JVR discussion thread - Stay - Go - Play ?

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
JVR has really stepped up his game play/intensity and has moved me from a 'trade him we won't want to pay him when our Rookies need paydays' to a 'I wonder what deal would make sense for us to keep him'

From threads on main board I've seen as low as a team friendly 5.5 mil - to as much as 7.5.

Personally at 6 mil per year Id say keep him but wondering what the consensus is. Also do we think he'd take that?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I'd see if he'd be interested in being part of something special and give him something around Kadri's salary which is what he makes now. Bump it up to $5 million.

LeafsNation149

Feb 4, 2013
Anything under 6x6 is amazing. You sign him for that.

Leafs LW looks soo bad. Take out JVR and Hyman is our best LW, sign him under 6M no matter what.

Audi*

Nov 22, 2009
not worth the headache imo. just trade him for market value, not every trade has to be for a defence man you know.

logical answer would be to sign him so that he's underpaid... but not my vote

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

We're going to have ~40 million locked up in Nylander(~6.5), Marner(~7), Matthews(~8), Rielly(5), Kadri(4.5), Zaitsev(~4.5), Andersen(5), and that's a group that needs another 2 top 4 defencemen as what do you do with Gardiner in a couple years? I'd rather keep Gardiner than JVR. Then you have to fill in around those guys with 5 top 9 wingers, Brown, Kap and others apart of that group will be at least 3, and then a 4th line(when everyone wants to sign Boyle for 2.5, already Martin for 2.5), and a bottom pair and backup goalie.

I love playoff JVR, I love regular JVR, but you can't afford to pay him market value and fill in other area with players other than off the scrap heap. If the choise is JVR and scrounge though ELC's and waivers or be able to pay some of your guys coming off ELC's 2-3 million every once in a while to keep them, I'll fill my group in with those guys instead of JVR and scraps.

If we're going to have another expensive winger besides for Marner I hope it's Kapanen after he breaks out.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
5M. He's worth more, but we can't really afford more. Maybe 5.5

He'll be traded in the summer though.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
I don't really see how we can keep him longer term at anything realistic. Sure, he's probably worth having at $6 mil per year, but I don't know if we'll be able to afford that after the big 3 are done with their ELC.

If we're throwing $6 million at JVR, $2.5 on Martin... maybe spending more on Boyle, etc. We wont have money for a big name defender.

So even though I like JVR, Bozak, and Komorov... I don't see how we can afford to keep them longer term. We might be able to keep one on a reasonable contract, but JVR's will of course be the most expensive of the 3 (unless something changes between now and then).

For the 18-19 season, I would go with Matthews, Nylander, Kadri, GOAT down the middle. For wingers, we'll have Marner, Kap, Brown, Hyman, Martin. So we only need 3 more wingers... we'll be able to make due without JVR. Leivo and Sosh still look very promising and we've got quite a few other prospects who will be ready by then.

We gotta save money where we can... and I think using someone like Leivo instead of JVR could save us a lot of money and even potentially work out better.

And I like JVR, but I'm sure not too many of us would be totally surprised to see him start sucking in a few years. He's got the good hands no doubt... but if he slows down and the game gets younger and faster, he might be in trouble longer term.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Depends on term.

We can afford to pay him anything for the next 2 years, 7 mil plus (not that I am suggesting that). Year three though that is probably not doable. If we want him for say 5 years 6 is the max we can probably swing and even then I think something closer to 5.5 would be more ideal with a LNTC or something.

It really boils down to does JVR like here enough to sign for a deal that won't cripple us or does he want to cash in? If he is all about money (which we have no reason to believe he is) he may want 7 mil knowing full well Vegas might give him more.

Few of our fans have been more outspoken about keeping JVR than me but I am not prepared to cripple us going forward to keep him. Lou is no fool and you can bet July 1 or shortly there after JVR's agent will get a call and we will explore talks with him, if he plays ball an extension will get sorted out, if not we'll explore moving him. We may even keep him for one more playoff run depending on how the team is looking next year and then let him walk.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
I'd say six but can you pay six to your fifth best forward? I think JVR is a guy that's going to be a casualty, I mean he's bringing it now which is great after seeing this guy play so soft and disinterested at times if he's going to play like this in key games he might be worth it, but its the difference between Chicago and LA in terms of cap management, and if the Leafs want to be a long term contender he's a guy whose probably out of here.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Term is more important than price IMHO, these six year deals always turn out to be killers for guys his age....4 years at 5 per, we simply don't have the cash to pay all the stud kids and the JVR's, doesn't work that way.

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
If his market is 6+ and he wants to stay (exciting team now/no need to move lol) 5 million home team discount doesn't really seem that crazy.....add in NMC. Im not sure we can afford not to keep a proven winger at that price

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
JVR will be tricky, bc he will get more than 6 as a UFA, but teams that could offer that won't be any good.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I agree about term being more of a potential point of interest in negotiations than salary. Could get 6-7 years if he hits the market, or even to get him to skip UFA. He may settle for less though if he likes our situation. Beyond that, he could be a good trade chip to improve the D, though obviously his production would be missed and not easily/immediately replaced. We'll see what the offseason (and beyond) brings, on a few fronts.

Last edited:

Tonka

OFFSIDE
Apr 8, 2007
I don't really know what you would trade him for tbh, he's a top 6 forward. He is one-dimensional but he scores 30 goals a season and good at redirects. The only thing you can trade for is a prospect but right now Leafs are slowly going towards contention.

He's a difficult case for sure.

Our core in 2-3 years is:

XXXX-Matthews-Marner
XXXX-Nylander-Kapanen
Hyman-Kadri-Brown
XXXX-XXXX-Martin

Their are two winger slots open, we need someone to fill those spots in the top 6.

The max I'd sign him for is 6 mil / 4 years. Anything beyond 4 years is a risk, because a) one dimensional b) he will move away from his peak soon.

Right now we definitely do need him unless we find a replacement. *cough*Tavares*cough*, Nylander shifts back to wing tho.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I don't really know what you would trade him for tbh, he's a top 6 forward. He is one-dimensional but he scores 30 goals a season and good at redirects. The only thing you can trade for is a prospect but right now Leafs are slowly going towards contention.

He's a difficult case for sure.

Our core in 2-3 years is:

XXXX-Matthews-Marner
XXXX-Nylander-Kapanen
Hyman-Kadri-Brown
XXXX-XXXX-Martin

Their are two winger slots open, we need someone to fill those spots in the top 6.

The max I'd sign him for is 6 mil / 4 years. Anything beyond 4 years is a risk, because a) one dimensional b) he will move away from his peak soon.

Right now we definitely do need him unless we find a replacement. *cough*Tavares*cough*, Nylander shifts back to wing tho.

Like you said, who can we trade him for? Ideally, it is a Dmen who is entering his prime, around 25, or at the very least same age with JVR. Unless some teams are going to completely rebuild, I really don't see anyone that fits beside Chris Tanev. Yet, I fail to see why Canucks would want JVR unless they think they can juice up JVR stats before TDL and trade him for a great package, but the risk is injury or JVR doing so well that Canucks are fighting a playoff spot.

KessMeRandy

Nov 25, 2013

We're going to have ~40 million locked up in Nylander(~6.5), Marner(~7), Matthews(~8), Rielly(5), Kadri(4.5), Zaitsev(~4.5), Andersen(5), and that's a group that needs another 2 top 4 defencemen as what do you do with Gardiner in a couple years? I'd rather keep Gardiner than JVR. Then you have to fill in around those guys with 5 top 9 wingers, Brown, Kap and others apart of that group will be at least 3, and then a 4th line(when everyone wants to sign Boyle for 2.5, already Martin for 2.5), and a bottom pair and backup goalie.

I love playoff JVR, I love regular JVR, but you can't afford to pay him market value and fill in other area with players other than off the scrap heap. If the choise is JVR and scrounge though ELC's and waivers or be able to pay some of your guys coming off ELC's 2-3 million every once in a while to keep them, I'll fill my group in with those guys instead of JVR and scraps.

If we're going to have another expensive winger besides for Marner I hope it's Kapanen after he breaks out.

Matthews is getting more than 8 million, and Nylander is getting more than 6.5, lol.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Good offensive player with great hands and some intensity issues. It would be great to retain him at a bargain rate but that's doubtful. More likely that the cap space needed to keep him longer term will be needed later to pay the 3 super rookies and others. Paying and retaining all 3 of Matthews, Nylander and Marner will require sacrifices like having to allow JVR to walk to free agency.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
JVR, take your pick:

6.5 million x 4
5.5 million x 5
5.0 million x 6

Limited NTC, 10 teams that you can refuse to go too.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $325.00