Player Discussion Justin Brazeau

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I have never thought of Brazeau as being noticeably out of shape. With Ritchie it stood out every shift

Not a perfect comparison. Brazeau is taller, too. I just meant a big, slower moving guy who is good in front of the net with deceptively soft hands. Braz has worked harder in the few games he's been up than Ritchie did in his whole career.

aguineapig72

Jun 28, 2023
While I find the overreaction comparables ludicrous, I've been a big fan of what I've seen from Brazeau. And I mean in every single game so far. He keeps it simple and plays to his strengths while recognizing his limitations.
Never said Brazeau was going to score 50 like Kerr, just as undrafted he's taken a hard road to get here and has earned what he has. I'm glad my comparable has humored you. I try to make other people laugh it's better than bring a sarcastic doosh.

Reactions: Number8

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
I get that he's slow, no doubt, but one thing I'm noticing is his on ice awareness and how to take good angles to pucks. He's not going to win a foot race, but he seems to have good IQ on how to get to pucks in certain areas rather quickly. He anticipates the play well.
Good post, I was concerned about his foot speed and a big body that was not going to be used and we all know how that would go over in this town. We all know how slow he is but like you point out he awareness out on the ice is a real plus for him, but one other point I would like to make, we have had some speedsters out there but did not get the job be because they were hesitant when making a play where as Braz is making plays without hesitation and making up for his lack of foot speed,, speed guys hesitate and it negates their strong suit. I was not sure about Braz but I am happy for him and hope he continues, he is adding something this team needs.

Reactions: BMC and KWbruin

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Not a perfect comparison. Brazeau is taller, too. I just meant a big, slower moving guy who is good in front of the net with deceptively soft hands. Braz has worked harder in the few games he's been up than Ritchie did in his whole career.

Yup fair enough, the big difference between the 2 is Brazeau seems to want it, Ritchie never did

Reactions: MillerTime29Bombs

World of Wardlow

Unscripted Violence
Jul 13, 2006
Montreal
Brazeau has completely surprised me. I thought he'd come in, have a couple of good games and that's it, but he's looked very good and comfortable out there.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Body wise, he reminds me of John Leclair with those wide, thick, powerful shoulders.

I hope he keeps things simple: go hard to the net, hard on the forecheck. I don't expect a complete skills package from him, just go out there and use his size and power to get the puck and his soft hands to put them in. Crazy to think he should actually have 6 goals in 15 instead of 5.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
I wouldn't go that far. If you put this guy against top competition, he'll be completely exposed. He's the perfect 4th liner.
I get what you are saying , but I would take a look at some minutes playing up. I do not think pasta and Zacha would be the right move, Marchand, Coyle might be a fit , Geekie and Freddy are blending he could benefit from those two..........hey there is only way too fine out, and no better time than now.

SpezzaNoLookDropPass

May 25, 2016
I still don't understand how he was undrafted. I mean it can only be his foot speed, but the kid went from 6 goals in his first year in the OHL to 22 in his 2nd, then to 39 and finally to 61 goals and 113 points in 68 games in his final year. He's also 6' 13". How does he go undrafted? Even if it's his foot speed why wouldn't someone pick him in a late round on a flyer? Or have I missed something? (Actually I guess he was overager in the OHL. But still.)
Skating. It's been considered that massive of a flaw. He was Bambi on ice his rookie season in the OHL. It was such a massive knock nobody thought his production could carry on to the next level. The guys found success at every single level. Its honestly impressive

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
Lack of speed with great hands is why he is the perfect powerplay net front presence. He could score 20+/year just doing this. His agility in confined spaces is what's impressed me. Nor does he panic with the puck on his stick surrounded by defensemen. Perfect 4th or 3rd liner. Get him a power skating coach for the off-season to maximize his skating. He'll be cheap for a few more years even if he progresses beyond expectations.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
Lack of speed with great hands is why he is the perfect powerplay net front presence. He could score 20+/year just doing this. His agility in confined spaces is what's impressed me. Nor does he panic with the puck on his stick surrounded by defensemen. Perfect 4th or 3rd liner. Get him a power skating coach for the off-season to maximize his skating. He'll be cheap for a few more years even if he progresses beyond expectations.
One would hope he has been working on his skating in the off season. Im rooting real hard for this kid, great story.

Reactions: BTO and BMC

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Never said Brazeau was going to score 50 like Kerr, just as undrafted he's taken a hard road to get here and has earned what he has. I'm glad my comparable has humored you. I try to make other people laugh it's better than bring a sarcastic doosh.
Tim Kerr was in the NHL straight out of juniors at 20 years old. And became a perrennial 50 goal scorer.

Brazeau was still in juniors at 20 and wouldn't sniff a fourth line role in the NHL until he signed his first contract at 26.

You don't like my sarcasm? I don't like your wild BS comparison. If I decided to hurl a stupid insult at you right now, we'd be even.

I have a ton of respect for what Brazeau has done. And I love what I've seen from him in Boston. I hope he can continue his success and with his track record I think it's not only possible... But perhaps likely that he does so.

Can we appreciate that without the Tim Kerr/Dave Andreychuk nonsense? Or at least without getting huffy when someone disagrees with the absurdity of it?

SpezzaNoLookDropPass

May 25, 2016
Tim Kerr was in the NHL straight out of juniors at 20 years old. And became a perrennial 50 goal scorer.

Brazeau was still in juniors at 20 and wouldn't sniff a fourth line role in the NHL until he signed his first contract at 26.

You don't like my sarcasm? I don't like your wild BS comparison. If I decided to hurl a stupid insult at you right now, we'd be even.

I have a ton of respect for what Brazeau has done. And I love what I've seen from him in Boston. I hope he can continue his success and with his track record I think it's not only possible... But perhaps likely that he does so.

Can we appreciate that without the Tim Kerr/Dave Andreychuk nonsense? Or at least without getting huffy when someone disagrees with the absurdity of it?
You can still compare styles of play without expecting the production to match. Just because so and so game reminds you of someone doesn't mean stats are supposed to match. Its not that deep

False Start

May 8, 2018

The second I read on here: Dave Andreychuk I had to stop and laugh.

Seriously? a guy in the hall of fame?

I can think of plenty of guys who made a living with hand eye and net front presence. Tomas Holmstrom comes to mind.

Reactions: Mr. Make-Believe

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
IMO you are not wrong at all. I said in GDT the other night that he reminds me of Kerr very much. Like you, not saying he is Kerr. Just that anyone who says he doesn’t play the game like Kerr just never saw Tim Kerr and is just looking at stats.

Reactions: Raleighfern

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad