Value of: Justin Braun

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
<Bump>

Sharks don't NEED to trade him but probably will at some point, I bet.

With Burns and Karlsson taking major minutes on the right-handed side, Braun honestly seems like an expendable piece.

To tell the truth, I kind of feel the same way about Kadri in Toronto. He's a top-6 guy who will be limited to 3rd line minutes due to superior options being in front of him. With both Braun and Kadri, you won't get their full effectiveness with the limited minutes they'll be forced into.

Reactions: olli

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
With Burns and Karlsson taking major minutes on the right-handed side, Braun honestly seems like an expendable piece.

To tell the truth, I kind of feel the same way about Kadri in Toronto. He's a top-6 guy who will be limited to 3rd line minutes due to superior options being in front of him. With both Braun and Kadri, you won't get their full effectiveness with the limited minutes they'll be forced into.

Honestly, Braun is past the point of effectiveness in any other minutes. He’s probably a decent 3rd pairing guy but he was actually terrible this season in a more important role. He can’t handle it.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
Until we know what's up with Karlsson, I think we're all in now. Braun is expendable, but not sure I want to drop off to Heed from Braun as my third RHD. Burns and EK are unnderrated defensively, but adding Heed to that mix means you have risk takers on the right for 60 minutes per game.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Honestly, Braun is past the point of effectiveness in any other minutes. He’s probably a decent 3rd pairing guy but he was actually terrible this season in a more important role. He can’t handle it.

Could it be chalked up to an off-year or is he just declining? Seems like an odd age to start declining for a shutdown D.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Until we know what's up with Karlsson, I think we're all in now. Braun is expendable, but not sure I want to drop off to Heed from Braun as my third RHD. Burns and EK are unnderrated defensively, but adding Heed to that mix means you have risk takers on the right for 60 minutes per game.

EK beside Vlasic is going to be disgusting. That's the picture-perfect shutdown guy to let Karlsson fly. I predict they'll be unanimously considered the best pairing in hockey half-way through the season.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Could it be chalked up to an off-year or is he just declining? Seems like an odd age to start declining for a shutdown D.

He’s declining, cause he also sucked last year, and it’s visibly a decline. His decline is accelerated because he has always played with Vlasic and he takes the majority of the physical contact that comes from the shutdown D-zone minutes that they play.

Honestly, whoever gets him will regret it. He isn’t the answer to the Leafs problem.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
He’s declining, cause he also sucked last year, and it’s visibly a decline. His decline is accelerated because he has always played with Vlasic and he takes the majority of the physical contact that comes from the shutdown D-zone minutes that they play.

Honestly, whoever gets him will regret it. He isn’t the answer to the Leafs problem.

I wouldn't expect him to be the answer in Toronto, if he does end up a 3rd pairing guy that's still a spot that we need to fill. Our next best options for that spot are Holl and Carrrick (yeah, we're really f***ing bad at RHD). And with the subtraction of Polak we need a guy to take over some PK minutes.

SnarkAttack

Registered Loser
Jan 18, 2011
East Bay, CA
I wouldn't expect him to be the answer in Toronto, if he does end up a 3rd pairing guy that's still a spot that we need to fill. Our next best options for that spot are Holl and Carrrick (yeah, we're really ****ing bad at RHD). And with the subtraction of Polak we need a guy to take over some PK minutes.

He's not as good as he was, nor as bad as JoeThorntonsRooster says he is, but he is definitely still better at everything than Polak except hitting and making really stupid plays. Polak will always be elite in that regard.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
Well I think we can all agree a 1st is off the table for him

Why? He's an elite skater, excellent defensive d-man who can put up 30 points as well.. And he's still fairly young. I think a late first is very reasonable. No one's asking for a top-10 pick here.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Why? He's an elite skater, excellent defensive d-man who can put up 30 points as well.. And he's still fairly young. I think a late first is very reasonable. No one's asking for a top-10 pick here.
??? Who are you referring to?

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
FLA

Pysyk + 2020 2nd

For

SJ

Braun
2019 3rd

Gives FLA a fair upgrade in the top 4. Boughner knows Braun already.

SJ gets some cap relief and a higher pick for difference in skill.

DictatorTots427

Apr 8, 2018
I'd like to see the Leafs trade for him, and it makes sense now that SJ has Karlsson. How far off is 2nd + Brown?

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
2nd + 4th + choice a prospect that isn't one of our top 3 (Liljegren/Sandin/Grundstrom)

Borgman,Rosen,Rasanen,Korshkov,Bracco,Timashov, Nielsen etc

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->