Juraj Slafkovsky - Year Two

Where would you prefer Slaf spend his 23-24 season?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Im the first to admit I wanted Wright then Nemec.. though I was never anti-slaf, the last time i was in this position (totally wrong) was when the habs picked Carey #5 ahead of my guy: the infamous Mr. Gilbert Brulé... yeah I even liked Anze Kopitar at #7, but not #5... lol

No shame in preferring Nemec and Wright, i did too, there's no way for us to know Wright is a complete nutsack (I think) without interviews and what not, I did raise the possibility in January 2022 but evidently, cannot go against talent. It is still very much in the air on who's going to be better out of the 10ish top players in 2022. Funny thing though is I thought Slaf had the highest ceiling, not so sure this is true anymore, but I do think he had the highest floor all along.

People need to chill tho, he's shooting at 23% since mid december, that's gonna go down quick.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
When he passes him the narrative will change to, "well Cooley is a rookie and Slaf isn't"

Strange argument now that Slaf is lucky to have survived a season career injury in the last 39 games last year, where it was a mistake too keep him and that we are lucky in the end that everything is turning well.

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
Strange argument now that Slaf is lucky to have survived a season career injury in the last 39 games last year, where it was a mistake too keep him and that we are lucky in the end that everything is turning well.
Right? lol he was supposed to be damaged good and never develop the right way, last year was a lost year. Now his 39 games gives him so much more experience 😅

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Year 2 started out like WTF, why us again drafting another bust.... To the past 2 months WOW, finally a big strong skilled player that is playing a decent 200 foot game. I'm very happy and exited for the following years!!!

Reactions: cphabs

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Year 2 started out like WTF, why us again drafting another bust.... To the past 2 months WOW, finally a big strong skilled player that is playing a decent 200 foot game. I'm very happy and exited for the following years!!!
No, not to many observers, and not to Martin St. Louis. The very first time MSL put him with Suzuki and Caufield, the coach said the kid "earned it".

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
No shame in preferring Nemec and Wright, i did too, there's no way for us to know Wright is a complete nutsack (I think) without interviews and what not, I did raise the possibility in January 2022 but evidently, cannot go against talent.
It occured to me too, never liked his interviews much - always seemed fake. But I was still stuck in the we need a 1C and this guy was "supposed" to be the next Tavares... Wright may turn out to have a decent career, but I would feel sick seeing Slaf on the Devils (which is where hed be) right now. we haven't had such a specimen since Big John Leclair and boy he was fun to watch.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
I know some of you have seen this video already. First time I have watched it. Two things that struck me....

1) The things they said about Slaf, all seem to be coming true. It's like they knew what they were talking about.

2) So much goes into the scouting of each player and where they land on the grid. Seeing this, makes me truly laugh at those keyboard warriors who think they can do better. Doubling, even tripling down on their absurd anti-Slaf takes.

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
The development environment for Slaf has been excellent. I think he has very good former NHLers around him. Lecavalier surely has connected with him as a big forward with a ton of pressure on him. People like Dr Shot coming in is exactly what was lacking from the past regimes.

Whichever poster here said that Slaf is more like a high level athlete who happens to play hockey as opposed to a hockey player is right on the money. Slafkovsky is the new NHL and the Habs are lucky to have him. We talk a lot about how rare slaf's physical gifts are and it is true, but I can't help but think there's just going to be more and more players like that, so good that we get one now and we're not chasing the league for once.

The only thing that is a blow to his development this season has been Dach being out. But in spite of that he's thriving and he's earning every point. Could be the biggest (non-goalie) star we've had since PK.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
It occured to me too, never liked his interviews much - always seemed fake. But I was still stuck in the we need a 1C and this guy was "supposed" to be the next Tavares... Wright may turn out to have a decent career, but I would feel sick seeing Slaf on the Devils (which is where hed be) right now. we haven't had such a specimen since Big John Leclair and boy he was fun to watch.
Slaf might finish with about as many goals this year at 19/20 as Leclair had at his peak with us at ages 23/24 and 24/25.

At 19/20, Leclair wad playing for Vermont in a weak league and scored 21 points in 18 games.

Kennerback

Juraj NoShootsky
Jun 2, 2021
No shame in preferring Nemec and Wright, i did too, there's no way for us to know Wright is a complete nutsack (I think) without interviews and what not, I did raise the possibility in January 2022 but evidently, cannot go against talent. It is still very much in the air on who's going to be better out of the 10ish top players in 2022. Funny thing though is I thought Slaf had the highest ceiling, not so sure this is true anymore, but I do think he had the highest floor all along.

People need to chill tho, he's shooting at 23% since mid december, that's gonna go down quick.
He had a bad shooting percentage, now he’s back up at a nice high normal of 12.7%. He can’t realistically shoot better. He can only shoot at a higher volume to improve.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
Sometimes reminds me of Barkov oddly

He can have the same production for sure, if he continue like that. Looks at his abilities, he have abilities to become a star player with a high offensive production. Look at his pass on PP, the assist to Suzuki, that's a elite playmaker who can do that. He have such a great passing ability to put 40-50 maybe more per year. His scoring ability will looks better in few years, he show some flash of a elite goalscorer aswell. Looks at his 2 goals against Capitals and his goal against Dallas. This a 30-35 goalscorer player who can do goals like that.

He is already good two-way player at 19 years old, in few years, he will see a complete great two-way player with all his qualities like forechecking, his protection of puck.

We have a beauty in coming, for sure!!

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
Yeah i can see a 90 point player here in his prime. He scores goalscorer goals already and his passing is near-elite, he just needs to put a full season of consistency together and he's gonna be a monster.

Yes!

His tools are too good to don't produce like that. He is already equal even better than Suzuki in passing on PP.

Reactions: Pomee

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
He had a bad shooting percentage, now he’s back up at a nice high normal of 12.7%. He can’t realistically shoot better. He can only shoot at a higher volume to improve.
Yes, he's back to a normal now, maybe slightly high, but people who look at "x number of games" or "last X games" are using statistics erroneously.

Kennerback

Juraj NoShootsky
Jun 2, 2021
Yes, he's back to a normal now, maybe slightly high, but people who look at "x number of games" or "last X games" are using statistics erroneously.
That’s why we need to be careful to assume 60+ points. He has a tendency to fall back on his pattern of being overgenerous with the puck. He did at least twice last game. If he never breaks out of that cycle, he won’t get those extra goals nor the extra assists on rebounds. Dr. Shot needs to drill that math in his head.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
That’s why we need to be careful to assume 60+ points. He has a tendency to fall back on his pattern of being overgenerous with the puck. He did at least twice last game. If he never breaks out of that cycle, he won’t get those extra goals nor the extra assists on rebounds. Dr. Shot needs to drill that math in his head.
He continues to improve by leaps and bounds. I don’t think 60 points is an unrealistic expectation for next year. Obviously it depends on health and usage but he’s been really good. He’s been our best player on a lot of nights lately. Really impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad