Player Discussion jussi jokinen thread: just jokinen

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I can't remember another Canuck whose tenure with the team (and NHL career) was so obviously over before he even played a shift here.

Should be in Utica and not taking icetime away from players that actually might be here next year.

Reinprecht?

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
People actually anticipated that Jokinen was a throw-in? Benning doesn't work that way. He probably targeted Jokinen.

Columbus was close to its 50 contract limit and required the Canucks to take Jokinen to offload a contract. The whole TDL episode is bad enough without inventing gloomier scenarios.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Columbus was close to its 50 contract limit and required the Canucks to take Jokinen to offload a contract. The whole TDL episode is bad enough without inventing gloomier scenarios.

Except they weren't adding on additional contracts trading Motte for Vanek straight up. If the deal were a 3rd round pick and Jokinen for Vanek then what you say would make sense, but it doesn't.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007

Starting to think jokinen wasnt a throw-in like we anticipated.

i actually dgas, i mean why not throw the sedins someone they might pad stats with?

it’s like when you bring a couple of girls with younto a buddy’s bday party. worth a shot and if it doesn’t work nobody lost anything.

i mean, oh no competition for gagner, granny, baertschi. blocking some real go getters there.

goldy, well he was going to fall out of the lineup anyway. sunk cost with this coaching staff/admin.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
i actually dgas, i mean why not throw the sedins someone they might pad stats with?

it’s like when you bring a couple of girls with younto a buddy’s bday party. worth a shot and if it doesn’t work nobody lost anything.

i mean, oh no competition for gagner, granny, baertschi. blocking some real go getters there.

goldy, well he was going to fall out of the lineup anyway. sunk cost with this coaching staff/admin.

You’re reasoning literally makes no sense. It’s not worth throwing a 22 year old with the Sedins but it’s worth throwing a 34 year old who has been on waivers how many times this year and how many teams?

At what point did you think this was a good post?

This is a f***ing disgrace. Rebuild my ass.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
You’re reasoning literally makes no sense. It’s not worth throwing a 22 year old with the Sedins but it’s worth throwing a 34 year old who has been on waivers how many times this year and how many teams?

At what point did you think this was a good post?

This is a ****ing disgrace. Rebuild my ass.

you misunderstand me completely, bud. i would love for them to play goldobin. of course, it is objectively the only reasonable thing to do. sit gagner, sit baertschi, hell sit boeser and let him heal properly.

but this coaching staff and this management group isn't going to do that. goldobin was always going to be the first one to sit, before gagner, before granlund, before archibald, before leipzig and motte, even before the other guy who we need to be feeding minutes to, virtanen.

so with the opportunity for goldobin already off the table, why not jokinen? i mean, wgas?

Reactions: PG Canuck

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
you misunderstand me completely, bud. i would love for them to play goldobin. of course, it is objectively the only reasonable thing to do. sit gagner, sit baertschi, hell sit boeser and let him heal properly.

but this coaching staff and this management group isn't going to do that. goldobin was always going to be the first one to sit, before gagner, before granlund, before archibald, before leipzig and motte, even before the other guy who we need to be feeding minutes to, virtanen.

so with the opportunity for goldobin already off the table, why not jokinen? i mean, wgas?

Yeah I misunderstood you and thought you were advocating this was a good move - my fault and apologies.

Agreed - I don’t get this hate for Goldobin and honestly shocked it’s happening since Benning needs these young players he’s acquired to look good.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
1. I wouldn't freak out much about practice. We will see what happens in the game.
2. I mean, whatever, let all the old guys play on the same line. The important line is Boeser/Horvat
3. The writing has been on the wall for Goldobin since the season started.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
1. I wouldn't freak out much about practice. We will see what happens in the game.
2. I mean, whatever, let all the old guys play on the same line. The important line is Boeser/Horvat
3. The writing has been on the wall for Goldobin since the season started.

i actually think green is still working with goldobin and this is part of it. pretty sure goldobin has not figured out what will happen next year if he does not establish himself a but more this season.

member 290103

I'm starting to suspect we already know what we have in Goldobin. Not that putting Jokinen with the Sedins isn't brick wall stupid, but still.

Benning gotta Benning.

Yes, I do agree. Goldobin just does not appear like he will amount to anything. Guess that's why the Sharks moved him. Benning should maybe figure out that most of these teams that are willing to move their younger players have pretty much figured out that they are going to bust - or else they would not move them.

Picks, Jim. Get picks. Not has been reclamation projects.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Agreed - I don’t get this hate for Goldobin and honestly shocked it’s happening since Benning needs these young players he’s acquired to look good.
With Goldobin as the exception, pretty much every player Benning has acquired has immediately been inserted into the lineup and given decent ice-time, so I actually did and do expect Jokinen to play.

It does seem weird that whatever implied or express directive there has been on the coaches hasn't applied to Goldobin, though.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
We need to find out what we have in Jussi. He could be a key part of this team going forward and we need to make decisions on what terms and conditions for next contract. I encourage fans to calm down and give him a chance, a decent chance, it can take some of these guys two or three years to find their feet, so can we take a chill pill and come back and reevaluate in 2022. mmm ok?

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
With Goldobin as the exception, pretty much every player Benning has acquired has immediately been inserted into the lineup and given decent ice-time, so I actually did and do expect Jokinen to play.

It does seem weird that whatever implied or express directive there has been on the coaches hasn't applied to Goldobin, though.

It doesn't apply to Russians, apparently. Tryamkin was jerked around in a similar fahion and Burmistrov to a lesser extent although he wasn't very good (but not worse than Sam Gagner really.)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad