Player Discussion jussi jokinen thread: just jokinen

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Yes. Absolutely. He's a completely finished piece of junk who will be in Europe next year and has a 0% chance of ever doing anything meaningful for the organization. He's only here because Columbus wanted rid of him and forced us to take his contract.

He should have been immediately waived and sent to Utica to help out there. And literally *anybody* who has even a remote chance of playing here next year - even a Boucher or a Chaput - should be getting this game time right now. Like, I'm no huge fan of Nick Dowd, but he's a guy who a decision has to be made on for next year and we should get as much free information on as possible. Why is he being scratched for a guy like Jokinen?

There is ZERO excuse for anything else happening and this speaks - yet again - to the total lack of any sort of plan with this organization.
Well haha buddy! Today they played Jokinen and Dowd! So there! Shows you what you know!

:sarcasm:

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
940 NHL games, shows up as an unwanted throw in, gets 2 goals in his first 3 games and gets nothing but abuse from his new team's "fans". If you ask me the guy is showing our youngsters how to be a consummate professional while doing whatever he can to contribute. I like that.
Good post.

It's probably kinda nice for Travis Green when he has to answer for not playing Boucher Motte Goldobin Hutton and whoever when he can just point to the fact that their being outplayed by a guy about to be retired from the league.

This play the kids thing is ridiculous. It's the f***ing NHL not a development league if players don't want to work hard enough off the puck that haven't proved anything in this league honestly what good are they and it's not gonna be suddenly easier later on.

Goldobin for instance has played 24 games and about half of them have been completely lackluster efforts eliminating his 20-30 seconds of puck control where even then he makes high risk stupid plays far too often. You can bet your ass that TG would love it if Nik Goldobin plays good enough to be along side Horvat instead of Sam Gagner but lets be real here he hasn't worked nearly hard enough on the ice to deserve it.

I'm always impressed when i watch other teams play the Canucks how hard their top players compete........to start winning ours will need to....pitter patter kids

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
940 NHL games, shows up as an unwanted throw in, gets 2 goals in his first 3 games and gets nothing but abuse from his new team's "fans". If you ask me the guy is showing our youngsters how to be a consummate professional while doing whatever he can to contribute. I like that.
If he is needed for that then we should dump the Sedins, Sutter, Gagner, Edler, Tanev and Gudbranson cause obviously they aren't filling that role in a cellar dwelling team.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Always fun watching washed up veterans take up ice time over young players in meaningless seasons like this.
If Coaches cared about the entertainment value of games they would never play the trap.

I doubt Travis Green sees any games as meaningless.

If this was 1-2-3 Willie i woud probably be on board with this frustration but listening to Travis talk about his process has me in complete support of what he's trying to do. Goldobin for instance has been given plush top line assignments and PP time same as Boucher and all they have done to date is come up short and end up sitting.

I'm a fan of Hutton and happen to be one of the few that actually think he still has top4 upside. The tough love he's getting right now is evident of Baumer and Green trying to make him or break him of the habits and lackluster play within his game. He needs to be good enough to win with.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Nobody cares how well he plays.

The guy is 35 years old, is finished, and will be playing his last NHL game in about a month.

I'm sure he's a nice guy and a professional and he hasn't been awful. That's not the point and this isn't about him.

When your team is 20 points out of a playoff spot with 15 games left in a season, a player like this shouldn't be getting top-unit PP time with the Sedins. It's absurd. And speaks to the total lack of process and total lack of any sort of a plan here right now.

The ONLY priority with this team right now should be on putting any/every player who has a chance on being on this team next season into positions to succeed so we can get the best gauge possible on what we have in them.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Good post.

It's probably kinda nice for Travis Green when he has to answer for not playing Boucher Motte Goldobin Hutton and whoever when he can just point to the fact that their being outplayed by a guy about to be retired from the league.

This play the kids thing is ridiculous. It's the ****ing NHL not a development league if players don't want to work hard enough off the puck that haven't proved anything in this league honestly what good are they and it's not gonna be suddenly easier later on.

Goldobin for instance has played 24 games and about half of them have been completely lackluster efforts eliminating his 20-30 seconds of puck control where even then he makes high risk stupid plays far too often. You can bet your ass that TG would love it if Nik Goldobin plays good enough to be along side Horvat instead of Sam Gagner but lets be real here he hasn't worked nearly hard enough on the ice to deserve it.

I'm always impressed when i watch other teams play the Canucks how hard their top players compete........to start winning ours will need to....pitter patter kids

For the Canucks right now, it is a development league.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
making goldobin sit after he plays terrible defence again is part of his development. if they have to dress the zamboni guy to get his attention i am all for it.

so assuming jokinen plays the vanek slot the rest of the season, i have no particular beef with that. we currently have no prospects kicking down the door to get in the line up.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
We still have no clue if Goldobin can be an everyday NHLer and the clock is running out on him. The priority needs to be to see what he is capable of. He’s not a an 18 kid fresh out of junior.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
We still have no clue if Goldobin can be an everyday NHLer and the clock is running out on him. The priority needs to be to see what he is capable of. He’s not a an 18 kid fresh out of junior.

it seems to me that so long as he keeps doing the things keeping him from being an everyday nhl player, we should not play him every day. and vice versa.

Reactions: Nomobo

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
If this was 1-2-3 Willie i woud probably be on board with this frustration but listening to Travis talk about his process has me in complete support of what he's trying to do.

Remind me again how many times a Willie coached team gave up FIVE PP goals against in a game. The Willie hate is like the gift that keeps on giving; not a day goes by without some negative reference to him. You would think he ruined the team single handedly...

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
The kids we have are AHLers though. Whaddya gonna do.

And Jokinen isn’t? Only reason he is in the NHL is because of team sucks.

I’d rather watch a 20 something kid over a 30 something washed up, waiver wire player any day.

Boucher should be in Jokinen’s spot, whether you think highly of Boucher or not, he can help us a hell of a lot more in the future than Jokinen could.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I don’t disagree you have lackluster play from kids and if it was game 10 I agree you go with the vet putting forth effort and playing better.

At this point I think you do play the likes of Goldobin, not because I feel he has a lot to offer but you have to truly see what you have moving forward. Now if that decision has already been made then fair enough I guess.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
making goldobin sit after he plays terrible defence again is part of his development. if they have to dress the zamboni guy to get his attention i am all for it.

so assuming jokinen plays the vanek slot the rest of the season, i have no particular beef with that. we currently have no prospects kicking down the door to get in the line up.

Why are the benchings only limited to Goldobin? That part is funny to me, after I look at this roster.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
And Jokinen isn’t? Only reason he is in the NHL is because of team sucks.

I’d rather watch a 20 something kid over a 30 something washed up, waiver wire player any day.

Boucher should be in Jokinen’s spot, whether you think highly of Boucher or not, he can help us a hell of a lot more in the future than Jokinen could.

I wouldn't count on it. If Jussi goes on a little hot streak to close out the season it'll probably be more than Boucher ever accomplishes. Jussi ain't no tweener.

Reactions: Nomobo

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I wouldn't count on it. If Jussi goes on a little hot streak to close out the season it'll probably be more than Boucher ever accomplishes. Jussi ain't no tweener.

Honestly, not even sure if you're being serious bu this goes out to anyone who thinks playing Jokinen is beyond a good idea over what we have in the system. The year, right now a we currently sit in, is 2018 - it's not 2012 anymore. Jokinen is not good, he is literally the definition of a waiver fodder player, let alone the compliment of a tweener. The Canucks is his fourth NHL team this season, and you're going to tell me Jussi Jokinen, after now on his 4th team in one year (!) is a tweener? Amazing stuff, really.

Oh, and Boucher has 2 goals in 10 games this year, while Jokinen has 3 goals in 49 games. Amazing production from that tweener, I'd say.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Honestly, not even sure if you're being serious bu this goes out to anyone who thinks playing Jokinen is beyond a good idea over what we have in the system. The year, right now a we currently sit in, is 2018 - it's not 2012 anymore. Jokinen is not good, he is literally the definition of a waiver fodder player, let alone the compliment of a tweener. The Canucks is his fourth NHL team this season, and you're going to tell me Jussi Jokinen, after now on his 4th team in one year (!) is a tweener? Amazing stuff, really.

Oh, and Boucher has 2 goals in 10 games this year, while Jokinen has 3 goals in 49 games. Amazing production from that tweener, I'd say.
Haha, guilty as charged. I'm not being completely serious about my Jokinen thing. I just find it mildly amusing that he's kind of caught fire in a small way against all odds. I am serious about all of these bargain basement age gap fillers Jimbo has a nose for though. They have no real future here.

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
Guys lay off one of Bennings best acquisitions.
Jokinnen???????????
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHAHAH.....GASP......HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad