Player Discussion Justin Brazeau

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
A big man that seems to know how to use his size to his advantage, nice hands and moves well for his stature

Sort of wonder how many times in his journey he’s been implored to be a bit nastier but that energy lives nowhere inside him, and that’s okay even if a little disappointing

Other big man comparables on that level anyone? How about Tim Kerr (not necessarily comparables with respect to output at this point)

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
A big man that seems to know how to use his size to his advantage, nice hands and moves well for his stature

Sort of wonder how many times in his journey he’s been implored to be a bit nastier but that energy lives nowhere inside him, and that’s okay even if a little disappointing

Other big man comparables on that level anyone? How about Tim Kerr (not necessarily comparables with respect to output at this point)

I will say that I’m happy to see that he’s thrown a few pretty good hits when they were available.

I mean, he’s not prioritizing hitting, but he’s doing it when the opportunity presents itself.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
One thing I noticed opposing players seemed to not want to engage him after whistles

Not saying he's tough by any means but its like no-one want to be the first to see if he can handle himself in the rough stuff

I noticed that too. He hit Reaves a couple of times without a response back and he got Xhekaj pretty good the other night. I think sooner or later, he'll be tested.

When JVR leaves in the off season, I'd like to see Brazeau get a spot on one of the PP units as the net front presence.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
I will say that I’m happy to see that he’s thrown a few pretty good hits when they were available.

I mean, he’s not prioritizing hitting, but he’s doing it when the opportunity presents itself.
That's a good point, he is throwing the body enough that the opponent is giving him enough room to make plays , and his hands being one of his strongest assets gives him the ability to make plays. He has used the body to get positioning and I was questioning if he throws some hits and , I think he has and done it at the right time and is being effective. I am not expecting him to be a brawler , but he keeps the opponent honest when uses his big body effectively. The great Johnny Bucyk was a master at using his body for positioning and throwing that big check when needed. Now before someone calls me out , I am not saying he is or ever will be Bucyk.....

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
I noticed that too. He hit Reaves a couple of times without a response back and he got Xhekaj pretty good the other night. I think sooner or later, he'll be tested.

When JVR leaves in the off season, I'd like to see Brazeau get a spot on one of the PP units as the net front presence.
definitely a JVR replacement. also...i don't think he's ever been in a fight, but could be wrong about that.

the hit he had on matheson the other night was a beauty. just a massive human being and matheson is a strong guy for his size.
he's like one of those no body fat workout machines.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
He needs to stay. Quietly amassing several heavy hits per game. Puck protection. Passing vision.

Lauko-Beecher-Brazeau.

One thing I noticed opposing players seemed to not want to engage him after whistles

Not saying he's tough by any means but its like no-one wants to be the first to see if he can handle himself in the rough stuff

He weighs as much as Maroon but peak age and strength. Even a face wash would leave a bruise.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
He needs to stay. Quietly amassing several heavy hits per game. Puck protection. Passing vision.

Lauko-Beecher-Brazeau.

He weighs as much as Maroon but peak age and strength. Even a face wash would leave a bruise.

Yeah, that's what I'd like to see happen next year as well, with Bo coming off the bench as the new Heinen, the swiss army knife they plug into roles when needed.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I kept hearing about his skating being an issue but so far, seems like he reads/anticipates the play well enough that he rarely has been in a situation where a foot race takes place, don`t see a ton of in game situations where his lack of burst has hurt him.

Love his board work, uses the big frame well to protect the puck. Been a long time this team has had a player like him, good to see

dugg133

Jan 11, 2023
I kept hearing about his skating being an issue but so far, seems like he reads/anticipates the play well enough that he rarely has been in a situation where a foot race takes place, don`t see a ton of in game situations where his lack of burst has hurt him.

Love his board work, uses the big frame well to protect the puck. Been a long time this team has had a player like him, good to see
I think when we get stuck in the dzone with him on the ice that's when his skating tend to stick out (in a bad way), but he's definitely not getting limited by it in the ozone.

Reactions: wintersej

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
He's definitely a keeper with some untapped potential. He can skate for a big man, has some hands and protects the puck very well. I'd have him grind and stand around the net His reach, with his hands could be great to overpress their D and bang in rebounds. He has some tools and most importantly, size, which you can't teach.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Certainly fits the role- if he can maintain and show it's not just adrenaline then he's a keeper and Maroon can watch.

What happened in Providence with this guy? Seemed like an afterthought

goldnblack

Jun 24, 2020
He's definitely a keeper with some untapped potential. He can skate for a big man, has some hands and protects the puck very well. I'd have him grind and stand around the net His reach, with his hands could be great to overpress their D and bang in rebounds. He has some tools and most importantly, size, which you can't teach.

The amount of guys who immediately said "JAG" is kind of wild.

I think he's got a TON of potential. Its interesting when you look at guys who broke out late in Boston's system. It's definitely something they're good at.

Reactions: BMC

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
That's a good point, he is throwing the body enough that the opponent is giving him enough room to make plays , and his hands being one of his strongest assets gives him the ability to make plays. He has used the body to get positioning and I was questioning if he throws some hits and , I think he has and done it at the right time and is being effective. I am not expecting him to be a brawler , but he keeps the opponent honest when uses his big body effectively. The great Johnny Bucyk was a master at using his body for positioning and throwing that big check when needed. Now before someone calls me out , I am not saying he is or ever will be Bucyk.....

I like it. And I like Peeke. It's early, I know. Then, if all goes well, Maroon.

The Bruins are a deeper, bigger, and already a bit more physical.

Good stuff.

I'm definitely on the Brazeau train. I like it when a late bloomer gets his chance and runs with it. He's big, strong and has good hands & hockey instincts. Loved that hit on Matheson the other night. His teammates should follow his example in that department.

With the additions of Brazeau, Peeke, and Maroon, they just might.

Funny how that works.

Reactions: BMC

Thirty Seven

Jan 23, 2017
He's not the fastest but seems to know where to be and gets into position. Uses his size well and definitely part of what makes that 4th line as good as they are now.

Reactions: Ladyfan

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
The amount of guys who immediately said "JAG" is kind of wild.

I think he's got a TON of potential. Its interesting when you look at guys who broke out late in Boston's system. It's definitely something they're good at.

It's not that wild. Brazeau was undrafted, and Toronto had a decent look but wound up letting him go. So clearly lots of knowledgeable folks were unconvinced along the way. But the Bruins took a punt and it seems to be paying off. Like everyone else here, I like what I'm seeing. But it's still an uphill battle for a guy like Brazeau who lacks foot speed and has only middling hands to make it stick at this level.

What he needs to be is smart. If you look at a big guy like Nick Ritchie, who actually did have natural talent to the point of being a first round selection, he failed in the NHL because, to be blunt, he was too dumb. Brazeau though seems to have some savvy about him and a decent hockey IQ. If he keeps reading the game well, making smart plays and getting in good areas, he'll give himself every chance to cement his spot. I hope he does - the Bruins could definitely use a guy of his size and skill set. But there's a ways to go yet on that road. In the short-term he'll probably have to fight off Maroon for a spot. All he can do is keep making his case.

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
If he keeps it up (along with the other guys) then Maroon can watch from the press box, maybe he can even be a guess commentator with his good buddy Jack.

I thought he'd be a feel good story that'd get an nhl goal, play a half dozen games, and then be an afterthought, but he's been a great addition.

I feel like even though his lack of foot speed is apparent, guys like Lauko/Boqvist/Beecher all make up for it by being fleet-footed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad