Post-Game Talk: Just not good enough, Jets lose 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
So what exactly do you suggest they do about 55 and 26’s allowances? Do you feel benching them will make them accountable and once they learn the errors of their ways, the others will follow them like the pied pipers?

You can’t alienate your top talent, it just doesn’t work that way.

Yeah if Maurice starts doing that he losses his main supporters in the room and things turn on him.

Reactions: thegr8one66 and rkp

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
I think I no longer care for this season. I'm just going to look ahead for what player to pick at the draft. Making the playoffs or not is irrelevant - Jets will probably just lose in the first round.

Hoping Chevy doesn't do anything stupid tomorrow.

AKAChip

Nov 19, 2013
Winnipeg
So what exactly do you suggest they do about 55 and 26’s allowances? Do you feel benching them will make them accountable and once they learn the errors of their ways, the others will follow them like the pied pipers?

You can’t alienate your top talent, it just doesn’t work that way.
While I don’t want to speak for everyone, my stance is very simple. I don’t want/need Maurice to make an example of Scheifele or Wheeler, I’m just frustrated by the double standard when it comes to punishment or calling players out in the media. And clearly Maurice has no issue alienating his top talent assuming you consider Ehlers to be amongst that group.

If Maurice wants to be a players guy where players don’t get held accountable for defensive lapses or selfish play in the interest in keeping team unity, fine. Not how I would do things, but at least it’s a consistent message. My issue is that Maurice clearly wants to have it both ways. As things stand now, there is a dichotomy with how his guys are treated and how the rest are treated. And it likely drives “the rest” wild trying to figure out how to get into the group that can seemingly do no wrong. Or at least it would drive me crazy if I were Ehlers and to a lesser extent Laine and a Roslovic.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Hard not to be negative when they get zero shots in last 9 minutes when down by a goal. Where's the desperation. Bounces my ass.

The Beaulieu and Demelo pairing was bad. On Bufflalo's game winner Beaulieu takes himself out of the play at the blue line, then coasts behind Okposo, turns away from him, doesn't move his feet and never attempts to get back into the play. Not sure what the hell he was thinking. And then Demelo overplays the pass allowing way to much time and space for Okposo to shoot.

On the bright side Harkins was a beast and if he starts burying his chances he will be a true top 6 guy.

Mo demotes Ehlers yet again when we need offence. He is hands down our best zone entry guy - witness him flying end to end late in the third taking every Sabre on the ice deep with him before setting up Beaulieu - who craps it up but the Ehler speed on that rush was breath-taking. Mo is so old school it's just painful.

I don't know why it's a big deal. Harkins played great. I mean he definitely played better than Ehlers, because he kept skating throughout his shifts. Ehlers gets 3rd line minutes, that's his opportunity. Top 9 is still favourable minutes, and 3rd line should be an opportunity to get secondary scoring. He made some nice plays, but I also noticed that other than the chance Shore set him up with, which came off an odd man rush, he didn't go anywhere near the net, which is where you score form. Zone entries are great, but too many of our forward group would rather pass or try to stickhandle through the trap, than safely dump the puck in the corner and go get it. That's a real problem. You have to work to get goals.

I agree that De Melo and Beaulieu were bad. Really couldn't move the puck up the ice to generate speed. Fumbled with the puck too. The GWG Beaulieu should be a little more inside, but that's Scheifele I believe cheating offensively, so that what is a 2-1 at the blueline becomes a breakaway with a one touch pass. Close game and the forwards are on the wrong side of the puck. Any forward support and that chance is snuffed out regardless of the play Beaulieu makes. Still Beulieu was particularly bad. I would say he is injured the way he was a step behind in his skating. He really looked to be labouring. Blocking shots sure slows you down. For all the negativity our PK is on a real good stretch, and Beaulieu is a big part of that. But he's in that 5-7 range like a good glut of our d-men. For those who have said De Melo is a clear cut #3, I would say that Kulikov still holds that distinction, and De Melo has to be better than a 5-7 defenseman. We just had no offense from our defense other than Pionk, and that's realistically what our team is without Morrissey providing a 1-2 punch.

Reactions: Positive

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
While I don’t want to speak for everyone, my stance is very simple. I don’t want/need Maurice to make an example of Scheifele or Wheeler, I’m just frustrated by the double standard when it comes to punishment or calling players out in the media. And clearly Maurice has no issue alienating his top talent assuming you consider Ehlers to be amongst that group.

If Maurice wants to be a players guy where players don’t get held accountable for defensive lapses or selfish play in the interest in keeping team unity, fine. Not how I would do things, but at least it’s a consistent message. My issue is that Maurice clearly wants to have it both ways. As things stand now, there is a dichotomy with how his guys are treated and how the rest are treated. And it likely drives “the rest” wild trying to figure out how to get into the group that can seemingly do no wrong. Or at least it would drive me crazy if I were Ehlers and to a lesser extent Laine and a Roslovic.
I’m not sure that’s the issue with the team though. To be honest, this is likely more fan frustration than player. All this could change tomorrow and I doubt it changes the fortunes of the team.

AKAChip

Nov 19, 2013
Winnipeg
I’m not sure that’s the issue with the team though. To be honest, this is likely more fan frustration than player. All this could change tomorrow and I doubt it changes the fortunes of the team.
I have no doubt it’s not the only issue with the team but seeing as this team would almost certainly perform better if Ehlers played more, it’s pretty certainly at least one of them. I won’t further speculate on how the players feel about this aspect of Maurice’s coaching style because I’m obviously not in the room. But yes it’s certainly infuriating as a fan to witness obvious hypocrisy.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
I have no doubt it’s not the only issue with the team but seeing as this team would almost certainly perform better if Ehlers played more, it’s pretty certainly at least one of them. I won’t further speculate on how the players feel about this aspect of Maurice’s coaching style because I’m obviously not in the room. But yes it’s certainly infuriating as a fan to witness obvious hypocrisy.
Agreed about Ehlers. He just doesn’t play the right way for Mo, it’s baffling. Limiting his ice time sure isn’t the answer though.

AKAChip

Nov 19, 2013
Winnipeg
Agreed about Ehlers. He just doesn’t play the right way for Mo, it’s baffling. Limiting his ice time sure isn’t the answer though.
Seeing as Ehlers is a strong defensive player on top of being an incredible possession player, one has to wonder what exactly playing the right way actually means and do we trust those making that distinction when it flies in the face of what most successful NHL teams are doing? Not that we have any choice, but still.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
I am on your side here in that his methods haven't resulted in overall effective team performance. But I think the player development angle really can't be overlooked. As a small market team they will need to develop as many good players as possible and the overall organizational method is working at getting the most out of the players that seem to make it.

As mentioned I think he needs to relax certain restrictions offensively for some players so that we get back to more of a 2018 type of system albeit with better zone entries.
Why are we giving him credit for developing players exactly? First round draft turn into good players on every team with all kinds of coaches. I think it’s where more important how a coach uses all kinds of talent. Forcing Petan to play on a 4th line out of position with garbage line mates shows me how he good he is at developing talent.

PoMo is good at keep the alpha talent happy, being competent enough to not trigger a mutiny and smooth talking enough for players to listen to him.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011

Jesus. The blind hate for Maurice when Ehlers gets demoted. He was on for the 1st goal against, and didn't exactly do much. That was a smart move. Harkins generated offense. God damn it was nice to see 3 Jets within 10 feet of the net. Got one goal, could have 3 more by my count.. Ristolainen made a helluva a play to box out Harkins for an easy tap in, on the Scheifele move that went right on the line. None of the forwards played over 20 minutes today, in what was mostly a 3 line game. Ehlers got 15 minutes, and that was without any PPs, but 2 PKs. That's pretty much standard for him, 16 minutes a night.

What killed us is that Beaulieu shouldn't be leading the team in ice time. Not at any point this season. That was a curious move. But Bitetto/Poolman were hardly confidence inspiring, and somebody had to be the 2nd pair.
The difference in this game was that Buffalo had 6 quality NHL defensemen in their lineup, who played well. Jets had a 1st pairing, and a lot of struggles without them.

Ehlers-Roslovic were a solid duo of wingers when Wheeler was centering them, Eakin is a big drop off, but all that money $19 million for Connor, Laine, Ehlers, and none were driving the bus.

Reactions: roccerfeller

hn777

Apr 22, 2019
Jesus. The blind hate for Maurice when Ehlers gets demoted. He was on for the 1st goal against, and didn't exactly do much. That was a smart move. Harkins generated offense. God damn it was nice to see 3 Jets within 10 feet of the net. Got one goal, could have 3 more by my count.. Ristolainen made a helluva a play to box out Harkins for an easy tap in, on the Scheifele move that went right on the line. None of the forwards played over 20 minutes today, in what was mostly a 3 line game. Ehlers got 15 minutes, and that was without any PPs, but 2 PKs. That's pretty much standard for him, 16 minutes a night.
What killed us is that Beaulieu shouldn't be leading the team in ice time. Not at any point this season. That was a curious move. But Bitetto/Poolman were hardly confidence inspiring, and somebody had to be the 2nd pair.
The difference in this game was that Buffalo had 6 quality NHL defensemen in their lineup, who played well. Jets had a 1st pairing, and a lot of struggles without them.
Ehlers-Roslovic were a solid duo of wingers when Wheeler was centering them, Eakin is a big drop off, but all that money $19 million for Connor, Laine, Ehlers, and none were driving the bus.
Come on Voy, Ehlers was at the blue line while two defensemen (Bitetto - Poolman) tried to tie up one opponent (Okposo) in front of the net and failed. Hard to blame that one on Ehlers, or any of the other forwards.

Ehlers played a total of 3:16 today with Scheifele - Wheeler.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Come on Voy, Ehlers was at the blue line while two defensemen (Bitetto - Poolman) tried to tie up one opponent (Okposo) in front of the net and failed. Hard to blame that one on Ehlers, or any of the other forwards.

Ehlers played a total of 3:16 today with Scheifele - Wheeler.

I am not saying that was his fault, but he twice lost the puck at the blue line, that puck gets out and stays out, and there is no scoring chance. Yes Bitetto did his usual spin around after blocking a shot, and didn't even think to front the man. That's substitute defense I agree.

Can anyone say that Harkins wasn't good on the top line? They were dangerous. Ehlers had a good chance in the 2nd, and made a nifty feed to Beaulieu, but I have to say there was a shift I was watching him, in the offensive zone, and he played it entirely up at the top of the blue line. Well unless you get a lucky bounce or the d pinches down you are not going to generate a quality scoring chance. If he is getting 3rd line minutes on the road, he really needs to eat up weaker opponents. Hopefully next game, the team rebounds.

Easternbull

Nov 18, 2016
I have no problem with Harkins getting a shot on the first line, thought he was our best player last night. But I cant swallow promoting Wheeler to the top line when he has shown nothing IMHO, he has been the worst of our top 6 forwards this season and has no buisness on the first line or top pp. Copp is not a top 6 forward period. How come 55 refuses to back check!!

Last edited:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
He got called out in presser?

Who did Chatty Cathy call out?

Sadly I can tell you who didn’t get called out and who will never get called out by our “coach” and I didn’t see his interview. Paul is a master politician but yesterday of all days he should have shut the f*** up because he had the worse game of anyone on that bench.

Normally I leave the refs and Maurice alone because why bother complaining about something that will never change but seriously he needs to look in the mirror.

Either way we are a mediocre team that fortunately is in a race against other mediocre teams for the last wildcard spot in the west. The Pacific sucks and so do we but someone has to make it don’t they :laugh:.

Yesterday was a bit tough to process we were flat as hell, undermanned as usual, and Paul needed to take the day off and give someone else on the bench a shot.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I think there's a difference between overall negativity and over-analyzing each goal against as to who is directly responsible and why it's Maurice's fault.

Negative chat is fine as long as it doesn't involve wishing injury on certain staff members or name-calling.

It does not do well for bringing in new posters, though. Also, the PGTs after losses are double the size, at least, of those with wins. There's a certain appeal to debate what's wrong, I suppose.

In fairness to HFJets fans literally every fan base hates losing and are insufferable in their PGT’s.

Death

taxes

Every fan base on HFBoards hates their coach.

Reactions: None

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Both also lack coach accountability for key stars. We have the misfortune of long term commitments to coaching dinosaurs. Wheels and Schief are held to account in places like Pit, Tampa, Wash etc. "Gud Pro's" get a free pass here.
You sure? Did you not see the top players for the Leafs on the bench the last three minutes of Saturday’s game? Keefe benched them and played guys like spezza and didn’t even pull the goalie when they could’ve scored three against the zamboni guy. There was a message sent there. I can’t see Mau sitting Wheeler Scheif to play Shore last 3 minutes.

Vekke

Feb 28, 2018
Both also lack coach accountability for key stars. We have the misfortune of long term commitments to coaching dinosaurs. Wheels and Schief are held to account in places like Pit, Tampa, Wash etc. "Gud Pro's" get a free pass here.
Seriously Winnipeg misses to whole culture of accountability. Coach and older players are all outside of any accountability. Few younger players get thrown under the bus time to time and it is business as usual again.

Until this changes Jets will be mediocre always and it seems that big audience loves it. PoMo, Scheif, Wheels and Little are outside of any critics around mainstream fans and are untouchable.

AKAChip

Nov 19, 2013
Winnipeg

I’m frankly baffled that you can observe Maurice’s treatment of Ehlers and then come to the conclusion that those who point it out and question it are suffering from “blind” hatred. I’d suggest that those who continue to support him despite mountains of evidence pointing to him being mediocre are suffering from blind support.

purdy44

Registered Loser
Feb 8, 2013
Lac Seul, ON
It will turn into a 3rd if we re-sign Eakin. Though if you watch closely and read the subtle body language and voice tone cues, you might get the sense that he's not as excited about being on the Jets as he let on in that intermission interview... :sarcasm:
He went from playing in Las Vegas to now being in Winnipeg with friends of friends of cousins bugging him every day for free tickets. Can you blame the guy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad