Value of: Justin Braun

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I agree with you about Kapanen.

However, to be clear, I quoted a guy who didn't want to include Kapanen in this offer:

He was suggesting keeping Kapanen out of an offer that already had no 1st. We're not getting anywhere with that. No decent defender could be had for Carrick+3rd+someonelessthanKapanen.
I was that guy, and my assertion wasn't just to drop Kapanen from the offer without replacing his value in it. "replace" was the first word of that post

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
I was that guy, and my assertion wasn't just to drop Kapanen from the offer without replacing his value in it. "replace" was the first word of that post

Then perhaps I misunderstood your post before. Sounded like you wanted to switch out Kapanen with a lesser prospect instead of a roster player. If that's not what you meant, then my bad.

I think you'd have to "replace" him with a 1st rounder. Because that's probably what it would take to get Braun, as I don't think the 3rd or Carrick mean a hill of beans to San Jose.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Then perhaps I misunderstood your post before. Sounded like you wanted to switch out Kapanen with a lesser prospect instead of a roster player. If that's not what you meant, then my bad.

I think you'd have to "replace" him with a 1st rounder. Because that's probably what it would take to get Braun, as I don't think the 3rd or Carrick mean a hill of beans to San Jose.
misunderstanding then, was not suggesting that Braun will go for a package where Carrick+3rd are the substantial value, just that Kapanen shouldn't be included because he impacts the roster depth of this year's team. The next 4 years are very important to the Leafs, Rielly and Kadri will make about half of what their market value is (accounting for year over year cap inflation), so we can temporarily afford more than we will be able to after that expires (barring some really good pieces coming out of the system on ELC's). Ergo - don't take pieces that will contribute in that time

Then what would you replace it with? 3rd+ Carrick isn't enough.
1st or Sandin would be my guess, Kapanen is the value piece in that trade package and whatever he was replaced with would have to be the same

Reactions: iSophagus

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
I'd want Liljegren or Durzi.
Zero chance a prospect like Liljegren would be included for a guy like Braun, even 1 for 1.
I kind of doubt Durzi would be either, especially if there is the expectation of a 1st as well.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Zero chance a prospect like Liljegren would be included for a guy like Braun, even 1 for 1.
I kind of doubt Durzi would be either, especially if there is the expectation of a 1st as well.

So you don't want a 2nd and prospect you want a 1st and a 2nd because Liljegren is the equivalent of a 1st.

I don't think Bruan is the type of D any team gives it's top prospect for

The context was 2nd plus prospect not a 1st.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Durzi + 2nd would be fine from this Leaf fan. Liljegren is a substantially more valuable prospect than Durzi and I wouldn't include him. If we were acquiring a Braun type, the hope is that is the bandaid until Liljegren is ready

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
If SJS win the Karlsson sweepstakes, you would have to think that he's available. 31 year old RH top 4 D with 2 x $3.8 remaining.

I would think Braun would need to be traded before we won the Karlsson sweepstakes due to cap reasons.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
That doesn't mean you go for the top prospect a team has, not for Justin Braun

That's fine. The Sharks aren't in a position where they need to trade him and his next two years is still more valuable than the kind of prospect that you're probably willing to give up that has small odds of making it and a 2nd which would probably be late and have similarly small odds of making it.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
That's fine. The Sharks aren't in a position where they need to trade him and his next two years is still more valuable than the kind of prospect that you're probably willing to give up that has small odds of making it and a 2nd which would probably be late and have similarly small odds of making it.

I can't believe people think they can talk DW into trading Braun for a couple of 2nds when he got as much or more for the likes of Brad Stuart and Douglas Murray.

Reactions: Phu

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I can't believe people think they can talk DW into trading Braun for a couple of 2nds when he got as much or more for the likes of Brad Stuart and Douglas Murray.

If the Sharks felt like they needed to dump him for no contracts then I can understand but I just don't see it at this point.

DoobieDubas

Legalize Hitting Again
Jul 15, 2018
Toronto
Durzi + 2nd would be fine from this Leaf fan. Liljegren is a substantially more valuable prospect than Durzi and I wouldn't include him. If we were acquiring a Braun type, the hope is that is the bandaid until Liljegren is ready

Unless we have to trade our D prospects I suggest trading our forward depth.

Bracco + 2nd 2019+ a 4th 2021 i would take all day if i was SJ and wanted to trade braun.

If they want a D then it's ransanen + . Just saying i highly doubt they trade their draft picks from this year without seeing what they have. Doesn't seem like a dubas move.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Fair. He's worth it.
I'd feel a lot better offering a good forward prospect and a 2nd instead of a d prospect.
I also have no issues tossing a straight 1st across.
Lily is obviously a no-go and that's not a slight at Braun

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad