Player Discussion Justin Brazeau

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I get that he's slow, no doubt, but one thing I'm noticing is his on ice awareness and how to take good angles to pucks. He's not going to win a foot race, but he seems to have good IQ on how to get to pucks in certain areas rather quickly. He anticipates the play well.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
His play along the boards stands out to me as well.

He never seems to be behind the play. Which is strange because he appears to be pretty slow. I guess his foot speed was what kept him from being drafted because he put up good enough numbers in his draft year to be selected.

Looks like he lost 25 lbs. maybe he was even slower before. He looks huge out there. Defenders seem to bounce off him when he is playing along the boards.
The he's slower worries need to be put to rest, he is no slower than Geekie, Freddy , Coyle and he looks like the roadrunner compared to JVR

bruins4thecup65

Jun 27, 2011
Is this kid really 245 lbs? Looks like he's still "officially" listed at 220 but every article I find about him now is saying 245. If so, maybe he NEEDS to lose weight to get faster?
[/QUOTEreminds me of Jason Allison a good thing but lose 1okg and throw on some jet speed skates

Reactions: BMC

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
The Big Smoke (unfortunately)
It's not that wild. Brazeau was undrafted, and Toronto had a decent look but wound up letting him go. So clearly lots of knowledgeable folks were unconvinced along the way. But the Bruins took a punt and it seems to be paying off. Like everyone else here, I like what I'm seeing. But it's still an uphill battle for a guy like Brazeau who lacks foot speed and has only middling hands to make it stick at this level.

What he needs to be is smart. If you look at a big guy like Nick Ritchie, who actually did have natural talent to the point of being a first round selection, he failed in the NHL because, to be blunt, he was too dumb. Brazeau though seems to have some savvy about him and a decent hockey IQ. If he keeps reading the game well, making smart plays and getting in good areas, he'll give himself every chance to cement his spot. I hope he does - the Bruins could definitely use a guy of his size and skill set. But there's a ways to go yet on that road. In the short-term he'll probably have to fight off Maroon for a spot. All he can do is keep making his case.
I still don't understand how he was undrafted. I mean it can only be his foot speed, but the kid went from 6 goals in his first year in the OHL to 22 in his 2nd, then to 39 and finally to 61 goals and 113 points in 68 games in his final year. He's also 6' 13". How does he go undrafted? Even if it's his foot speed why wouldn't someone pick him in a late round on a flyer? Or have I missed something? (Actually I guess he was overager in the OHL. But still.)

Reactions: Aussie Bruin

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
I still don't understand how he was undrafted. I mean it can only be his foot speed, but the kid went from 6 goals in his first year in the OHL to 22 in his 2nd, then to 39 and finally to 61 goals and 113 points in 68 games in his final year. He's also 6' 13". How does he go undrafted? Even if it's his foot speed why wouldn't someone pick him in a late round on a flyer? Or have I missed something? (Actually I guess he was overager in the OHL. But still.)
I mean no one really predicted that he had this in him even while he was in Providence. It's great to see and i'm curious too how he could have flown under the radar so long.

Reactions: Ladyfan

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
The Big Smoke (unfortunately)
I mean no one really predicted that he had this in him even while he was in Providence. It's great to see and i'm curious too how he could have flown under the radar so long.
Sure, but he had 61 goals and 113 points in 68 games in his, admittedly, 4th year in the OHL. That's not nothing lol. (I mean in terms of his getting drafted.)

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Was he even draft eligible at that point?

And at that point, he was probably better off picking his destination than enrolling in the draft.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine

Some kids just get lost in the shuffle. Torey Krug went undrafted.

Reactions: Ladyfan

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Yes I guess that’s true. Picked the Marlies and wound-up in the ECHL lol. Well their loss is our gain (as usual)!
The Bruins sent him to the ECHL as well after they signed him lol.

It's not a bad thing to get sent there to begin your pro career especially when there are things to work on.

That's why I'm keeping tabs on Ethan Ritchie, Adam Mechura and Ryan Mast.

Mantis

I am a doctah
Mar 7, 2011
Crimetown, Saskatchewan
Remember Bruins legend Yannick Riendeau? I was in highschool when we signed him but I used to wonder how he never got drafted and thought he would be a sure NHLer. I didn’t realize how much easier it was for an overager to put up points in the CHL and how much weaker the Quebec league was than the OHL and WHL.

Check out his stats for his final year in the Q, especially the playoffs

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022
Biggest thing for me is not only is he big and hard to move (that's obvious) but he also controls the puck in tight and down low while standing there as the immovable object and screen. This is a rarer skill for many a big guy who can often screen and tip but are usually just whacking around at loose pucks and hoping. He's a solid find for the Bruins for sure.

Mr. Make-Believe

While I find the overreaction comparables ludicrous, I've been a big fan of what I've seen from Brazeau. And I mean in every single game so far. He keeps it simple and plays to his strengths while recognizing his limitations.

Going through his past statistics, one thing I notice is that he seems to get better every single season. From juniors right through his professional career. It's never static and there's never a dropoff. Always improving. It's admirable to me.

I think he's played himself on to the top 12 in Boston. And I keep him there until he plays himself off of it.

Mr. Make-Believe

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
Aren't you capping Brazeau's ceiling a little low? What did Tim Kerr have like... Only six 50 goal seasons? That's maybe Brazeau's floor.
haha, right? like i get being enthusiastic about the guy, but Kerr averaged 0.56 goals per game over 650 games. i'd be ECSTATIC if Brazeau ended up half of what Kerr was.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I get that he's slow, no doubt, but one thing I'm noticing is his on ice awareness and how to take good angles to pucks. He's not going to win a foot race, but he seems to have good IQ on how to get to pucks in certain areas rather quickly. He anticipates the play well.
I wouldn't want to win a foot race with him if it means getting to the boards 3 seconds before him as he's barreling in.

• Haha
Reactions: 22Brad Park

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
The he's slower worries need to be put to rest, he is no slower than Geekie, Freddy , Coyle and he looks like the roadrunner compared to JVR
Eh I don't know about this...definitely a step faster than JVR but I think he's definitely behind Geekie, Freddy and Coyle

I think you would have a case with like 2021 Frederic but he's improved tremendously on his foot speed.

At the end of the day, the difference is marginal and he's clearly showing its not a major hinderance

Reactions: zaYG

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I like Brazeau but Frederic is probably twice the skater he is

He’s still not a good skater, he’s definitely slow by nhl standards. But I’ve noticed that he appears to have a high IQ out there. That and his reach I think make up for the lack of speed imo- at least a little bit

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
He has been better than I expected and is fun to watch.
Thanks for the reminder to submit my daily 7th player vote for Danton H.:)
considering he was on literally nobody's radar for nhl action this year, they should just give him
the 7th player award for what he's done (obviously kidding, but he's been so impressive).

Reactions: neelynugs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad