Just Not Excited About 2016 / 2017

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
Can someone talk me off the cliff here? Shed a little positive influence my way?

Okay....try this.

1. In a perfect world, a team would draft and develop their own talent and NEVER sign a free agent. Now...CBJ far from perfect, but I see the recent buyouts to create some $$$ room, yes, but more a spot for the young talent that has been developed. Staying away from "silly season" was a nece$$ity this year, but I hope they do it every year.

2. Last year everybody was planning the playoff parade in September. I only heard one national commentator say "wait....let's just tap the brakes" (Jim "Boomer" Gordon - Sirius NHL network). The majority were wrong - CBJ were awful. This year, a mention of CBJ draws laughter from commentators. Are they wrong? Well, they were last year.

3. The Anaheim Ducks started awful last year. I think they were 30th about December 1st (from memory). But they win their division. It took them a while to come together. Given the youth of Murray, Jones and Werenski, I think those guys will take a while to gel. Will it be December 1st? Maybe. But by February 1st, I would expect them to be very solid defensively.

4. If Bob sucks/injured again this year, I think the CBJ have two very good known quantities available that were in Cleveland last year. McElhenny? Who knows. The goal tending HAS to be better than last year. That might be Bob, or two other guys.

5. I know what everybody says about Coach Torts. But the guy is not stupid. One year in Vancouver didn't rob him of all hockey smarts. Give him a full camp. Let him see if he can have a conditioned team when they start. Give him several weeks to install his system. Plus, he came in and was forced to work with associate coaches already in place. Now he got to choose one this summer. Give that some time to see what they can do.

Now....here is my one big fear. This franchise almost seems CURSED in October. The schedule maker has set it up for many of us to be passing out our seat tickets as a TRICK when the Gobblins and Ghouls ring the doorbell. But just imagine that the team is competitive when we get to Thanksgiving or Christmas. Everybody is starting to feel good about the team and the games are fun. Then we get to March and the CBJ decide to go into October mode. It is one thing to have an October in October. But if the CBJ decide to have their October in March, it will hurt 10x worse than having October in October. Every team has a spell during the season. This franchise usually has theirs VERY early.

This team is going to be young. I'm wondering how many rookies are too many. 3 rookies seem about right or maybe a wee bit too many. 4 seems like too many. 5 seems like several old sofas soaked in gasoline just waiting for some homeless person to drop their smoke.

Hope I helped.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Been on this sucky-go-round far too many times in 16 years to make an impassioned plea for hope. My die hard days died a very hard death in the 2009-2010 season. Downgraded to fairly fairweather since then. The 2012-2015 period slowly, gradually pulled me back, though never quite to my previous levels of fandom. Entered last season bursting with hope, but was throwing up double birds toward Nationwide Arena after 8 games and that was about that.

Nothing this organization does seems to work. Ever.

Yet, I’m sitting here and I do have a little hope. A shred. I hope it grows, but I need to see a lot more to truly feel good about any of this.
It’s faith that I’m truly lacking.

This is no help at all.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
This team is going to be young. I'm wondering how many rookies are too many. 3 rookies seem about right or maybe a wee bit too many. 4 seems like too many. 5 seems like several old sofas soaked in gasoline just waiting for some homeless person to drop their smoke.

I enjoyed the entire post. Spot on.

Here is my issue is Torts the right guy for such a young team? There are often theories that there are coaches that coach (think like a Dave King) and take you so far. Then there are the guys you bring in to get the most out of your team - I tend to see Torts in that class but I could be wrong.

But in my mind I wonder if Torts is the right guy with all this youth?

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
I enjoyed the entire post. Spot on.

Here is my issue is Torts the right guy for such a young team? There are often theories that there are coaches that coach (think like a Dave King) and take you so far. Then there are the guys you bring in to get the most out of your team - I tend to see Torts in that class but I could be wrong.

That's my major concern as well. Didn't like the hire last fall (AND it cost a 2nd round pick). Remain skeptical given what the roster is going to look like.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
... the awarding of the All-Start Game too, I believe.

I knew there was a big one I was forgetting. :laugh: :shakehead

My own faith issues are a continued lack of faith in Kekalainen's ability to bounce back from bad situations, and a lack of faith in Tortorella in general (he hasn't yet been the disaster I predicted, but I'm still worried). I desperately want to be proven wrong on both, but...

Light the Lamp

Apr 21, 2015
I'm excited for this year. Philadelphia Flyers made the playoffs last year.

CBJ does not lack talent, they lack mental fortitude (always have). I think Torts can instill this toughness in the group.

In a matter of 12 months, the CBJ now have 4 solid defencemen (Jones, Murray, Werenski and Savard), with Jack suddenly at the 3rd pair instead of the first.

The offense is lacking #1 center, but they didn't have one last year either. Slowey was not 100% engaged and was coasting around the ice. Saad, Jenner, Cam, Hartsy, Ollie will have to put pucks in the net, with Foligno, Dubi, et al providing support.

Last edited:

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
In a matter of 12 months, the CBJ now have 4 solid defencemen (Jones, Murray, Werenski and Savard), with Jack suddenly at the 3rd pair instead of the first.

And we need a G, regardless of who, to keep the puck OUT of the net on a consistent basis. As in: no 2 minute meltdown on home opening night vs NYR. No rinse, spin repeat for the following 7 games (or longer until Bob got is skates under him).

I love Bob... I did not love his play at the beginning of last year.

Light the Lamp

Apr 21, 2015
And we need a G, regardless of who, to keep the puck OUT of the net on a consistent basis. As in: no 2 minute meltdown on home opening night vs NYR. No rinse, spin repeat for the following 7 games (or longer until Bob got is skates under him).

I love Bob... I did not love his play at the beginning of last year.

says EVERY team in the NHL. All goalies are critical to their teams success. We all know Bob has the ability. He just needs to do it.

this year's slogan is: "Prove It"

lilfedor

Feb 16, 2016
Cleveland, OH
'Give Us Some Time'

:laugh:

I thought it was hilarious that the video they played before games had Foligno saying "This city has been good to Hockey. Now it's time Hockey is good to Columbus."

And....we start 0-8, get the coach fired, and have fans from the years prior throwing themselves into oncoming traffic.

Okay, maybe not that last part but...I wouldn't put it past anyone... :sarcasm:

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015

Very valid question. ...and you are within your right to not like the signing and the cost of a 2nd round pick. ...and to an extent I'm with you.

But I ask you this question....you are JK and your consensus playoff team has started 0-7 and it is your head coach's birthday. What do you do?

Al Arbour is dead. Scotty Bowman is not going back behind the bench. If you do nothing you will be lucky to sell 10 beers at the next couple games. What do you do?

You can not like it. But the reality is that Jarmo and JD's hands were tied.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I feel you OP. I always get excited for the new season, and I am sure I will be once that time comes..But at this point last year I was downright giddy to get it underway.

Now? I just don't feel like it. The team isn't very good. I think management knows that, but they can't outright say it for obvious reasons, and I think if they weren't so strapped with NMC/NTC this team would look dramatically different.

I guess I'm excited to see a full season of Werenski and Bjorkstrand. It's always cool seeing new faces. I love the way Saad, Dubinsky, Wennberg, Jenner, etc play.

I guess I still have reservations about our draft as well. I was very excited to watch Puljujarvi take over games for us, or at least show the potential to. Dubois is a fine player, but we won't see him until next year in all likelihood (if even that.) It just feels like we've been stuck in the same spot. One small step forward is always followed by two giant steps backward with this team. The only positive about picking high usually is seeing the guy you pick right away, that's just not the case this time around. (Yes, I know Strome and many other 3rd overall picks haven't made it in their first year either. But I know Puljujarvi will.)

Whatever, I guess. I'll be at plenty of games this year and will watch all of them I don't go to on TV like every year. I gave up my STH because college isn't cheap and I need to pay for more important things. One day I want to return to being a STHer, but they have to earn it again.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Whatever happened to Cap'n Cornelius? Wasn't he their ringleader (or at least made himself out to be)?

He's on twitter. Says work gets in the way of coming on here now. But if he can be on twitter I don't know why he isn't on here. He and I go through many battles and debates on twitter. Always fun to talk to.

SavesEmNot

Jul 2, 2012
I guess I have this feeling that the team has about a 1/10 chance to bounce back and surprise everyone with a WC run. Maybe Bob, with no more back to backs, can stay healthier and return to being a top 10 goalie. Hopefully Werenski is the PP QB we need. If Foligno can return to even 50 points and Wennberg improves his output 10-15%...?
:amazed:

I reeeeeeaaaaaaaaally hope it's more than that.

I was very excited to watch Puljujarvi take over games for us, or at least show the potential to.
This is why I don't get excited about a draftee, or any player, until we officially acquire them. Plus, I had some doubt that we were going to get Puljujarvi.

Last edited:

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I am also less excited than I have been in past seasons. It's more become a resignation of "another wasted season, more wasted money."

This season might be one of redemption, but they're a bunch of overpaid losers until they show otherwise.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
:amazed:

I reeeeeeaaaaaaaaally hope it's more than that.

It should be. He had 39 of his 40 pts in his last 54 games. That's a 60 pt pace. Expecting him to only gain ~5 pts on last year is too modest. I think 55-ish points is a reasonable expectation.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Send him back to the Screaming Eagles for his own development and the good of the team. Too many good young players have been ruined by playing to early, the pressure of the NHL.. too much money, to much time.

I am going to hold the poster accountable that said Dubois has the mentality and personality to play a game, and then go home and watch an episode of "Game of Thrones".

I think PLD was picked because he has maturity and character.. lets not break the kids psyche by pushing him to fast

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
What is this, Bash the Capn Day?

He's on twitter. Says work gets in the way of coming on here now. But if he can be on twitter I don't know why he isn't on here. He and I go through many battles and debates on twitter. Always fun to talk to.

Most people wouldn't guess it considering how ferociously Capn and I have gone at it before on several issues, but I really enjoy having him around. He's one of the most passionate hockey people I know, and even if I disagree 100% with what he says I at least can see how he could have arrived at a particular conclusion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad