Prospect Info: Justin Bailey (2013, 52nd) – '17-18: Rochester #95 (AHL)

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Raw is fine but he certainly has the natural physical attributes of a hockey beast. I think he'll be a keeper. Race aside, I remember people calling Wayne Simmonds "raw" with all the tools. Hopefully, Justin, with his bloodlines, can put those tools together as well. He'd be a TM kinda player.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Raw is fine but he certainly has the natural physical attributes of a hockey beast. I think he'll be a keeper. Race aside, I remember people calling Wayne Simmonds "raw" with all the tools. Hopefully, Justin, with his bloodlines, can put those tools together as well. He'd be a TM kinda player.

He definitely was raw when we drafted him. Most other CHLers in the draft were in their second CHL season, some in their third, while he played his previous season with the Long Island Royals. He was behind the ball relative to his peers in part because he was young for his draft class. He had and still has a lot to work on. That's not a knock on his upside. If anything it's an indication of his upside and why he was available where he was. With Armia traded Bailey has the best scoring tools of any winger in our system. He's going to need that AHL time like the majority of prospects.

Foligno17

SabresFan since 1971
Jul 2, 2011
Grand Fenwick (NC)
People say that Bailey is raw, but his production this year compares well with Reinhart's. All the kids probably need to improve. This guy seems to be the most underrated prospect on this board with maybe Facshing the most overrated. I understand that points are not the sole measure of a player, but point production should be a reasonable indicator of success at the next level.

Bailey is described as physically gifted and he's putting up good numbers. Is it his decision making and positional play that is considered to be raw?

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
People say that Bailey is raw, but his production this year compares well with Reinhart's. All the kids probably need to improve. This guy seems to be the most underrated prospect on this board with maybe Facshing the most overrated. I understand that points are not the sole measure of a player, but point production should be a reasonable indicator of success at the next level.

Bailey is described as physically gifted and he's putting up good numbers. Is it his decision making and positional play that is considered to be raw?

I couldn't disagree more with the bolded.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011

The issues I have noted is his skating will be suspect for a few years at least, his aggressiveness in the offensive end needs some work, and he needs to learn to use his size and strength along the boards.

That said, it could just be the way kitchener was using him (more as a set up sniper), I have not seen him since the trade.

He does have a nice release and shot, but that is not likely how he can score at the next level, he will likely have to transform to mopre of a garbage goal/hard worker to succeed.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
I couldn't disagree more with the bolded.

I disagree too, but with the caveat (for CHL players)

"CHL scoring success is no indicator for NHL scoring success, but NHL scoring success is an indicator of CHL scoring success".

SabresBillsBuffalo

May 4, 2010
Buffalo
The issues I have noted is his skating will be suspect for a few years at least, his aggressiveness in the offensive end needs some work, and he needs to learn to use his size and strength along the boards.

That said, it could just be the way kitchener was using him (more as a set up sniper), I have not seen him since the trade.

He does have a nice release and shot, but that is not likely how he can score at the next level, he will likely have to transform to mopre of a garbage goal/hard worker to succeed.
You have issues with Baileys skating? Kid can absolutely fly...

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
IMO, at this point in his career he would not be projected to be a top 6 NHL regular but of course his development can change. We will see how he does playing against men in the AHL.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

Could be his edge work, his balance, or something with his transitioning. Just because a kid can skate fast doesn't mean he's a great skater. He might be fast in a straight line, but he might have issues with starting and stopping.

SabresBillsBuffalo

May 4, 2010
Buffalo
Could be his edge work, his balance, or something with his transitioning. Just because a kid can skate fast doesn't mean he's a great skater. He might be fast in a straight line, but he might have issues with starting and stopping.
His edge work was always pretty good and he can take it to the net hard. Watch a few of his goals on YouTube gives you an idea of the skater he is in some of them.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
I'd like to see more of him before I can comment on his strengths and areas of opportunity but, I feel comfortable saying that top 6 power forward is NOT a reach for him. I don't think he'll have an issue with hard work, has speed and strength and he does have a decent scoring touch.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011

Compared to OHL players his speed is pretty good. Compared to NHLer's its below average.

Bailey is not McDavid, Baptiste or Domi.

And it is more about foot work, edging and acceleration, not top end speed. Every NHL is extraordinarily fast once they get going, its how quickly they get up to speed that matters.

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia
Work ethic the #1 concern? Wasn't he part of the Kaleta/Girgensons group during OTA's? You're in with those guys, you either know how to put in max effort or learn damn quick.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Since traded in the OHL he has excelled, pretty sure he's wearing the A there too. Could he play next year ?

He is in Rochester to start the season and go from there. He could get a call up for an injury. I think him and Baptiste will compete for the RW call up.

I see him or Baptiste getting a job in 16/17 at the NHL level.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Work ethic the #1 concern? Wasn't he part of the Kaleta/Girgensons group during OTA's? You're in with those guys, you either know how to put in max effort or learn damn quick.

Not a concern with me. I may not have been clear but, I believe it will be one of his strengths moving forward. Hard work is what got him to this point in his development and it's what will get him to the next level. Not just on-ice work. I doubt Pops will let him slack through development leagues.

Superhero

Jul 9, 2003
Amherst(Buffalo), NY
Visit site
Bailey had a very good offseason in 2015 which has allowed him to take a big step forward this hockey season. Hopefully he will have another excellent hard working offseason this summer. The AHL will be a big step up from the OHL for him.

His size and speed combo along with his shooting ability should get him into the top 6 in the NHL someday especially if he is willing to go into the dirty areas of the ice & play solid defense.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

I'm sure he was talking about on-ice work ethic. He definitely has been inconsistent in his physical game and the little things. I'm not sure it's been a matter of effort so much as a lack of confidence in what he can and should be doing. Keep in mind last year was only his second season of junior hockey. In either case he looks worlds better in that and every other area this season.

schenneuf

Jul 4, 2011
Thoughts on Justin Bailey? Do you expect him to compete for a spot next season? What expectations for him do you have in the future? Seems like he's always under the radar.

Disengage

Nov 11, 2007
Thoughts on Justin Bailey? Do you expect him to compete for a spot next season? What expectations for him do you have in the future? Seems like he's always under the radar.

I see him with the Amerks, possible injury call up.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013

People see his height and expect a power forward. That's not the way he'll make the NHL if he gets to the show.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad