GDT: Jumbo's 1500th game aka Sharks @ Stars

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Seriously the dude can't adapt and he's run his course, there is legitimately a better coach in every way available right now and we need to grab him.
You know what pains me is that my football team, Packers, has the exact same situation with regards to coaching. McCarthy has wasted so many of Rodgers prime years and the organization is really conservative with coaching. Very similar to the Sharks.

The big difference between the two teams being that the Pack have won several Superbowls including the one with McCarthy so he keeps getting to waste more of Rodgers years. Both my teams could benefit with systems that actually work with the players.

Crazy Joe Divola

Jun 20, 2009
Missed the 3rd but must say, as bad as the team defense was a large chunk of the passing was shite as well, either too soft, too far behind, in the skates, etc. looked really rough overall.

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
The only thing going for us this year is that the entire Western conference is a clusterf***.

upload_2018-11-8_20-23-41.png

That being said, I am not even sure if that helps us or hurts us in the long term.

FunkyPhin

Feb 2, 2011
Vancouver
You know what pains me is that my football team, Packers, has the exact same situation with regards to coaching. McCarthy has wasted so many of Rodgers prime years and the organization is really conservative with coaching. Very similar to the Sharks.

The big difference between the two teams being that the Pack have won several Superbowls including the one with McCarthy so he keeps getting to waste more of Rodgers years. Both my teams could benefit with systems that actually work with the players.

I feel ya, unfortunately we don't have the luxury of looking back to past championships, and we also don't have the luxury of time either. This really is now or never. PDB has shown that he can't get it done, we need to move on.

PattyLafontaine

Apr 5, 2006
My problem is that the "he should've had that" tirades against Jones have, at various points in the season, morphed into "any NHL-caliber goalie should've had that". Implying that the issue isn't that Jones' goals against aren't bad just because he's a well-paid starter on a Stanley Cup contender, but that they're bad because they're flat-out unacceptable goals for any goaltender on an NHL roster. And yet, when Dell lets in a similar goal and people push back against him getting criticized, that's treated as OK.

If a goal is unacceptable for any NHL-employed goaltender, then it shouldn't matter if it's a starter making millions or a backup at the league minimum. A bad goal by that standard is a bad goal is a bad goal in any situation. But it's not. Mental gymnastics are performed to mitigate the damnation placed on Dell vs Jones.

I agree that in a vacuum Dell shouldn't be judged as harshly as Jones based on their positions in the goalie heirarchy. But the moment we have "no NHL goalie should allow that sort of goal" comments, context is added and the vacuum is gone. And it's at that point I have a problem, because now impartiality and a level playing field are thrown out and it damages any legitimate cases people might have with Jones because the complains stop appearing objective and start looking petty and disconnected.

What's wrong is that you've cast far too wide a net on mediocrity. Teams can be good without being cup contenders. They can be below mediocrity without being irredeemably terrible. Instead of framing the league in something like a bell curve, it instead looks like 3 distinct buckets. And quashing any sort of subtlety in that type of argument makes it harder to have any sort of meaningful discussion.

If there are 15 mediocre teams in the league, you've basically lumped half of all playoff teams and half of all non-playoff teams into the same bucket. To take last season as an example (while granting that season records/point totals are not a perfect correlation to overall team strength. I acknowledge that strength of schedule and luck are going to tweak things a bit), if we apply that sort of logic, you're saying that the 98-point Kings and Flyers are in the same boat as the 80-point Islanders or 78 point Oilers. Previous seasons show a similar distributions of point totals. The 9th and 10th best teams are around the high-90s to low 100s in points while the 9th and 10th worst teams are usually in the low 80s. I expect that this season will bear out similar results So your definition of "mediocrity" ends up encompassing a nearly 20 point swing in performance. That's a big, wide, ungainly middle class that you've created in the interest of being able to apply a very sharp term like "mediocre" to a bunch of teams. And representative of what I was trying to point out: Arguments on here increasingly lack subtlety in an effort to make things strident and snappy. It's like the debating equivalent of clickbaity article/video titles. Yes, there comes a point where you can be too subtle or too precise in trying to group things (HF's old prospect ranking system is probably a good example of this. Eventually the system is so wrapped up in minutiae that the distinctions become meaningless), but at the same time, being too stark in differentiation can bork things up just the same (because now your argument looks far more inflammatory than it needs to be and we end up in situations that lead to equally blaring arguments about some aspect of one of the grouped sets being "criminally over/under-rated" or the like and everything gets derailed for a side-debate about the nature of such a broad-encompassing set of grouping criteria)

The problem is that Jones’s stats put him as the third worst starting goaltender in the NHL and in the middle 50s for all netminders.

Dell gets a pass because he may have a softy now again but Jones has had at least one softie in almost every game this year.

All those great saves he made tonight are spoiled by putting the Sharks in a hole.

The excuse making has to stop. The D was crap and nobody is arguing that but people need to wake up and stop prentending that the Emperor is wearing clothes

Negatively Positive

Mr. Longevity
Mar 2, 2011
Instead of benching Ryan midgame every other game, just ****ing dress Heed already, god damn.

Ryan's strength is his solid defensive play and Deboer benches him because apparently he thinks Ryan sucks defensively. Heed's weakness is defense so he'd get benched after 1 shift.

Reactions: Phu

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
Ryan's strength is his solid defensive play and Deboer benches him because apparently he thinks Ryan sucks defensively. Heed's weakness is defense so he'd get benched after 1 shift.
Then why is Melker Karlsson even on this continent?

Reactions: Phu

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
inb4 Deboer 5 year extension cus we made the playoffs

I know you are being sarcastic but just 'making the playoffs' was not what DW had in mind when he traded for EK65. I am not sure who it was who pointed out earlier but I am sure PDB is on a very short leash this year. With Q being fired, PDB has to feel some heat because now DW could fire him and go for a coach who has won the SC 3 times instead of losing twice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad