JVR discussion thread - Stay - Go - Play ?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Losing his offense would hurt Abby, but Kapanen is looking like he'll be able to put up points in the NHL level. Flip JVR ether directly in a package for a D man or for futures to then be spent on getting a D man.

When the Leafs move out him and Bozak the team's two way play will automatically improve

Myopic

Feb 26, 2017
Many people (including me) thought he'd be a beats in the playoffs. Far from it.
That's not a guy you sign long-term

I agree...I was always a pro JVR guy and didn't think it would be wise to get rid of a 30 goal scorer. I've changed my tune after these playoffs. You need to be more than a one dimensional player to be a piece on a cup winning team. Some would point to Kessel on Pitt but he's an exceptional offensive talent,especially on the PP. JVR is not at that level. He's mainly a SKILLED garbage collector a foot in front of the net.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Think LeBrun mentioned on the radio this morning that Anaheim might lean towards dealing Fowler if he doesnt sign an extension.

1 year of Fowler for 1 year of JVR plus something else?

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
He had 12 missed shots in the playoffs. 8.7% shooting percentage.

He scores when he goes to the net. Against Washington, he couldn't. Because he's too slow. The days of Tim Kerr are over. Think he's smart enough, just doesn't have the wheels to play effective two-way hockey.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Many people (including me) thought he'd be a beast in the playoffs. Far from it.
That's not a guy you sign long-term

He wasn't good but playing all your cards based on how a best-of-7 went is what leads you to signing David Clarkson. The playoffs are like another 25% of a regular season. You're gonna have guys get hot and cold through series. Maybe he would've come alive in the 2nd round, who knows.

If we could parlay him and some youth for a pair of top 4 D I think this team looks much more polished next year. I don't think we really need a #1 guy, just upgrades on every pair.

Sharabhi

Jan 10, 2008
What does JVR get at free agency vs Oshie?

Get whatever we can for JVR (ideally a D man) and try to lockup Oshie imo. Oshie will help our shootout and def bring more come playofff time.

disgruntleddave

Aug 31, 2009
Canada
We desperately need someone big for us on the D line.
I'd move JVR before Bozak even just to retain the C depth. JVR's value is pretty solid, we need to consider our moves and upgrade where it;s really needed on D.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
He had 12 missed shots in the playoffs. 8.7% shooting percentage.

He scores when he goes to the net. Against Washington, he couldn't. Because he's too slow. The days of Tim Kerr are over. Think he's smart enough, just doesn't have the wheels to play effective two-way hockey.

This is JVR in an nutshell.

He's got the hands, but for the amount of minutes he plays he just doesn't have that drive/compete level.

When push came to shove, he did not show well enough to justify his place in the team.

See you later JV, thank you for the memories.

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
the only problem with moving JVR right now is we have a lack of proven-player depth with higher expectations next year as a team, to get rid of JVR who will probably put up at least 50 points and 25 goals, we will need someone to step up

i'm talking on the wing depth we don't actually have much on his side that is already proven in the NHL

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
He was actually pretty key for us helping us get to the playoffs. Had a huge goal against Pittsburgh.

I don't know, it depends how much and how long -- and it also depends on how good the market will be for him. It would be sweet if he signed a sweetheart deal with us, our LW is weak... but it's probably unlikely. So if we can trade him for a young(ish) top 4 D I say do it.

Leaf handler

Mar 12, 2016
I really like JVR so this hurts me to say but I think he was one of (if not the worst) least impactful players throughout the series. Maybe it's because our power play wasn't clicking so we didn't get to see the net front guy we have come to know. But holy hell it looked like he hadn't sharpened his skates once all series

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
Jvr is a finesse player which our team have an abundance of. If JvR would play more to his capabilities, he'd be a top 5 winger in this league but he doesn't. Can we upgrade him internally, possibly, not so much offensively but definitely defensively. I would look at moving JvR+ for a upgrade in our top 4.

horner

May 22, 2007
the only problem with moving JVR right now is we have a lack of proven-player depth with higher expectations next year as a team, to get rid of JVR who will probably put up at least 50 points and 25 goals, we will need someone to step up

i'm talking on the wing depth we don't actually have much on his side that is already proven in the NHL

Kapanen with Bozak and marner

25'goals and 50 pts
100% better Defensively
Speed
Initiates contact ( never saw that coming from him )
A better shot from any where.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad