Value of: Justin Braun

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
While i would like to agree, as i said, if we are getting the piece we need, then we should at least try to be fair in the deal.
Absolutely, I just think that there are other prospects that might be of a bigger need to them. They are pretty much set on the right side in this circumstance. It's counterproductive for us to do it if he's the piece going back IMO.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
I don't think he'd cost a 1st + a 2nd.

The most that I would offer would be;

Sandin
or
2019 1st
or
2019 2nd + 2020 2nd
Sandin should be kept as we got him at steal at 29th. He is worth more than late 1st rounder at least how I see it. Defense we need to pile up prospects as going to depend on them for cheap entry level contracts. Think fair offer is 1st 2019+Nielsen or go 2nd 2019+2nd 2020+Carrick. As im sure other teams could use Braun as well. Just as long does not touch our high prospects.

Last edited:

Nolan11

Mar 5, 2013
I think this only makes sense if SJ goes through a strong fall down the standings.

Don't see it happening.
Only makes sense now if Sharks have another deal in play to bring in a better RHD. If we get into season, then yeah, the wheels would have had to fall off to trade one of out top 4 without a replacement coming back.

Reactions: DoobieDubas

DoobieDubas

Legalize Hitting Again
Jul 15, 2018
Toronto
Sharks are probably only going to be interested in forward prospects if they're dynamic players. Standard forward prospects, even those with strong odds of being a solid middle six player are things the Sharks have an abundance of now and moving forward. They need future blue liners for when they inevitably need to move on from Dillon and Braun. Hell, they could use one now to supplant DeMelo because he's the shining example of what an average 3rd pairing/7th d-man looks like when they don't do anything well but don't do anything poorly. lol

Dynamic is what i had in mind when i suggested a forward like bracco + 2nd + 4th.

Only and literally the ONLY reason id trade bracco is we have marner established. Bracco on the pp is a phenom passer/smart guy for a different team who doesn't have a marner type.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Yes, but both Liljegren and Sandin are ahead of Ras...that's what they are for. We can't expect everything, if SJ needs Ras to make the deal, i pull the trigger.

There are certainly guys you trade a 1st. A 2nd and a prospect for, Justin Braun is not that guy

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Sandin should be kept as we got him at steal at 29th. He is worth more than late 1st rounder at least how I see it. Defense we need to pile up prospects as going to depend on them for cheap entry level contracts. Think fair offer is 1st 2019+Nielsen or go 2nd 2019+2nd 2020+Carrick. As im sure other teams could use Braun as well. Just as long does not touch our high prospects.

Umm, so a late first rounder is worth more than a late first rounder? He was expected to go between 28 and 33. I'm actually pissed the Leafs took him cause I wanted Buffalo to grab him at 32.

pmwlker

Apr 13, 2018
I’d think Sandin would be a nice piece for the Sharks future. Their backend isn’t exactly getting younger. Braun for Sandin makes sense to me if they get EK. Contend now with EK and get a nice future piece. Braun gives the Leafs flexibility on the right side until the prospects transition.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
An ask of SJ fans...I'm familiar with Braun's reputation, but I'm not familiar with his actual game, I rarely get to see him. While I believe he's a solid defensive RD, would anyone care to flesh out his strengths and weaknesses for me? Also, do you have someone in your system who you believe can replace his presence on your blue line were he to be traded?

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
An ask of SJ fans...I'm familiar with Braun's reputation, but I'm not familiar with his actual game, I rarely get to see him. While I believe he's a solid defensive RD, would anyone care to flesh out his strengths and weaknesses for me? Also, do you have someone in your system who you believe can replace his presence on your blue line were he to be traded?

Braun's a good skater and it helps him all over the place make up for the reality that has stick-work and vision with the puck aren't anything special. He'll take a hit to make a play and he moves the puck out of his zone well. He pinches well to keep the puck alive in the attacking zone without getting caught much. He's not going to lay any big hits. He's not going to get involved offensively much. He doesn't have much in way of offensive instincts other than pinching along the boards to keep pucks in. With the amount of hits he takes, he could wear down sooner rather than later.

The Sharks don't have someone of his type in their system at that position but he's also not exactly difficult to replace whether it's with a similar defensive defenseman or a different type of defenseman. Sharks don't need to necessarily replace him with another shutdown style defender.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Folks seem to pigeon hole him (like his D partner Vlasic) as a defensive D and gloss over the fact he had 33 point last season.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Braun's a good skater and it helps him all over the place make up for the reality that has stick-work and vision with the puck aren't anything special. He'll take a hit to make a play and he moves the puck out of his zone well. He pinches well to keep the puck alive in the attacking zone without getting caught much. He's not going to lay any big hits. He's not going to get involved offensively much. He doesn't have much in way of offensive instincts other than pinching along the boards to keep pucks in. With the amount of hits he takes, he could wear down sooner rather than later.

The Sharks don't have someone of his type in their system at that position but he's also not exactly difficult to replace whether it's with a similar defensive defenseman or a different type of defenseman. Sharks don't need to necessarily replace him with another shutdown style defender.

Thanks, and to Mattb124 as well. As a Leaf fan he sounded like the type of D we could use before I read your comments, and I don't think anything you've said subtracts from my opinion. That said, given your comments, he doesn't 'read' as a defensive stud, but moreso as a solid player...fitting my earlier uninformed opinion. I can't see the Leafs breaking the bank for the type of player you describe, but would something like a 1st in 19 and a solid prospect be of interest? I wouldn't include Liljegren, nor perhaps Sandin, but would any of our other prospects intrigue? I'd also consider some of our wingers, at the lower end, but I don't know your needs in this area.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Thanks, and to Mattb124 as well. As a Leaf fan he sounded like the type of D we could use before I read your comments, and I don't think anything you've said subtracts from my opinion. That said, given your comments, he doesn't 'read' as a defensive stud, but moreso as a solid player...fitting my earlier uninformed opinion. I can't see the Leafs breaking the bank for the type of player you describe, but would something like a 1st in 19 and a solid prospect be of interest? I wouldn't include Liljegren, nor perhaps Sandin, but would any of our other prospects intrigue? I'd also consider some of our wingers, at the lower end, but I don't know your needs in this area.
Honestly defense is really the main thing he does. He has a great first step and can catch anyone in the league. He can make the first pass but his 33 point season was misleading.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
My comment was not to suggest he is a 30 pt. d-man year in and year out, but that he is not a pure defensive d-man who can break up the opposition's play but is unable to drive play for his team.

Reactions: Gecklund

boylerroom

Jan 2, 2012
PRofKA
I think SJ only trades Braun if they get an improvement on D, which isn't happening.

That said I think it'll be late towards deadline most likely if it happens. So one year left and a playoff would probably merit two 2nds or a 2nd and a prospect, maybe less. I doubt a 1st. GM's don't like to give up 1sts unless they are getting THE guy they think will make a big difference and Justin Braun isn't that on any NHL roster.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
My comment was not to suggest he is a 30 pt. d-man year in and year out, but that he is not a pure defensive d-man who can break up the opposition's play but is unable to drive play for his team.

Pure defensive defensemen can have career years from a production standpoint. Braun is a shutdown d-man that had a career year last year in assists. The chances of him repeating a 28 assist year is not very good given his role.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I’d think Sandin would be a nice piece for the Sharks future. Their backend isn’t exactly getting younger. Braun for Sandin makes sense to me if they get EK. Contend now with EK and get a nice future piece. Braun gives the Leafs flexibility on the right side until the prospects transition.

If the sharks get EK Braun is likely part of a trade

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->