Post-Game Talk: Just not good enough, Jets lose 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zippity

Feb 3, 2013
He went from playing in Las Vegas to now being in Winnipeg with friends of friends of cousins bugging him every day for free tickets. Can you blame the guy?
Lol
And the players have to pay for them

FFHockey

Oct 12, 2015
Winnipeg, Manitoba,
Why are we giving him credit for developing players exactly? First round draft turn into good players on every team with all kinds of coaches. I think it’s where more important how a coach uses all kinds of talent. Forcing Petan to play on a 4th line out of position with garbage line mates shows me how he good he is at developing talent.

PoMo is good at keep the alpha talent happy, being competent enough to not trigger a mutiny and smooth talking enough for players to listen to him.
You lost me at Petan...

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
I don't blame people getting riled up for yet another Ehlers demotion. It doesn't even matter if he had a bad game - because he's basically the only guy for whom it works like that. For certain guys having a bad game, or 2, or 3 doesn't mean a thing, but for Ehlers having a bad period means he is in line 2 or 3. I mean he can play well and will still get demoted. I think at this point it should be clear to anyone it's really not about anything else than Maurice flat out not liking his game, no matter how well it works. It used to be like that for Laine as well, until he completely changed how he plays.

I even kind of understand Maurice, I mean if he demands certain type of game from players and one guy keeps doing things his way, of course it will rub the coach the wrong way. But since Ehlers' game obviously works, the coach should also look in the mirror and think long and hard about his systems and how to utilize guy like Ehlers without having to ask him to become a completely different player. He should've thought about that with Laine as well. I'm not necessarily arguing that the way Laine has been developed has been wrong, I mean clearly he is a very good hockey player and his two-way game is on a completely different level compared to his first seasons, but he's also several years older and physically more mature, so it's entirely possible he would be even better player if Maurice had let him just play to his strengths and built something around that.

It's not all bad what Maurice is doing, but a lot of the time his roster management can make you crazy. Also the complete double standard, when has he ever called out Wheels for anything, or couple other players? Yet he'll throw Ehlers under the bus for anything, despite Ehlers being consistently one of the best 5v5 guys in the team.

slurpee addict

Winter is Coming
Jul 13, 2018
Winnipeg
Yup, bad weekend for us Jets fans. Hopefully today won't be a continuation of that with a dumb trade.

Couple of points that I haven't seen mentioned - I'm getting a little tired of seeing Conner hang onto the puck too much and not look for an early pass. He turned a few 3 on 2's on the weekend into nothing and often it can result in the other two players being caught out of position or being in the wrong position. He can score, but he might be trying to hard at the moment. Gotta be frustrating for Laine.
I'm also not a big fan of how quickly our defence 'gives' up our blue line on the other teams rushes. The first two goals on Saturday were classic examples of that. I get they're collectively less skilled than most teams dmen, but it's so consistent that it must be a coaching choice.
I thought Eakin looked ok. I think he can add something that we have been missing, but don't get too attached. I'd be shocked he signs here this summer.

Last edited:

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
I’m not sure that’s the issue with the team though. To be honest, this is likely more fan frustration than player. All this could change tomorrow and I doubt it changes the fortunes of the team.

Agreed about Ehlers. He just doesn’t play the right way for Mo, it’s baffling. Limiting his ice time sure isn’t the answer though.

A bit of overreaction for sure. Ehlers got 15:26 yesterday. Not out of the ordinary for him, if you look at his game logs. Prior to that he was on a 3-game point streak, putting up 5 points and he logged 20:27 the night before.

It's possible to color this in two very different ways. One, you could theorize that he was moved in order to try to spark another line. Two, you could theorize was being demoted because the coach saw something he didn't like . Whichever one you choose will be influenced by the outcome on the score board. Chances are if that second Buffalo goal doesn't happen in the 3rd, and the Jets happen to bounce one in to win this game, no one would even mention Ehlers' 15:26 and the idea that he is being floated out to be traded.

I will grant however, that I was surprised to see Copp out there in the EN situation instead of him.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I’m frankly baffled that you can observe Maurice’s treatment of Ehlers and then come to the conclusion that those who point it out and question it are suffering from “blind” hatred. I’d suggest that those who continue to support him despite mountains of evidence pointing to him being mediocre are suffering from blind support.

Who generated more scoring chances? Harkins or Ehlers? That move worked. Top line got a goal. Unfortunately had 2 against, but our defense did us no favours. I think it is other decisions he made that were curious. Bitetto over Niku really stands out to me, as he acknowledged the Sabres defensive prowess. And seeing Krueger's system, that first pass is crucial. Also a defenseman who can skate can break some of the seams by forcing the box to move. I am not blind and effusive about Maurice, but I really think the Ehlers move was a good one. I was disappointed we didn't win the 2nd and 3rd line battles, but again that comes down to personnel and performance.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Was tied with Scheif in jets 5v5 point lead before today, so not just per minute production.

It's really bizarre that he keeps getting the short end of the stick after every not so great game by the team

Maurice's lineup decisions continue to be bizarre. Nothing new about that. He is here for the foreseeable future. We have to accept it because it isn't going to change.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Copp is just not a 2nd line center --he has no scoring hands, and limited playmaking ability. They will have to move Wheeler back to 2nd center, or play Roslo or Eakins in that position. Roslo would be ideal, be is so inconsistent.

The remainder of this season is the time to make Roslo the full time 2C. If he can't do it now, he will never be able to. Lets find out for certain. But if we are not going to do that then please, FFS, put that 2015 line back together.

Take the same line with Niku. Play him every game. Find out if he can play in the NHL or not.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I don't think you're entirely wrong, but if there's even a nugget of truth in your speculation it's both sad and terrifying for the future of this team.

I have no doubt that Ehlers is a slightly unconventional player but the fact remains that every person he plays with puts up better numbers with him than without him. Both in the classic sense and in advanced metrics. P60 is a stat that is, or at least should be, appreciated by even those who scoff at advanced stats and he's the best on the team in that metric by far. That makes me skeptical that Ehlers is difficult to play with. I think it’s more like his skills are in areas that Maurice considers unimportant. And that should scare the lot of us.

What makes it really scary is that Chevy endorses whatever the heck it is that Maurice is doing.

Reactions: Mbraunm

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
In a logical world, Ehlers would be the most untouchable (or second most untouchable after Laine) forward on this team.

Well not quite. Scheifele still has to be the most untouchable because he is our only top 6 C. But that still makes Ehlers 2nd.

Reactions: hn777

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think you have hit the nail on the head. He is the one skilled player that really hasn't conformed and simplified his offensive game. All of the other skilled players whether it be on defense or forward now play more of a simplified north/south game with limited risk at the offensive blue line. The other skilled players also play more of a cycle game (Even Laine) then Ehlers does.

I like Ehlers but he is likely the first high impact skilled player that gets moved out if it comes to that due to Maurice preferring different attributes.

You know that is bassackwards though, right? The coach should concentrate on making the best of the players he has, not try to conform them to fit his image. If it comes to a choice of moving the coach or moving the top players, it should always be the coach who moves.

Reactions: Mbraunm

White Out 902

I'm usually right.
Aug 17, 2017
Cape Breton Island
Maurice's lineup decisions continue to be bizarre. Nothing new about that. He is here for the foreseeable future. We have to accept it because it isn't going to change.

This is where I am right now. The contract he signed is still wet with the ink. He ain't going anywhere. The only way change happens is something truly awful, like us going on a massive losing streak that last into next season.

The Jets have decided that loyalty will eventually drive results. The least they can do while making us watch this carnage is do it in nice jerseys.

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
Who generated more scoring chances? Harkins or Ehlers? That move worked. Top line got a goal. Unfortunately had 2 against, but our defense did us no favours. I think it is other decisions he made that were curious. Bitetto over Niku really stands out to me, as he acknowledged the Sabres defensive prowess. And seeing Krueger's system, that first pass is crucial. Also a defenseman who can skate can break some of the seams by forcing the box to move. I am not blind and effusive about Maurice, but I really think the Ehlers move was a good one. I was disappointed we didn't win the 2nd and 3rd line battles, but again that comes down to personnel and performance.

I doubt anyone has issues with how Harkins preformed or even the fact he got a chance considering how good he has looked since coming up from the AHL. The problem is it was at the expense of Ehlers after less than 4 min of ice time where the goal against wasn't his fault. Nikky was a ppg player for the 10 games leading up to that which for anyone else on the team buys some patience from the coach. I believe posters have an issue with Nikky always being made the scapegoat by Paul and not so much this game specifically.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I love Ehlers, but he wasn't great today. Spent a lot of time hanging on the sideboards when the play was in front of the Buffalo net, got in there once and almost popped one in. Another rush we got a break when whoever the BUF goalie was played it right to Roslovic but Ehlers was standing 80 feet away on the sideboards at the dot instead of tracking the play and staying involved. He's not anywhere near the play or the net where he would have had an empty net tap in.

He does a lot of great things, but he's gotta get a little dirty and score some easy ones sometimes too. This can be said about pretty much our entire regular top 6 BTW aside from Connor.

Niku is basically a myth haha...the trap breaker! Guy has done nothing over now dozens of games over two seasons. Literally nothing! He's no better than any of the other fringe NHLers we have and probably worse in terms of the decisions he makes without the puck.

Is Ehlers our worst forward? Or our most disappointing one? The one most in need of a kick in the pants? Why is he the only one to get singled out? Why is he always the first to be demoted? It is bu**sh**.

Last edited:

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
The remainder of this season is the time to make Roslo the full time 2C. If he can't do it now, he will never be able to. Lets find out for certain. But if we are not going to do that then please, FFS, put that 2015 line back together.

Take the same line with Niku. Play him every game. Find out if he can play in the NHL or not.
Would be interesting to see Harkins at 2c.

Reactions: DashingDane

Do or Die

Jun 28, 2011
Roslo appears to be turning a corner.....let him run down the back stretch. Copp is a useful player, who can do a number of things.....but in our bottom 6.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad