Value of: Justin Braun

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
I'm just trying to remember a comparable but I'm drawing a blank.

Imagine Jeff Petry with a brain.

As for his value, I'd have to think that would be up to the Sens, as he'd probably be part of the deal. Obviously he wouldn't be part of their long-term plans, but they'd probably want to attempt to be competitive next year without holding their own pick.

But to put an exact figure, 1st at the deadline + project prospect (probably worth a bit more in a different draft year, but this year is supposed to be quite deep).

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Imagine Jeff Petry with a brain.

As for his value, I'd have to think that would be up to the Sens, as he'd probably be part of the deal. Obviously he wouldn't be part of their long-term plans, but they'd probably want to attempt to be competitive next year without holding their own pick.

But to put an exact figure, 1st at the deadline + project prospect (probably worth a bit more in a different draft year, but this year is supposed to be quite deep).
I'm not entirely convinced that he would be part of the deal though. I'm thinking he gets dealt in a completely different deal. He's far from a throw in and you rarely see roster players with value going the other way in deals like this.

As far as the comparison, I was looking for a value comparable not player. Edit: (Which you threw in at the end). Haha sorry early holiday morning.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
He be perfect fit with Gardiner... Be good for leafs until we develop our d prospects. Value do not know maybe 1st 2019, Kapanen, and Carrick.

Last edited:
Reactions: exporta

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
He'd be a good fit for Toronto for sure. Also I know they're in Edmonton's division but what about Braun to Edmonton?

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
I’d do a 2nd & Tymashov/Bracco

Rielly - Braun
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - Hainsey

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
I'm not entirely convinced that he would be part of the deal though. I'm thinking he gets dealt in a completely different deal. He's far from a throw in and you rarely see roster players with value going the other way in deals like this.

As far as the comparison, I was looking for a value comparable not player. Edit: (Which you threw in at the end). Haha sorry early holiday morning.

I think he would have value to the Sens in a Karlsson deal. Help them stay somewhat competitive and if they are out of a playoff spot could garner a 1st round pick (perhaps another pick or two) at the deadline.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
The problem with Braun is while I have no problem trading him, we just don’t have a replacement RHD to play with Braun. If Jeremy Roy hadn’t blew out his knee three times in the past three years, he’d be the guy.

Nolan11

Mar 5, 2013
The problem with Braun is while I have no problem trading him, we just don’t have a replacement RHD to play with Braun. If Jeremy Roy hadn’t blew out his knee three times in the past three years, he’d be the guy.
I think the scenario here is trading Braun as part of a greater deal in acquiring Karlsson, likely using some of the assets to get EK. Effectively, two deals to make a three way.

From above, Kappenen Carrick and a 1st from leafs for Braun. That would be a great haul. Add the leafs 1st to our two seconds, plus LaBanc, Melker, heed and a 2020 conditional 1st/2nd (+ prospect like Roy) and you might be getting to a reasonable deal for one year of EK

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
replace Kapanen with something else, the Leafs should be trying not to hurt the current roster and I think you can sub a non-roster asset without SJ balking here

I doubt SJ would consider such a lowball offer. Especially since a trade for Karlsson is a prerequisite in this thread, so they would presumably be low on picks and such after that trade.

He would get a 1st rounder, without question. Every single year (especially at the TDL) we see how little buying power draft picks have.

Any offer from TO would have to include a 1st rounder, unless we're talking a package with roster players that fill a need for SJ.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I doubt SJ would consider such a lowball offer. Especially since a trade for Karlsson is a prerequisite in this thread, so they would presumably be low on picks and such after that trade.

He would get a 1st rounder, without question. Every single year (especially at the TDL) we see how little buying power draft picks have.

Any offer from TO would have to include a 1st rounder, unless we're talking a package with roster players that fill a need for SJ.
I could see a scenario where there wasn't a 1st rounder involved, but the post you quoted was about keeping Kapanen out of it not keeping a 1st rounder out of it. Kapanen is ready to play now and I don't think SJ would value him over the 1st or Sandin, so I keep Kapanen over his value equivalents

Reactions: loyaltotheend

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
It would be something like 1st round pick and one of Leivo, Kapanen, Carrick.

Honestly, whatever team gets Braun will seriously regret it. He is a shell of what he once was and is only getting worse.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
I could see a scenario where there wasn't a 1st rounder involved, but the post you quoted was about keeping Kapanen out of it not keeping a 1st rounder out of it. Kapanen is ready to play now and I don't think SJ would value him over the 1st or Sandin, so I keep Kapanen over his value equivalents

I agree with you about Kapanen.

However, to be clear, I quoted a guy who didn't want to include Kapanen in this offer:
Okay, how about Kapanen+Carrick+3rd 2019

He was suggesting keeping Kapanen out of an offer that already had no 1st. We're not getting anywhere with that. No decent defender could be had for Carrick+3rd+someonelessthanKapanen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad