Jvr $ (underated or overrated)

lindroshomer

Jan 21, 2016
Ontario
I think he's been instrumental on the Marner and Bozak line and further the play and development of Marner. Plays much like an NBA post player in front of the net, slick hands, quick decisions and somewhat of a safety valve when it comes to possession down low. He can sit in front of the next and receive a pass and is good in tight with his hands and also passing back out of the "post" once he gets a pass in front of the next. Would like to see him play with a bit more of a mean streak but it's not necessary in today's NHL. 60 point winger when healthy and works well with Bozak and Marner. I've seen him get pissy when someones gone at Marner so he's not completely without a sack.

I think 5.5-6 million is the going rate for a forward like him for 5-6 years realistically. Leafs should hang onto him and keep the Marner/Bozak/JVR line together JVR and Bozak with career years...Maybe if the Leafs are out of the playoffs next year or can snag a real gem of a D prospect from a team making a big run at next years deadline then trade him...I think the JVR situation can't be looked at in a Vacuum as just him alone, has to be how he plays with his teammates.

Underrated player this season.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Sooooo in saying that, you pay him what? At what point is it crazy to sign him?
And who said we'd trade him for draft picks? A "shiny new toy" could be a good d-man

I would say between 5.5 and 6.5 would be reasonable for him. Term is the issue, if 3-5 years that is workable. Remember he can always be moved later if we find ourselves in a Chicago situation.

As I stated before this is a prime time to get a top 4 D at a discount, we could sign one, get one from Vegas or a team trying to avoid losing one to expansion. Trading JVR is not the only way to do this. We have too many winger prospects, tons of draft picks and Bozak which are all expendable. Our LW is god awful so trading our best (by a huge amount) is not the logical way to solve the problem. Creating one hole to fill another is HF logic maybe for those that are trade happy, but is seldom the plan for a competent GM.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Can teams make trades after the playoffs but before the expansion draft?

If so, I could see the Leafs finding trading partners in Anaheim and Minnesota - both will have a hard time protecting all of their D.

Team can trade now as I understand it but the players could not go on the roster for the playoffs. There is an unwritten rule not to take attention from the playoffs so trades do not usually start until after the cup has been won.

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
My 7th highlight-montage for... James van Riemsdyk (JVR)..., who plays Left-Wing position with the 2016-17 Toronto Maple Leafs...

JVR just had an amazing.., and career-high regular season... and was one of many of this season's Leafs to play all 82 games..

I hope we see this continue into playoffs.. : )

James-van-Riemsdyk.jpg

James Van Riemsdyk
Left Wing -- shoots L
Born May 4 1989 -- Middletown, NJ
27 yrs. ago
Height 6.03 -- Weight 200

DRAFTED: 2007 - round 1 - #2 overall - Philadelphia Flyers

RECENT STATS:
(*Up To April 14th 2017)

2014-15 Toronto Maple Leafs - NHL
82 Games... 27 Goals... 29 Assists... 56 Points... -33
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
2015-16 Toronto Maple Leafs - NHL
40 Games... 14 Goals... 15 Assists... 29 Points... +3
*2016-17 Toronto Maple Leafs - NHL
*82 Games... 29 Goals... 33 Assists.. 62 Points... -2
*2017 NHL PLAYOFFS
1 Game... 0 Goals... 1 Assist.. 1 Point... +1 *PPG :laugh:

Includes: All of JVR's 2016-17 regular season goals with the Toronto Maple Leafs...... and a few other 2016-17 season photos & clips.....

Freebird: *All 29 James van Riemsdyk 2016-17 Reg.-Season Goals - TML (HD)

Pucker77

May 10, 2012
Minnesota
JVR is so inconsistent that it is hard to determine his value in terms of overrated vs underrated. When he plays with an edge and is aggressive he is underrated and one of my favorite players to watch. When he doesnt have that edge he is very overrated and just looks lazy on the ice.

I like JVR but with all the talk of him being a great skater for his size he always seems to be slower than the player he is racing. losing puck races, backcheckers recovering on an odd man rush, etc. I love that he is on the team. but he is one of the most confusing players on the roster.

Beaninfritz

Aug 27, 2009
JVR is so inconsistent that it is hard to determine his value in terms of overrated vs underrated. When he plays with an edge and is aggressive he is underrated and one of my favorite players to watch. When he doesnt have that edge he is very overrated and just looks lazy on the ice.

I like JVR but with all the talk of him being a great skater for his size he always seems to be slower than the player he is racing. losing puck races, backcheckers recovering on an odd man rush, etc. I love that he is on the team. but he is one of the most confusing players on the roster.

Where do you get inconsistent from? He's been one of our top scorers each season (exception being last season when he missed over half of it due to injury) since he came here. He's consistently potted roughly 60 points per 82 games. That's pretty consistent if you ask me. Better than the majority of the old club.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
I'd go with the "keep him through next season's playoffs and let him walk" option. Maximize his value to the team and look to replace him with one of our many up and coming winger prospects.

taurine330

Nov 28, 2015
Stockholm
I'd go with the "keep him through next season's playoffs and let him walk" option. Maximize his value to the team and look to replace him with one of our many up and coming winger prospects.

Not when we could update our D. Our D definitely has some holes that needs to be plugged. We have Marincin playing in playoffs.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
I think you have to look to sign him. At the same time, you need to see what his value is on the open trade market.

If you can get him to sign to a reasonable dollar value and term contract, then do it. You can still trade him later.

If you get a trade offer for him that fills a need for a top D man, you move him to improve the team.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Not when we could update our D. Our D definitely has some holes that needs to be plugged. We have Marincin playing in playoffs.

Because our LW is so much better :shakehead

Here's crazy idea, why not use a position of strength instead like RW's, prospects, picks or just sign someone as a free agent?

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
I'd keep him unless he wants to sign a very expensive contract. He's always been good in the playoffs, and we need players that do well in crunch time.

Monquarter NB

Apr 24, 2013
New Brunswick
Can we please get some love for playoff JVR? It's a brand new player out there and I love it. He's playing like he gives a ****. I've been a big detractor of him for a long time but playoff JVR is a new animal. I hope we keep him.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina

The entire league knows his deal is expiring and that he's going to command $6-7m. Weigh the utility of having JvR for another year with sophomore Nylander, Marner, and Matthews vs the value you're realistically going to get for him and I think letting him walk is a legitimate option.

Beaninfritz

Aug 27, 2009
Can we please get some love for playoff JVR? It's a brand new player out there and I love it. He's playing like he gives a ****. I've been a big detractor of him for a long time but playoff JVR is a new animal. I hope we keep him.

JVR's never been a bad player. That's the thing. People always cry about "muh consistency". He's been very consistent in his tenure with the Leafs. They're just sour that he'll go 3-4 games without a point on occasion (just like over 90% of the rest of the NHL players do).

Anyone that remembers the playoffs against Boston, knows that JVR lead the team in scoring with 7 points in 7 games. Even the old Philly fans know he goes beast mode in the playoffs. He may not be super duper fast like some people want him to be, but he screened Holtby so hard on Rielly's goal it wasn't even funny. JVR does what he does right, and damn well too. I'm hoping they can re-sign him to a Lupul-like contract 5x5.5m, because he's actually worth that contract.

If he wants more, then they'll likely let him walk, or try to make some kind of draft day deal for negotiating rights. Which sucks, because he has been my favourite player for years now, but it's the reality of the situation.

pucci2001

Jun 3, 2012
Cant remember who it was on tsn, i think dreger, speculated that he would be looking high 5's or low 6's.

Basically Lupul's contract? I can't see him taking under 6 especially with him turning it up in these big games. Every top line winger in the league gets a standard 6x6 deal it seems these days.

pucci2001

Jun 3, 2012
JVR's never been a bad player. That's the thing. People always cry about "muh consistency". He's been very consistent in his tenure with the Leafs. They're just sour that he'll go 3-4 games without a point on occasion (just like over 90% of the rest of the NHL players do).

Anyone that remembers the playoffs against Boston, knows that JVR lead the team in scoring with 7 points in 7 games. Even the old Philly fans know he goes beast mode in the playoffs. He may not be super duper fast like some people want him to be, but he screened Holtby so hard on Rielly's goal it wasn't even funny. JVR does what he does right, and damn well too. I'm hoping they can re-sign him to a Lupul-like contract 5x5.5m, because he's actually worth that contract.

If he wants more, then they'll likely let him walk, or try to make some kind of draft day deal for negotiating rights. Which sucks, because he has been my favourite player for years now, but it's the reality of the situation.

He went quiet for a month before turning it back on. He needs to work hard more often. Nobody doubts his skill, just his will. He turns it on when it counts and during the season he just seems to fade away. There are several games this season where I don't even think the casters say his name once.

Beaninfritz

Aug 27, 2009
He went quiet for a month before turning it back on. He needs to work hard more often. Nobody doubts his skill, just his will. He turns it on when it counts and during the season he just seems to fade away. There are several games this season where I don't even think the casters say his name once.

Are you referring to the month after the all-star break? If so, well, the rest of the team was pure crap there too. Going 0.5/PPG during February was definitely below par for him. But assuming he just "took the month off" is a stretch and a half. Should we write off Andersen because of his play in October?

The team lost 10 out of 14 games that month (counting OT losses as regular losses, since there's no such thing as points in the playoffs). They played a lot of cup contending teams that month. Columbus, the Rangers, San Jose, St. Louis x2, it was a pretty tough month. They even had to deal with fringe teams like the Islanders.

If you want to question JVR's work ethic or will, feel free to lace up the skates and prove that you're better. If not, you have no right to judge.

Last edited:

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
I'm hoping they can re-sign him to a Lupul-like contract 5x5.5m, because he's actually worth that contract.

He's always been worth more than that contract, in today's NHL. The guy has pretty consistently been a 25 goal/55-60 point a season forward. Lupul has never consistently been that.

JVR will demand and get 6.5+ million a season for many seasons. As for whether or not that contract comes from the Leafs, is another question. I hope not. I like JVR a lot, but tying up that much money in a forward when Matthews/Marner and Nylander are coming up and needing second and third contracts soon, is crazy.

I say we trade him for whatever good D help we can get, and replace him full time with Kapanen.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

moron nonis is that you?????

take your "own rental" out the back door where we booted you.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
My apologies, with the question mark it seemed like sarcasm and i guess i was a little tired posting at 4am. I stopped posting a cpl years back because of all the kids on here or posters that acted like little kids and recently decided to give it another try and thats what i ran into after 2 days and thought to myself nothing changes but yes i read that wrong and i am sorry for going on a rant towards you. My gift to make it up to you is a Leafs win tonight (fingers crossed), ok how about a virtual handshake if that does not work out? Lol... GO LEAFS GO!

i have seen folks here with thousands of posts and i still have yet to give them a "gem" rating

hence the "it only took you 9 posts"

all good

GO LEAFS GO

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I'd keep him unless he wants to sign a very expensive contract. He's always been good in the playoffs, and we need players that do well in crunch time.

i'm thinking he will shoot for bobby ryan type money

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
The entire league knows his deal is expiring and that he's going to command $6-7m. Weigh the utility of having JvR for another year with sophomore Nylander, Marner, and Matthews vs the value you're realistically going to get for him and I think letting him walk is a legitimate option.

your going to let the asset value of a 7 million dollar player walk for no returns?

lunacy, dave nonis level "own rental" lunacy

it's that kind of futures asset bleed that killed this organisation.

LeafsFan89

Jan 2, 2011
I have not read the full thread, so my apologies if this has been mentioned earlier, but there is a nuance that has not been identified. I think when fans say that JVR is inconsistent, it is not that his season point totals are inconsistent because as many posters pointed out he has been a consistent 60 point scorer, but rather his intensity of play is inconsistent.

I argue that his skill-set outweighs his "floating" because he has certain skills such as an in front net presence on the power-play, his skills in tight, ability to play with different players, his consistent point scoring, and his playoff performances that will be difficult to replace. I hope we resign him at a reasonable cost.

In trading JVR, as a poster astutely pointed out, you must weigh the value of what we could realistically receive for JVR in his contract year, against what he would provide to our second year and potentially first year NHLers next year. He will rightfully receive a large salary after his current contract expires. There is no shame in letting an asset outlive its usefulness, if it will cost us more to retain this asset at the expense of other assets that when combined, would have a higher value.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad