Post-Game Talk: Just not good enough, Jets lose 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
In a small market when you are lucky enough to have a period of riches like our forward group a method coach is the exact opposite of what the team should have.
I wish someone could come up with a single reason why TNSE is making a competent decision on this.

I am on your side here in that his methods haven't resulted in overall effective team performance. But I think the player development angle really can't be overlooked. As a small market team they will need to develop as many good players as possible and the overall organizational method is working at getting the most out of the players that seem to make it.

As mentioned I think he needs to relax certain restrictions offensively for some players so that we get back to more of a 2018 type of system albeit with better zone entries.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
How many “axe the coach” posts do we need? Seriously, we all know it’s not happening. Is it a catharsis thing or something? It’s the very definition of old man yelling at cloud.

We’re getting stale folks.
In my mind, Maurice is now Jets coach for life. I dont even suggest we replace him anymore. TNSE has some criteria that are unclear, I dont think winning is really taken seriously. So I am going to love the team for what we got, whatever it happens to be.

The good thing is we can say shit now.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Couple of thoughts (non-emotional:))

* It is utterly mind-blowing that, with Morrissey out, we elect to play Bitetto, instead of Niku. This left us with a lineup whereby the only D capable of moving the puck and/or generating any offense was Pionk, and we saw the result. D pairings that couldnt contribute one iota to generating scoring attacks - with no shots on net for extended periods of time when most desperately needed.

* Harkins showed very well when put with Scheifele/Wheeler and went some way towards confirming my view that Scheifele would play better flanked by 2 puck possession guys than he does flanked by 2 elite shooters. Whether this benefit justifies breaking up the Harkins/Roslovic/Appleton line is debateable but Maurice almost forced the breakup in his zeal(misplaced) to immediately start Eakins on the 3rd line.
You clearly didn’t get the memo on Niku. He’s awful beyond words and contributes absolutely nothing.

Reactions: AKAChip

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
I didn't watch today's game..didn't even know who won until 5 minutes ago. Sounded like an utterly disgusting game. Maurice again sounded like an idiot.

There is something to be said for a long losing streak that may force serious change.

johnnyonthspot

Apr 1, 2012
The bottom line is that this team as it is constituted is not a playoff team whether you want to blame it on coaching, players, the GM or all of the above. They do not do what it takes to win the 'winnable games'
I could sense that once they could not score early in the 3rd after the pressure they put on Buffalo the game was over.
This season cannot end soon enough as it is looking like it will be heartbreak city when they miss the
playoffs by 2 or 4 points.

Full credit to Buffalo for playing a system that got them the win and looking good doing it.

PaulPooley

Nov 18, 2018
Would you trade Ehlers for Makar?

I'd hate to lose Nik but I'd pay for his plane ticket on that one. No player is untradable afaic
I’m starting to think Ehlers is going to be part of a major trade Chevy swings. But I would absolutely hate to see him go. He’s a Winnipeg Jet through and through.

Reactions: sipowicz

Hulide

Jul 12, 2017
Would you trade Ehlers for Makar?

I'd hate to lose Nik but I'd pay for his plane ticket on that one. No player is untradable afaic
Yes i would.. but i think i was replying for a top 4 D right? i would also trade him for Mcdavid....;)

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Forwards were crap but half our defenseman can't move the puck up to our forwards with decent passes , it's very frustrating .
Yet time and time again I see our forwards with control of the puck and try something stupid at it blueline and then it's in our net.

The forwards have to do their part in zone exits.

Reactions: Jets 31

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
How do you blame a 2-1 loss on the defence unless you think Buffalo would not have been able to play the trap if we had say Niku in the lineup to create some space from the backend?
Someone has to get pucks to the Fs on breakouts, transitions and regroups

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
I don't want to trade Ehlers but they need help on D and Ehlers is wasted by PoMo at 15 minutes TOI on the third line. Why would Ehlers or Chevy accept that for another 3 years?

Reactions: rkp and sipowicz

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Unless we get some super star in return --it's stupid to trade Ehlers in my opinion. It's hard to find fast guys, that are great scorers on a reasonable contract. You don't trade guys like this.

Help is coming for our backend -- in Samberg, and our 5th round selection in Chisholm --that will really add to our blueline. Chisholm is having a career year with the Marlies this year --and is big and fast.

Jet's need to be patient --there is tomorrow as well --like next season. Patience is the key to success sometimes.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
Unless we get some super star in return --it's stupid to trade Ehlers in my opinion. It's hard to find fast guys, that are great scorers on a reasonable contract. You don't trade guys like this.

Help is coming for our backend -- in Samberg, and our 5th round selection in Chisholm --that will really add to our blueline. Chisholm is having a career year with the Marlies this year --and is big and fast.

Jet's need to be patient --there is tomorrow as well --like next season. Patience is the key to success sometimes.

Adding those two will Skyrocket us into contender status .....

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Adding those two will Skyrocket us into contender status .....

It's part of a process like everything else. The Jet's need to concentrate on their weakness -"defense" and be a bit patient here. The last thing I want to see is players like Ehlers or Connor get traded. If that happens, I won't follow the Jets anymore -- due to bad management. I don't think Chevy is stupid enough to let our great assets go though.

2 guys we should unload would be Wheeler, and Perrault, and likely Little, but Wheeler has a NMC in his contract.

Last edited:

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Don't even know what to say about this back to back lost.
Could have been 3 point up in the wildcard race.

Also
There is almost always someone a boss doesnt appreciate no matter what they do.
Ehlers
There is almost always someone a boss gloat about someone no matter what they do.
Connor
Plus
Wheeler

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad