Prospect Info: Justin Bailey (2013, 52nd) – '17-18: Rochester #95 (AHL)

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
Admittedly, I didn't know much about Bailey as I didn't buy any Kitchener games this year on OHL Livestream. Watching highlights, this kid looks like something special.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Admittedly, I didn't know much about Bailey as I didn't buy any Kitchener games this year on OHL Livestream. Watching highlights, this kid looks like something special.

Yeah, the toolset is there -- he's big and has such an awesome shoot array. If they iron out the hitches in his skating stride while he fills out, he could be a real interesting player down the road. Scoring knack in that sort of frame is enviable.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
NHL.com - Justin Bailey thrilled to land with hometown Sabres:
"Justin's on the upward swing," Sabres director of amateur scouting Kevin Devine told NHL.com. "We had Connor Hurley rated further ahead of him, but to get Justin where we got him was a real nice surprise for us. He's a big guy who hasn't filled out his frame yet, and very athletic. He's just kind of getting it now after his first year in Kitchener. That's a heck of a league he played in, and to score 17 goals is a good accomplishment. His potential is unlimited."
"I feel I'm still learning, but I'll keep developing," Bailey said. "My dad played at 240 pounds and was 6-foot-4. I'd like to stay at 190 pounds. I need to win a majority of those battles along the boards and not get pushed around. I don't want to put on too much weight, but the sky's the limit. Having an opportunity to help the Buffalo Sabres is going to be special, and I really like the way they are rebuilding the team."
However, I do think he's going to have to play heavier than 190 though.

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
This is a very nice pick for the Sabres... dammit! :D

Bailey has been in my top two favourite Rangers since his first pre-season game last year. He just has that something special that draws your attention, and with a little meat on his bones and more ice time, I think he's going to have a very good year this year.

Love his comments in his media meet-and-greet on WGR - a very well spoken young man.

Very respectful, very appreciative of the opportunities, and humble. Just a great kid, from everything I've heard from people who know him in Kitchener.

I'm envious.

Rivet52

Oct 10, 2008
Buffalo, NY
A friend I work with is Bailey's best friend and we talk about Justin a lot. He's actually going to introduce me to him when he gets back from Lake Placid. So it'll be cool to make a new friend and get to know him.

From all accounts as to what his friend tells me about him, he's a goal-scorer. I'm not sure about the power forward hopes but you never know. He's got one of the best shots I've ever seen in a prospect. I'm rooting for him.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
A friend I work with is Bailey's best friend and we talk about Justin a lot. He's actually going to introduce me to him when he gets back from Lake Placid. So it'll be cool to make a new friend and get to know him.

From all accounts as to what his friend tells me about him, he's a goal-scorer. I'm not sure about the power forward hopes but you never know. He's got one of the best shots I've ever seen in a prospect. I'm rooting for him.

"Power forward" is something that seems to mean a lot of different things. If we're talking about mean physical play, that might not be his game, but using a big body to shield the puck and cut in on net to me is the basis of what a power forward is. He should be that sort of player if he makes it to the league.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Justin Bailey traded to Sault Ste Marie

No confirmed links yet, but if it's true, that would be great for him on the heels of missing out on the WJC. With an AHL deal probable next year, this is likely his last chance at junior glory. He could get top line minutes with Tolchinsky. This could be great for his development.

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Good news. Gotta love it when guys get to finish their CHL careers with teams that have a chance to play deep. Not as exciting as Baptiste with Erie but it's close. There's some real talent on this team.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
I would think he'd be in Rochester next year with possible call up potential, but it's possible he could make the team if he lights it up in camp. I wouldn't bet on it though

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Since traded in the OHL he has excelled, pretty sure he's wearing the A there too. Could he play next year ?

http://youtu.be/080wc5-cSsQ

No way is he in the NHL next year. He's still raw relative to his draft class. Previous to his draft season he was playing with Pat LaFontaine's Long Island Royals. He's also pretty young relative to his class, being only two months older than the cut-off for the 2014 draft. Expect him to be in the AHL for a good couple seasons.

Bps21*

If he survives the bloodletting of the deadline and offseason....he will be in Rochester for a while.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad