Just Not Excited About 2016 / 2017

lilfedor

Feb 16, 2016
Cleveland, OH
I've been a CBJ season ticket holder for the past ten seasons and every year about this time I get itching for the start of the next season. Last year for whatever reason I was over hyped and could barely contain myself when Saad netted that go ahead goal over the Rangers. Truly thought in that moment we were bound for a playoff run.

This year...not so much.

I'm uncertain as if it's due to last years lack of success, the lack of moves in free agency, the terrifying start of the 2016/17 schedule, or just the general 'blah' feeling I'm getting from the franchise and fellow CBJ fans whom I frequent games with.

Living in Cleveland, and having a full season ticket package on the lower bowl red line, I'm already fearing my games go unsold and I can't get enough back to renew next season.

It's almost as if that cartoon stormy cloud has permanently fixed itself over Nationwide. Or, maybe it's just over me.

Can someone talk me off the cliff here? Shed a little positive influence my way?

Last edited:

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
"Everything but sailing is unnecessary. It includes the whole life: wave base, wave crest, the dark cloud cattle of storm but there is also lots of serene gentle."

Juha Vainio. Kaikki paitsi purjehdus on turhaa.

Skraut

Jul 31, 2006
Enter city here
Being a season ticket holder from Cleveland sucks. Especially after a season like last year. Those 2-2.5 hour rides home after a loss to question why you make that trip are the worst.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Jackets have one of 3 best list of prospects in the game and up to 5 of those players will be on the roster next year.

Bjorkstrand
Anderson
Dubois
Werenski
Kukan
Both of the goalies in Cleveland.

This is the first year where the future team REALLY comes together. If these rookies make the roster, the average age of the forwards will be 25 and the average age of the defense will be 23.

That can be scary. And exciting.

lilfedor

Feb 16, 2016
Cleveland, OH
Jackets have one of 3 best list of prospects in the game and up to 5 of those players will be on the roster next year.

Bjorkstrand
Anderson
Dubois
Werenski
Kukan
Both of the goalies in Cleveland.

This is the first year where the future team REALLY comes together. If these rookies make the roster, the average age of the forwards will be 25 and the average age of the defense will be 23.

That can be scary. And exciting.

Agreed. I was able to be in attendance for the Championship game and when the place erupted all I could think about was how Columbus deserves a similar fate. CBJ fans are incredibly passionate. I know myself have traveled to Buffalo, LA, Anaheim, Denver, and this year (FLA / TBL) to represent the fan base.

But I'm just not feeling it.

I was hoping, praying, for us to put together some package to bring over a Center or land a big name free agent to really spark the interest again and get the fanbase going.

But it would seem the general consensus of those I've spoken to are sitting on their hands praying that the Hockey Gods allow CBJ to build some team chemistry and get off to a great start and use that to propel themselves through the season.

lilfedor

Feb 16, 2016
Cleveland, OH
Being a season ticket holder from Cleveland sucks. Especially after a season like last year. Those 2-2.5 hour rides home after a loss to question why you make that trip are the worst.

It's not the greatest! I can absolutely tell you that.

In past season we've had quarter or half season 'partners' but this is the first year that the well has went dry apparently. I've literally gotten laughed at when asking if people would be interested in being a partner.

I never though having superb seats would be a downfall but...it is.

If anyone on this board reads this, and lives in the Columbus area and would like to help me out and buy a couple games I'd love you forever. Monday - Thursday games I sell quite cheap - just enough to break even on them!

Please? Someone?! lol

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
I may be in touch during the season about those tickets, lilfedor. I'll check back closer to Sept/Oct when I get work figured out and see what games you're selling.

I guess I have this feeling that the team has about a 1/10 chance to bounce back and surprise everyone with a WC run. Maybe Bob, with no more back to backs, can stay healthier and return to being a top 10 goalie. Hopefully Werenski is the PP QB we need. If Foligno can return to even 50 points and Wennberg improves his output 10-15%...?

I know full well the team likely finishes 26th. This is probably a "baptize 5-6 rookies" type of year, and then at the TDL and into next offseason, try to unload a few more contracts (barring trades, CMac, Campbell, and Goloubef come off the books). But who knows, no one predicted the finishes the team had in '13 and '14 and the same goes, the opposite way, for '15 and '16. So perhaps this team is just better when people are doubting them.

lilfedor

Feb 16, 2016
Cleveland, OH
I may be in touch during the season about those tickets, lilfedor. I'll check back closer to Sept/Oct when I get work figured out and see what games you're selling.

I guess I have this feeling that the team has about a 1/10 chance to bounce back and surprise everyone with a WC run. Maybe Bob, with no more back to backs, can stay healthier and return to being a top 10 goalie. Hopefully Werenski is the PP QB we need. If Foligno can return to even 50 points and Wennberg improves his output 10-15%...?

I know full well the team likely finishes 26th. This is probably a "baptize 5-6 rookies" type of year, and then at the TDL and into next offseason, try to unload a few more contracts (barring trades, CMac, Campbell, and Goloubef come off the books). But who knows, no one predicted the finishes the team had in '13 and '14 and the same goes, the opposite way, for '15 and '16. So perhaps this team is just better when people are doubting them.

Great to hear someone willing to help me out :)

Here is how I do my pricing.

Section 115 - Row V - Seats 3/4 (two two seats off Red-line Aisle) - my seats are on 'aviewfrommyseat' if you'd like to see a photo.

$210 for one game
$200 for three games
$195 for five or more + free preseason

Let me know what games you want sooner than later and I'll set them aside for you. The 'deal' that I tend to offer people is if you buy 5 games at 195 per game I'll give you a pre-season game for free.

Someone just took this last week.

I do still have some quality games available in each month.
Nov - Stars, Ducks, Avalanche, Lightning
Dec - Kings, Canadians, Bruins
Jan - Oilers, Hurricanes x 2, Senators
Feb - Devils, Canucks, Rangers, Leafs, Islanders
March - Wild, Devils, Sabres, Panthers, Lefs,
April - Jets

Last edited:

JKinCLE

killing time @ work
Jul 10, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Man, I don't know how you do a full season coming from Cleveland. I've gone from Quarter season, down to a 6 game plan to nothing this year. Those games in Feb, March and April are super hard to get up for when out of a playoff race. Not to mention the plummeting of the value of the tickets that you've already paid for.

I love this team as much as the rest of us here, but those like me who don't have a ton of disposable income just have to face the facts that season tickets are a poor investment given where the team is currently at.

Your best bet, sad but true, is to sell the premium games at a profit to hawk/pens/wings fans to cover some of your losses. Don't crucify me for saying that!

Personally, I'm switching my plan over to the Monsters. I don't expect another magical Calder run, but it just makes too much sense for me personally given that I have free parking at my office and can walk to the Q after work. I'll still make 5 or so Jacket games throughout the year, but not locked in at full price.

Last edited:

lilfedor

Feb 16, 2016
Cleveland, OH
Man, I don't know how you do a full season coming from Cleveland. I've gone from Quarter season, down to a 6 game plan to nothing this year. Those games in Feb, March and April are super hard to get up for when out of a playoff race. Not to mention the plummeting of the value of the tickets that you've already paid for.

I love this team as much as the rest of us here, but those like me who don't have a ton of disposable income just have to face the facts that season tickets are a poor investment given where the team is currently at.

Your best bet, sad but true, is to sell the premium games at a profit to hawk/pens/wings fans to cover some of your losses. Don't crucify me for saying that!

That's a no brainer. However, even the Penguins and Red Wings games barely draw interest. The Hawks - absolutely. That was game last year that got me in the green. A whole $11!

If you're interested in going to ANY games this year please reach out to me first. Even if it's just one game it would be a HUGE help.

**With 4K coming sooner than later I likely will forego my season tickets, by a new TV and enjoy the games from my own home starting 2017-2018.

****Unless of course, I find a partner again

JacketFanInFL

Brick by Brick
Mar 27, 2006
Central FL
The only way you can voice your dissatisfaction is to vote with your wallet.
The meetings, letters, and speeches are all nothing but sales pitches to keep or expand the customer base. To me, blowing money for several years only to say I was "loyal" or "there from the start" seems like a total waste.

I think a lot of CBJ fans feel like if they abandon the team, they will leave the city. While there is risk in that, I can't financially support anyone continually fails miserably with no sign of improvement coming.

I don't criticize anyone that will keep paying, for most it's a good night out with the family.

JKinCLE

killing time @ work
Jul 10, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
That's a no brainer. However, even the Penguins and Red Wings games barely draw interest. The Hawks - absolutely. That was game last year that got me in the green. A whole $11!

If you're interested in going to ANY games this year please reach out to me first. Even if it's just one game it would be a HUGE help.

**With 4K coming sooner than later I likely will forego my season tickets, by a new TV and enjoy the games from my own home starting 2017-2018.

****Unless of course, I find a partner again

You know the Pens will this year... and it will be awful. :laugh:

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Agreed. I was able to be in attendance for the Championship game and when the place erupted all I could think about was how Columbus deserves a similar fate. CBJ fans are incredibly passionate. I know myself have traveled to Buffalo, LA, Anaheim, Denver, and this year (FLA / TBL) to represent the fan base.

But I'm just not feeling it.

I was hoping, praying, for us to put together some package to bring over a Center or land a big name free agent to really spark the interest again and get the fanbase going.

But it would seem the general consensus of those I've spoken to are sitting on their hands praying that the Hockey Gods allow CBJ to build some team chemistry and get off to a great start and use that to propel themselves through the season.

Free agency does not a good team make. That'll put you over the top if you're already good. It means nothing to us. Besides we've got more talent coming out of Lake Erie than there was in the free agency pool. I don't know how you could get more excited about Ladd and Backes et. co. than Bjorkstrand and Werenski.

I know we've seen some good youth arrive before. Nash and Zherdev were exciting, but two forwards can only do so much by themselves. I remember the excitement when Voracek and Brassard came up. But it was also a thin wave (I didn't scrutinize this at the time). There was a good group of young pros who joined the club around 2012, but it was known then, as we know it now, that it was just a nice collection of second line second-pair types. This group of young players today is objectively different. Every single one of these 23 and under guys (keep in mind that prime starts at 24) is top line / top pair or has that upside:

Saad - Wennberg - Jenner
Murray - Jones

Every year that goes by, they get closer and closer to that upside. And now they are joined by Werenski, Bjorkstrand, and maybe Dubois, who also have that upside.

And most importantly, we've got them at every position. No more of this - let's let our breakthrough forwards score the goals while Tyutin and Johnson take care of the D. The three most talented D-men the franchise has ever had will be on the roster this fall. Columbus fans have been dazed and confused - they think they need to go get one of those goal scorers those other better teams have. But now they're about to see what having an actual first pair D is like, for the first time.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
The only way you can voice your dissatisfaction is to vote with your wallet.

Didn't that stupid FANS rally take credit for this new regime? (at least until they showed they may not be a whole lot more competent than the last regime)

lilfedor

Feb 16, 2016
Cleveland, OH
Free agency does not a good team make. That'll put you over the top if you're already good. It means nothing to us. Besides we've got more talent coming out of Lake Erie than there was in the free agency pool. I don't know how you could get more excited about Ladd and Backes et. co. than Bjorkstrand and Werenski.

I know we've seen some good youth arrive before. Nash and Zherdev were exciting, but two forwards can only do so much by themselves. I remember the excitement when Voracek and Brassard came up. But it was also a thin wave (I didn't scrutinize this at the time). There was a good group of young pros who joined the club around 2012, but it was known then, as we know it now, that it was just a nice collection of second line second-pair types. This group of young players today is objectively different. Every single one of these 23 and under guys (keep in mind that prime starts at 24) is top line / top pair or has that upside:

Saad - Wennberg - Jenner
Murray - Jones

Every year that goes by, they get closer and closer to that upside. And now they are joined by Werenski, Bjorkstrand, and maybe Dubois, who also have that upside.

And most importantly, we've got them at every position. No more of this - let's let our breakthrough forwards score the goals while Tyutin and Johnson take care of the D. The three most talented D-men the franchise has ever had will be on the roster this fall. Columbus fans have been dazed and confused - they think they need to go get one of those goal scorers those other better teams have. But now they're about to see what having an actual first pair D is like, for the first time.

I agree with everything you said.

Listen, If we can get through the first 20 games with 20 points I'd be off the wall happy. SIXTEEN of our first TWENTY games are against playoff teams! But I just feel that the way the schedule is set, playing against the mighty West TWICE along with numerous other playoff teams were just in a tough spot for another slow start followed by more and more fans begging for :help:

Until then I'll hope to find a couple people to lift my spirits and prevent myself from :cry: myself to sleep every night!

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Didn't that stupid FANS rally take credit for this new regime? (at least until they showed they may not be a whole lot more competent than the last regime)
They took credit for everything from the regime change to the county purchase of the arena.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Hey we're going to be good next year, and this time we mean it!

Bottom line team was horrible last year and had no excuses like in prior years.
We have limited cap room so there will not be any significant free agents.
I still expect a trade to happen but no idea how it will work (will we try to move a salary or we will try to add a C via trade and use up remaining cap room).

We'll likely not be good next year, unless a goalie catches fire for a long part of the season. We just have to hope that the young talent progresses. Too many times we've seen the young guys start regressing. No idea if it's the lack of culture (country club, etc), tired of losing or what.

Credit to you for having season tickets. I wouldn't do it from that far. Hard enough for me to have them for 15 years when I was a 5 minute walk from stadium, much less next season when it will be a drive from the Burbs. I had guys early on buying half seasons from me. Up until 2 seasons ago had a guy and his dad buying 12 games. Now I'm in same boat but I enjoy the games. But I likely couldn't do a 4-5 hour round trip to most of them.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Much like every year, I'm excited for the following season. I want to see the kids grow.

Having said that, I'm not concerned about the kids - it's other roster players and the collective team as a whole.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Well as long as peddling tickets is acceptable in this thread, I have season tickets in Section 120, Row C, seats 5 & 6 directly behind the goalie. So the seats are really great. The team ........ well let's hope for the better.
But if anyone is interested in my seats for certain games, let me know.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad