how we could feasibly keep him and have cap space for improvements and raises to other players down the road.

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
Seriously? $4.5 is the highest that you would be willing to offer? If he accepted $5.25 x 7 you woul be upset?

I don't see him as being worth that for more then 2 or 3 of those years.. I don't think I'd be upset though. But he'd have us up against the cap when resigning someone like Reilly.

I just see more value and flexibility in flipping him for a top 4rd, or a draft pick. We have forwards in the system we can replace him with now, and we can use him to help upgrade on d.

Reydin

Jun 21, 2008
I don't see him as being worth that for more then 2 or 3 of those years.. I don't think I'd be upset though. But he'd have us up against the cap when resigning someone like Reilly.

I just see more value and flexibility in flipping him for a top 4rd, or a draft pick. We have forwards in the system we can replace him with now, and we can use him to help upgrade on d.

Who are these LWs that we have that can replace his 30 goals and net presence right now?

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
He'll go for the money and I don't blame him. However we won't be able to afford him, so we're better off dealing him this year or next.

Unless his demands are similar to a Gardiner/Kadri like contract I don't see how we could feasibly keep him and have cap space for improvements and raises to other players down the road.

I don't disagree at all and think that ultimately he will either be dealt or walk. Although he is a one dimensional player, I've always been a fan of his. I'm hoping that management can convince him that he'll be part of something special so he would sacrifice some cash to be part of it. Not to say that I would or would fault him for it but if he wasn't willing to then he probably wouldn't be worth keeping regardless.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
He's been underpaid his whole career. "Reasonable" won't enter the negotiations from his end. He'll break the bank with some team. Hopefully it's not us.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Well he's the sign of just how far we've come. We're going to have to cut ties with an actual good player.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
The guy drives me nuts. Great game one day then disappears for 5, yet he'll still pop in 25+ goals. His defensive game is putrid & although big he is very passive. The number of games he disappears for while looking to go to UFA doesn't give me much confidence of what he'll do when he's signed long term.

Trade him to a cup contender for as high picks as we can get & keep building through the youth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad