Just Not Excited About 2016 / 2017

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I swear I'm not being contrarian. But I'm more excited for this year than I was last year.

It might be that I just care more about the D.

Murray-Jones
Werenski-Savard

Where's the drool emoji? :rolly: Okay, that's not the drool emoji, but it conveys my feeling at least slightly. :laugh:

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Not being pumped for the upcoming season's prospects about a team which finished 27th overall last season and has won 2 playoff games in its entire existence sounds just about right.

High expectations and unbridled enthusiasm would probably be indicative of a psychiatric issue.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
What is this, Bash the Capn Day?

Most people wouldn't guess it considering how ferociously Capn and I have gone at it before on several issues, but I really enjoy having him around. He's one of the most passionate hockey people I know, and even if I disagree 100% with what he says I at least can see how he could have arrived at a particular conclusion.

Yeah, he's always fun to talk to. Knows his stuff too, even if I disagree with him alot.

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
I swear I'm not being contrarian. But I'm more excited for this year than I was last year.

It might be that I just care more about the D.

Murray-Jones
Werenski-Savard

I'm not as excited as last year, but I share that sentiment. Jones and Murray each have 3 years of experience in the league, but are still young. Werenski will have some growing pains, but I will be surprised if he is not a quick learner. I doubt that he will make the same mistakes over and over. By mid-season, the back end of this squad should not routinely give up 4-5 goals per game.

For 15 years, this team has averaged 244 goals per season. That is almost exactly 3 per game. The last two years were 250 and 252 goals against (over 3 per game). I'm expecting something in the 205 to 220 range by end of season. That is 2.5 to 2.7 per game.

I'm just guessing that Torts will be preaching keeping the puck out of the net more than any other major theme (given the "blocked shot mantra" we hear about). There might be nights the team is goal starved and lose. But I'll be surprised if they lose those games regularly by 3+ goals.

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH
I've kind of piggybacked on my parent's season tickets the last couple years, just going to games for free when they didn't want to and when I was off work. Could maybe go about 15 times a year, which was good considering I live 2 hours away.

This year the free ride is over and I'm contributing to the expense of the tickets. But, I'm still not enthusiastic about this season. I expect a difficult struggle.

But, I love hockey too much to stop watching it or stop going to games. The team may suck, but I still enjoy using my days off work occasionally to drive and watch a hockey game.

I'd love for a surprise year and a playoff run, but i won't get my hopes up. I think I would be a little more enthusiastic had we drafted Puljujarvi and got to see him develop this year in the NHL.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
I no longer live in Columbus and haven't been to a game at NWA in years. YEARS.

I miss it so much.

Don't go to games if you don't want to, but please know that I would gladly take your place.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
I'm always excited about an upcoming season. These guys aren't robots or PS4 bits. Past results are never indicative of future results, IMO - good or bad.

The results were poor last season, but in no way do I look at the CBJ and feel that they're really the 27th best team in the league. I think they underperformed to their ability and never overcame the mental challenges from early in the season. If they can fix whatever's going on between their ears, I expect a much better result that more accurately fits the talent they've assembled.

I think they're neither as bad as last year or maybe as good as we thought last summer.

One thing's for sure, a camp under Torts, some experience and a infusion of young talent should help. I expect to be in the hunt for the playoffs.

JKinCLE

killing time @ work
Jul 10, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
I'm always excited about an upcoming season. These guys aren't robots or PS4 bits. Past results are never indicative of future results, IMO - good or bad.

The results were poor last season, but in no way do I look at the CBJ and feel that they're really the 27th best team in the league. I think they underperformed to their ability and never overcame the mental challenges from early in the season. If they can fix whatever's going on between their ears, I expect a much better result that more accurately fits the talent they've assembled.

I think they're neither as bad as last year or maybe as good as we thought last summer.

One thing's for sure, a camp under Torts, some experience and a infusion of young talent should help. I expect to be in the hunt for the playoffs.

I really don't think I could have expressed my own thoughts on the upcoming year any better than this. I am in 100% agreemenet.

lilfedor

Feb 16, 2016
Cleveland, OH
I've kind of piggybacked on my parent's season tickets the last couple years, just going to games for free when they didn't want to and when I was off work. Could maybe go about 15 times a year, which was good considering I live 2 hours away.

This year the free ride is over and I'm contributing to the expense of the tickets. But, I'm still not enthusiastic about this season. I expect a difficult struggle.

But, I love hockey too much to stop watching it or stop going to games. The team may suck, but I still enjoy using my days off work occasionally to drive and watch a hockey game.

I'd love for a surprise year and a playoff run, but i won't get my hopes up. I think I would be a little more enthusiastic had we drafted Puljujarvi and got to see him develop this year in the NHL.

Well then please, for the love of GOD let me sell you some of mine!

Also have USA v Canada :popcorn:

Sabo0290

Lost along the wing
Aug 28, 2015
Dayton
Well then please, for the love of GOD let me sell you some of mine!

Also have USA v Canada :popcorn:

I'll buy. Plus, since prices seemed to shoot up from one playoff run, maybe they will be a little less "proud" in ticket prices...

probably not though.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio

Where would we have finished if the first 8 games were wiped out for everybody?

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Where would we have finished if the first 8 games were wiped out for everybody?

Ahead of Montreal, for one. Still about 10 pts out of playoff position.

Possibly useless fact: The Jackets were at a good playoff pace in the first two months of the Jones era, and then fell apart towards the end.

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015

Possibly useless fact: The Jackets were at a good playoff pace in the first two months of the Jones era, and then fell apart towards the end.

You mean the post-Johansen era

:sarcasm:

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003

And that seems to be the M.O. with this organization over the years -- great in-season runs offset by bad in-season slumps.

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
I'm just about as excited as I always am at this point in the off-season. I think that the terrible start to last season sucked the wind out of the sails a little bit and made it seem like there were no positives, or no hope for the future.

What I am seeing is three good young options in goal for once. Bob needs to show that he can stay healthy, obviously, but he's not completely hopeless out there. But if he goes down again, we have two very good options ready to play immediately - Korpisalo looked as solid and poised as any goalie we've had, while Forsberg went on lockdown when the Monsters needed him most. I see three starting quality goalies as soon as this year if they 1) stay healthy (Bob) 2) stay on track (Korpi) 3) continue to improve (Fosberg). This may be a little optimistic, but it's solid depth at an important position, with insurance if 2 of them fail.

CBJ defense has never looked this good on paper, with young, improving, high profile players. This point last year most of us were thinking that Murray was incapable of playing half a season. Now that we have forgotten that, we've moved to thinking Johnson doesn't belong in the NHL. Two years ago Jack was possibly our best player in the playoff series and now we are disappointed that he's probably our #5.

At forward, it's a solid but unexciting group with a hole at the top in the middle. I'm probably more excited to see Bjorkstrand play than most, but I love the makeup of our top 9 wings.

I'm not all that worried about the presence of 4-5 rookies this year. These are guys that room is being made for because they have performed extremely well since being drafted.

I think the negativity is being beaten into our heads due to 1) the sense of not being able to overcome a terrible start, which made last season feel way too long and 2) lack of free agent signings makes it seem like next season will be a continuation of that and 3) 16 seasons without results.

I can't really remember an offseason like this. We are standing pat and going forward with a young, successful group of players that should bring a bit of swagger into camp - while cutting loose a couple of underperforming players that had been part of the core culture of the team for many years. It's been a boring offseason, sure, and we didn't draft who we all thought we would... but an injection of hungry young players is enough for me to be excited for training camp. Any sense of complacency with any of the veterans should be completely gone.

Sstroh84

May 28, 2015
Columbus, OH
There was a draft several years ago where the scouting staff all wanted a young kid named Kopitar, but all TV personalities and columnists believed Brule was the obvious choice and picking anyone else would be criticized.

A certain GM crumbled under the pressure and didn't have the balls to draft with his scouts over the pundits.

Well here we are, still remembering the terrible miss-steps of an old regime.

A similar situation comes up and the consensus is Puljujarvi at #3. Its basically a forgone conclusion to take the Finnish kid at 3. Jarmo did have the balls to draft with his scouting staff and takes a kid against the consensus. Many fans declare this a terrible decision cause all the trust in the front office is gone. Have we learned nothing?

Maybe it was the right decision, maybe it wasn't. Jarmo showed faith in his scouting staff and made the selection.

We should be praising Jarmo for trusting the staff he put together. Rather that than the GM ignoring all the time and energy the team pays these guys to travel the country/world scouting.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
The results were poor last season, but in no way do I look at the CBJ and feel that they're really the 27th best team in the league. I think they underperformed to their ability and never overcame the mental challenges from early in the season.

Hope springs eternal.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
There was a draft several years ago where the scouting staff all wanted a young kid named Kopitar, but all TV personalities and columnists believed Brule was the obvious choice and picking anyone else would be criticized.

A certain GM crumbled under the pressure and didn't have the balls to draft with his scouts over the pundits.

Ahhh yes the ol' Don Boyd: It Wasn't My Fault! Story.
Same scouts were responsible for plenty of bad picks -- Picard and Filatov are a pair that come to mind who were actually worse than Brule.

lilfedor

Feb 16, 2016
Cleveland, OH
I think the World Cup of Hockey will be a good insight to see how a chunk of the CBJ players are doing.

Having Sadd, Murray, and Jones with team North America, Jenner with Canada, Dubinsky and Johnson with USA, and Bobrovsky with Russia should show us how things are progressing.

I'm hoping that Johnson plays well enough that we could fill Edmontons needs for a D via trade and snag RNH.

I know a lot of people are just fine without Jenner moving to Center but I do think we're better with RNH and another blue liner getting extra minutes with Savard.

BluejacketNut

Sep 23, 2006
www.erazzphoto.com
I pretty much have no excitement right now. Passing on who 29 out of 30 teams would have taken has not set well with me. Im not convinced at all that JK is smarter then everyone else. This team has no elite players, possibly having 5 kids on the team will mean nothing but growing pains, the NHL is not a development league. So not gonna be able to talk you off the ledge, i gave up giving this franchise my money in 2012 after well over $30k for 1 playoff appearance in those 12 years. Seeing how good the teams are in the playoffs show how far off we are.

Sstroh84

May 28, 2015
Columbus, OH
Ahhh yes the ol' Don Boyd: It Wasn't My Fault! Story.
Same scouts were responsible for plenty of bad picks -- Picard and Filatov are a pair that come to mind who were actually worse than Brule.

Picard and Filatov were also consensus picks. The CBJ were not criticized for making those picks until both players busted big time.

Sstroh84

May 28, 2015
Columbus, OH
I pretty much have no excitement right now. Passing on who 29 out of 30 teams would have taken has not set well with me. Im not convinced at all that JK is smarter then everyone else. This team has no elite players, possibly having 5 kids on the team will mean nothing but growing pains, the NHL is not a development league. So not gonna be able to talk you off the ledge, i gave up giving this franchise my money in 2012 after well over $30k for 1 playoff appearance in those 12 years. Seeing how good the teams are in the playoffs show how far off we are.

The other 29 teams did not release their lists so there is no way of knowing that 29 teams would have taken Puljujarvi at #3. In fact, there has been more rumors to counter that saying quite a few didn't believe there was a true top 3 in this draft.

This team has some very good players and elite talent on the back end. Guys like Saad, Jenner, and Wennberg may not be elite, but they are All Star caliber players. The doom and gloom for this team is understandable due to the teams history, but seeing the negative in everything is depressing for a fan base.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad