JVR discussion thread - Stay - Go - Play ?

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Seemed to work well for Chicago and Pittsburgh and there's 5 of the last 8 cups.

Cap circumvention deals also worked well for Chicago and Pittsburgh, allowing them to fit all of their high end talent under the cap

In today's world, if you pay your stars you need to squeeze the middle. This lends itself to youth over vets.

Nooodles

May 7, 2010
Geszteréd
I really, really hope this was his last game as a Leaf. I like him as a person, but its time to trade him. Pathetic effort in the playoffs from a talented player like him.
Kapanen can replace him easily in the future.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
ya he turned it on down the stretch and I was happy to eat crow on this guy but he vanished when we needed him most.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Yeah, he can go. He was carried by a rookie all season and went AWOL when the team needed him. He's done his part over the years, but he can go at any time.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
Trade him for D help, it's so clear our D was our biggest flaw this series, we lost polak and had to replace him with a borderline NHL d-man in Marincin.

we dont need 10 guys scoring 50 points to win the cup, but we definitely need a better defense

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Trade him for D help, it's so clear our D was our biggest flaw this series, we lost polak and had to replace him with a borderline NHL d-man in Marincin.

we dont need 10 guys scoring 50 points to win the cup, but we definitely need a better defense

I was a little disappointed with JVR in this series.
Everyone says trade him for a top 4 D but if I could get a Tkachuk/Jenner like player for him, I would.
A better compliment for Marner. Someone who can play that heavy style.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
I'm more than okay with moving JVR. In fact I encourage it. He was a non-factor in these playoffs, somewhere he supposedly was money.

Losing his offense would suck, but Matthews, Marner, and Nylander are still growing, and Kapanen will be on the team full time next year. Plus, Leafs should improve their defence and so our GA should drop, meaning less need for his offense.

Hopefully JVR can be used as an asset towards fixing our defence.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
I really believed he would come up big for us come playoff time. Unless he was playing injured there's no excuse for his performance. He was just bad. Looked like he didn't realize the playoffs had even started.

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
See ya. Guy was a joke. Soft and lazy and produced zero offence

No need for losers on this team

possesthepuck

Nov 23, 2013
Kenora Ontario
Yup, 3 or 4 years ago I thought he was great for you guys. I mean he played gritty, was never afraid of getting in front of the net. He really looked lifeless and careless through the series. You can't have a guy with his talent being outplayed by every rookie on this team. Hope calls are being made.

mohare

Dec 13, 2010
Last night I kept thinking that Leivo would have been better out there than JVR. It hurt to watch Bozak out there trying and JVR out there doing whatever it was he was doing.

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009
I know JvR has put the puck in the net a few times and good on him for doing so

but does it seem to anyone that he's not very engaged...I think he's taking too many low percentage shots when a better passing option is available

and his board play in his own end is atrocious, some by poor decisions and some because of a lack of will to engage and win battles

I know he's not necessarily that kind of player but this is the playoffs and he's gotta get on his horse

I would not be opposed to replacing him with a player who is not a 25-30 scorer but with someone who gave the team more of a two way game and consistent effort. We have both Kapanen and Soshnikov who are both ready, IMO, for a bigger role on the team next year.

I would be very surprised if trading JVR gets us the defenceman we crave, but I wouldn't be opposed to moving him for a young Dman prospect who our scouting staff feels could one day develop into a top 4 defender.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Time to move on. Need more effort to match that skillset. Hyman needs more skill to match his effort. Can we combine the two?

member 262271

I too think it's time to move on and get some value back for James while we can. Nothing more frustrating than a should be power forward that is soft as hell and shies away from big games. Could be I'm being too hard on him, but I don't see his lack of effort going unnoticed by Lou and Shanny either.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Leafs shouldnt re-sign him to the 6-7 year deal he would command so you either trade him or keep him and let him walk.

Good teams like Anaheim trade guys for assets before it is too late. Andersen, Pirri, McGinn, and Palmieri all went for picks in the last 2 years even when they were contending.

Out of the 22 guys that have played in the playoffs for them 13 have been drafted by the Ducks. The best players on the Leafs were drafted players as well - we should continue the trend.

Too early to judge the 2016 and 2015 drafts but since Burke left Anaheim has produced at least 2 regulars per draft;

2014: Ritchie, Montour and Kase
2013: Theodore and Sorensen (Sorensen only now getting to the NHL)
2012: Lindholm and Andersen
2011: Rakell, Gibson, Carlsson and Manson
2010: Fowler, Etem, Smith-Pelley
2009: Holland, Palmieri and Vatanen (Holland was traded to us a 2nd)

Murray has done a great job at re-stocking the team and moving guys out before they are priced out. And he is going to do that again this offseason when he trades a defensemen or 2.

Best thing to do is turn JVR into a defensmen or into picks to potentially use for picks an defensmen later on. I would be inclined to gauge the market too on Bozak and Leo. Though i know Babs loves his centremen Bozak and absolutely loves Leo - likely to be re-signed.

Last edited:

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
If he can get you a good D or something I would move on. From him and Bozak actually.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I'd be very surprised to see him on the Team going forward.
IMO, he's moved over the summer, worse case he's gone by Christmas.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
I don't know if he brings back a top-4 dman. He would have last year but it'll be tough this year considering his contract term being low.

I'd move him regardless though even if it's just for futures, his offense comes at a cost of poor defense and it's replaceable, need to start moving assets towards dmen.

Myopic

Feb 26, 2017
I'd be very surprised to see him on the Team going forward.
IMO, he's moved over the summer, worse case he's gone by Christmas.

He has 1 year left? if that's the case he's the perfect guy to package for a top 4 d-man. Throw in the first rounder if needed.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $935.00