Juraj Slafkovsky - Year Two

Where would you prefer Slaf spend his 23-24 season?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
I wanted Wright or Cooley, a centerman really, but Slaf is the real deal. Even if the other two become better players, Slaf is the right fit for MTL. It was great pick, I don't even mean his talent level, but his ability to believe in himself and not care about us crazy fans.

EXPOS123

Jun 29, 2010
I wanted Wright or Cooley, a centerman really, but Slaf is the real deal. Even if the other two become better players, Slaf is the right fit for MTL. It was great pick, I don't even mean his talent level, but his ability to believe in himself and not care about us crazy fans.
Same here - really wanted a center and thought that Slaf was a bit raw ( a la KK), but the more I watch him the more I see the sky’s the limit for him

Last edited:

LesCanadiens

Hardcore Curmudgeon
Feb 27, 2002
West Kelowna

I think it's partly due to his ethnicity. Slav men are typically self-confident in an old-school, macho kinda way. I think this helps. They (coach/mgt) always said confidence was never at issue with Slaf no matter what the press/fans were saying or how his play was perceived.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
He's played the same amount of games this year, as he did last.

He only has 4 more points.

Yet it feels totally different.

I know some folks can’t separate production from development, but he's shown a ton of progress.

I can’t wait to see what the next 40+ games look like.

Talking about posters

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
(Mod)

I know some folks can’t separate production from development, but he's shown a ton of progress.

He’s been on the first line for 14 games and he has 7 points. It’s a 40/45 points pace which is pretty good progression taking in consideration only 2 forwards will score 60 points + on the team this year and a bad PP.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kennerback

Juraj NoShootsky
Jun 2, 2021

Slaf now creates plays that lead to shooting opportunities. Which is a big step forward. Unfortunately, this shooting opportunity too often leads to the same result as before. No shot being taken, neither by Slaf nor his linemates. Which is mind-boggling but I guess part of the learning process.

Reactions: 417

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal

He had 1 point in his first 11 games, so the increase in production during the next two months is real.

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019

I remember arguing with you about tanking to draft high and its correlation to cup winning team in the past. Do you think the tank for Slaf was worth it?

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
His game is much much more than just points and everybody can see that.

The fact it's this much obvious at 19 years old and after only 78 NHL games, it's impressive in terms of development.
Agreed. He's gaining confidence and steamrolling through players towards the net. He's finally starting to shoot more. He's seeing the ice better. Of course, you'd expect those things to translate to points because, after all, points are the main job of a top-six forward.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Agreed. He's gaining confidence and steamrolling through players towards the net. He's finally starting to shoot more. He's seeing the ice better. Of course, you'd expect those things to translate to points because, after all, points are the main job of a top-six forward.
Going into this year - and certainly after the first month of this year - I never thought this guy had the potential to be our best forward. Now I can see it. The potential is there. He’s playing really well at a young age. I’m so impressed with his development this season.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
I like how his game is coming together. He is going to have a big impact well beyond the scoresheet.

Future line driver.

Reactions: Levard

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Really liking how he's looking now, he'll be a beast of a player if he can put everything together and become a bigger puck handling and scoring threat.

That way he'll draw way more attention and create way more space for his linemates, he definitely has the tools to reach that level. I really like the intensity he plays with, you can't teach that.

Last edited:

LesCanadiens

Hardcore Curmudgeon
Feb 27, 2002
West Kelowna
Can you provide examples of that? I don't think he was ever known for his IQ even before he was drafted.
Best example I have I can't provide to you because I can't watch him play for you. He anticipates extraordinarily well in all 3 zones which leads rarely being behind the play. Always aware of where his teammates are on the ice which is amply shown by the many smart, one-touch passes he makes. I've said all this stuff from the start, before he made a jump in outcomes of his play. Just watch him and you'll see how he thinks the game. And I'd be shocked if you objectively don't come away being impressed with his "IQ" or what I still prefer to refer as, hockey sense.

Don't know which people doubted his hockey sense/IQ before and when he was drafted. But, IMO those who did, were dead-wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad