Juraj Slafkovsky - Year Two

Where would you prefer Slaf spend his 23-24 season?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Yet not a single one of them was developped in the AHL. Wich most of you insist is THE league Slaf should be playing in right now.

We can debate all we want about the how and why like @BehindTheTimes and @nhlfan9191 insist of doing, but this is factual, we can all go to the nhl website and see if four ourselves. 0 ahl games for Harris, 0 ahl games for WiFi, 0 ahl games for Suzuki, only 3 ahl games for Ghule, only 8 ahl games for Caufield. and they're all doing fine in the NHL right now.

so again, why do you all insist AHL is THE league ? how about ECHL, or 2nd - 3rd division league somewhere in Europe that would be more or less the same calibre as the US College or JR ?

worked for all of the players menionned, so that should be the way to go with Slaf too.
I never accused you of giving incorrect information about the players you mentioned. I was only pointing out that they spent their D-1 and D-2 in different leagues and graduated into the NHL in their D-3. There was no graduation process with Slafkovsky. I also pointed out the AHL wasn’t an option for anyone you mentioned in their first two seasons, which is a luxury most teams would love to have with every prospect that’s good enough.

leVENTduNORD

Nov 12, 2023
I never accused you of giving incorrect information about the players you mentioned. I was only pointing out that they spent their D-1 and D-2 in different leagues and graduated into the NHL in their D-3. There was no graduation process with Slafkovsky. I also pointed out the AHL wasn’t an option for anyone you mentioned in their first two seasons, which is a luxury most teams would love to have with every prospect that’s good enough.
Youre missing the point, You're all talking about Slaf going to te AHL not Europe or ECHL or some ligue de garage. I just gave you names of players who are doing well despite not going to the ahl.

So yeah, say what you want about D +1+2+3+4 but Habs yougsters are proof you can become fine NHLers without the AHL. AHL lots of you claim is the ideal league to develop players.

You think Slaf should develop outside the NHL ? fine, just stop repeating stupid things like ahl is ideal or needs to go to the ahl to dominate, or any other idiocies in the ahl or bust type.

Flaming

leVENTduNORD

Nov 12, 2023
(Mod) yes you did
Here is where I mentionned College in my previous post : L, or 2nd - 3rd division league somewhere in Europe that would be more or less the same calibre as the US College or JR ?

It's obvious to any smart poster I am talking about Slaf going in league that are similar in caliber as the US Colleges, and not talking about Slaf going IN US Colleges.

(mod)

Last edited by a moderator:

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Youre missing the point, You're all talking about Slaf going to te AHL not Europe or ECHL or some ligue de garage. I just gave you names of players who are doing well despite not going to the ahl.

So yeah, say what you want about D +1+2+3+4 but Habs yougsters are proof you can become fine NHLers without the AHL. AHL lots of you claim is the ideal league to develop players.

You think Slaf should develop outside the NHL ? fine, just stop repeating stupid things like ahl is ideal or needs to go to the ahl to dominate, or any other idiocies in the ahl or bust type.
The AHL gets brought up because it’s the league with the second most talent in hockey. I’m not sure why you wouldn’t think that’s ideal in comparison to other leagues. Sending him back to junior which isn’t an option anymore or Europe would be saying he isn’t good enough to play down there yet and despite him being underwhelming in the NHL, I don’t think that’s the case. As far as the “dominating in the AHL” argument. I’ll believe it when I see it if he’s ever sent down. If we’re to go off what we’ve seen the last year and a half, it may take him awhile before he starts having a serious impact in the AHL as well.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Most don’t agree that starting him in the AHL was ideal, hence the entire debate. Most are arguing everything is going according to plan, which is demonstrably false.
A few things at play here.

I think most people think he was rushed. I do.

Problem of course was that AHL wasn’t an option for him last year.

Secondly, I think people seem to be dug into camps and it shouldn’t be that way. His stint in the NHL hasn’t been all bad or all great. He did actually get off to a decent start last year before the team’s slump. He has shown some potential in flashes. Personally I’d have had him in Europe or wherever but it wasn’t a total loss.

As for this year, we wasted the first ten or so mgsmes before moving him up. But he’s been better since, no doubt about it. The points haven’t come but I’m not concerned with that.

End of the day the team has rushed him and put him into a bad position. Shouldn’t have started in the NHL last year and shouldn’t have been with lower players this year.

But since moving up, he’s playing better. Now we should see it through with another ten or so games. Points are not the be all and end all right now. I fully expect him to get some if he can maintain his level of play and continue with CC. Personally I’d prefer if they kept both with Suzuki or Monaghan but that’s a whole other story.

cave troll

Oct 9, 2013
Croatia
Hughes literally said there was concern that if he still didn’t produce in the AHL THEN WHAT. Then sir we made a bad pick.
This is what he said:
Why did Canadiens' Slafkovsky stay in NHL? Kent Hughes gave some insight.

But the flipside of it, and concern, was it’s not about offensive production. If we put him in the American Hockey League and then all of the sudden the coaching staff and everyone is expecting him to score and he’s expecting it of himself, then it could be counterproductive.”

Even our GM was not convinced Slafkofsky could deliver in AHL.

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
This is what he said:

But the flipside of it, and concern, was it’s not about offensive production. If we put him in the American Hockey League and then all of the sudden the coaching staff and everyone is expecting him to score and he’s expecting it of himself, then it could be counterproductive.”

I think that’s very weird.

I have no idea how it’s counterproductive at all… I think it’s a-ok for him to hypothetically not produce ( I think he would do great btw). What he would experience would just be a step by step approach to become a pro NA player. There’s no world in which it’s wrong for an 18 year old to modestly produce in the AHL.

So weird, I have more confidence in Slaf it seems. I’d be behind even considering a so so D+1 AHL season. Contrary is silly to write off an 18 year old…

cave troll

Oct 9, 2013
Croatia
I think that’s very weird.

I have no idea how it’s counterproductive at all… I think it’s a-ok for him to hypothetically not produce ( I think he would do great btw). What he would experience would just be a step by step approach to become a pro NA player. There’s no world in which it’s wrong for an 18 year old to modestly produce in the AHL.

So weird, I have more confidence in Slaf it seems. I’d be behind even considering a so so D+1 AHL season. Contrary is silly to write off an 18 year old…
Seem like out management think that the kid is not capable of dealing with the pressure to produce something even on AHL level.
This is how scared they are of the possibility they drafted a bust.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
This is what he said:

I don’t read it that way at all. I read it as he wants him to focus on other aspects of the game. At this point in time, points are secondary. They don’t want him going down there and just focusing on racking up points.

There’s nothing in that quote that suggests a lack of confidence in him.

cave troll

Oct 9, 2013
Croatia
I don’t read it that way at all. I read it as he wants him to focus on other aspects of the game. At this point in time, points are secondary. They don’t want him going down there and just focusing I racking up points.
In that interview Hughes was talking about muscle memory erasing and comparing it with juggling balls.
He talks about 1OA like he's some undrafted big kid who came out of nowhere and needs to relearn basic hockey.

Heffyhoof

Jan 17, 2016
People care more about the person itself than the fact it's a sport game where the person earns millions to entertain us. We are here to watch hockey and be entertained. I find it hard people who are entertained right now watching him play as 1st OA in the biggest hockey league.

Feel like sometimes we are in a big therapy session where we gotta cuddle eachother to cope better.
Yup, that's why I like to try something called optimism when it comes to our prospects. :thumbu:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
In that interview Hughes was talking about muscle memory erasing and comparing it with juggling balls.
He talks about 1OA like he's some undrafted big kid who came out of nowhere and needs to relearn basic hockey.
There’s nothing in that quote that suggests a lack of confidence in the prospect or in a worry of him not succeeding in the minors. Stop making stuff up.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I know two things he hasn’t done and those are: he hasn’t grabbed the bulls by their horns and he hasn’t been carrying the mail. When are those supposed to take place?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad