GDT: Jumbo's 1500th game aka Sharks @ Stars

Coily

Gettin' Jiggy with it
Oct 8, 2008
Redlands
If EK65 had re-signed by now, I may actually be ok with the season being a waste. But the thought that he may be gone after this year and we don't have our 1st round picks for the next 2 years is definitely a bummer.

The way Pavs and Jumbo have fallen off this year make me think that replacing them may not be as hard anymore. But man, failing early in the playoffs (or not making them) would be terrible given our lack of 1st round picks.
This is why it's even more irritating to watch.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
This is my point right here Ronnie, and JTR is not even one of the ridiculous Jones haters. Our fans make excuses for why our players score horribly soft goals, that they would not then make for Jones letting the same goal in.

Just because we are Sharks fans, does not mean we should have double standards for our players, whether they be positive or negative. So I totally get why we cheer for our goals, as apposed to rip apart the opposing goalie, but when Jones lets in similar goals, and some of us point out that its not just Jones who lets those types of goals in, there should not be the type of backlash about such a statement as there has been lately.

I wasn’t even particularly critical of Jones tonight but it doesn’t change that if you swap goaltenders in this game, you probably swap the winners as well.

I wouldn’t have been all that critical of the Kane goal if somebody scored on Jones on an identical play.

I don't know if Deboer's job security is in actual danger but he's coaching like it is. In previous years he usually just rolls the d-pairs whether we had a good bottom pairing or not. He doesn't bench a d-man so drastically game in game out. This feels like T-Mac playing McDavid 26 minutes a game trying to keep his job. It's early in the season and yet he's coaching like we're in desperate need of wins. I don't know if there's actual heat on him or not but his coaching seems weirder than previous years.

The worst part is that his recent tactics aren’t even helping us win. The reason that we kept that lead against Minnesota was because Ryan actually played a good deal of time in the 3rd period, where he was great. So, if this is the case, it sure concerns me that he thinks that will help us.

I don’t think that his job is on the line, though. Somebody should bring up DW’s exit interview but he made it very clear that he felt DeBoer had done a great job and that DeBoer was our coach going forward.

treefiddy

Errr'day Trollin'
May 8, 2013
San Jose
I wasn’t even particularly critical of Jones tonight but it doesn’t change that if you swap goaltenders in this game, you probably swap the winners as well.

I wouldn’t have been all that critical of the Kane goal if somebody scored on Jones on an identical play.

There’s zero chance you watched tonight’s game.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011

Yeah I know, which is why I said I do not consider you part of the hate Jones brigade.

I totally accept and agree with your rationale for why that goal went in, and honestly thought the exact same thing when watching it. The point was that we are capable of formulating reasonable explanations, and expectations for other teams goalies, that would then be dismissed or mocked severely by some on our boards had Jones let it in. That double standard is annoying as heck.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
There’s zero chance you watched tonight’s game.

Lol, sure bud. You mean the same game where the Stars got two clean breakaways and scored on one, while the Sharks got 2 and scored on none? The same one which was decided by exactly one goal?

Khudobin faced 36 shots, and he had a legitimate chance on 33 or 34 of them. (Kane is debatable) He stopped 33 of those 33-34.

Jones faced 22 shots, and he had a legitimate chance on 20 or 21 of them. (Shore’s 2nd is debatable) He stopped 18 of those 20 or 21.

Khudobin allowed 0 or 1 stoppable goals, and Jones allowed 2 or 3 stoppable goals. The Sharks scored 2 absolutely undoubtedly unstoppable goals and one questionable one. The Stars scored 1 absolutely undoubtedly unstoppable goal, one questionable one, and two goals that Jones absolutely had a chance to stop.

I watched the game in real time and also reviewed these goals due to the discussion so I would appreciate you using some actual logic instead of baseless attacks on my credibility.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
If EK65 had re-signed by now, I may actually be ok with the season being a waste. But the thought that he may be gone after this year and we don't have our 1st round picks for the next 2 years is definitely a bummer.

The way Pavs and Jumbo have fallen off this year make me think that replacing them may not be as hard anymore. But man, failing early in the playoffs (or not making them) would be terrible given our lack of 1st round picks.

Wait what? Jumbo is actually starting to look good. The team is 6 points in the standings off the league lead. All this while going thru what is clearly some growing pains adapting. You guys and your chicken little act is just silly. Jones was unbelievable tonight. Should have been 10-3 with those chances against. If that's the guy we get the rest of the season I'll be more than happy. The problems stem completely from the defensive zone play and off the rush. That's fixable. Considering the in season adjustments PDB has made in previous seasons I'm fine with giving them the time to get this all worked out. FFS, they've played 16 games and are scoring 3.3 goals a game. I'll take it.

I don’t think the Kane goal was all that soft from Khudobin. That was a nasty change up that came off a sick pass. It wasn’t the best goal but I don’t think Khudobin deserves to be crucified for it and I don’t think we would crucify Jones if he gave that one up.

Dude...:huh::help:o_O All the jones critics here would have spent 5 pages of this crap bitchin about it. You aren't actually serious are you?

Vlasic is also rapidly increasing his rate of decline by taking the Karlsson acquisition personally and trying to turn into something he’s not nor ever was or will be.

This is what I'm seeing too. Of all the defensemen I'm hoping he gets traded. Tired of watching him repeatedly shoot pucks into a defenders shin pads and watching pucks explode off his stick randomly when he's "attempting" a pass. I don't feel like I'm watching anything special when he's on the ice. Especially not 7mil special. Worst contract on the sharks right now by a mile.

Lol, sure bud. You mean the same game where the Stars got two clean breakaways and scored on one, while the Sharks got 2 and scored on none? The same one which was decided by exactly one goal?

Khudobin faced 36 shots, and he had a legitimate chance on 33 or 34 of them. (Kane is debatable) He stopped 33 of those 33-34.

Jones faced 22 shots, and he had a legitimate chance on 20 or 21 of them. (Shore’s 2nd is debatable) He stopped 18 of those 20 or 21.

Khudobin allowed 0 or 1 stoppable goals, and Jones allowed 2 or 3 stoppable goals. The Sharks scored 2 absolutely undoubtedly unstoppable goals and one questionable one. The Stars scored 1 absolutely undoubtedly unstoppable goal, one questionable one, and two goals that Jones absolutely had a chance to stop.

I watched the game in real time and also reviewed these goals due to the discussion so I would appreciate you using some actual logic instead of baseless attacks on my credibility.

dude Jones didn't stand a chance on Shores first goal. A shot deflected to him at the side and he deposited it. No chance for jones, just a lucky ass bounce. The rest were horrendous defensive breakdowns. One sequence in the late 2nd or mid 3rd had jones stopping 3 or 4 shots that were far more difficult than anything the other goalie face all night. Jones was not the problem in this game.

Last edited by a moderator:

JeremyTB

Mar 16, 2007
I am going to write this game off as the Sharks just not being able to win in Dallas. They always struggle there.

JeremyTB

Mar 16, 2007
How can Deboer not realize that making Thornton the 3rd line center makes him a whole lot better which makes the team a whole lot better.He gets to go up against weaker defenders and has alot more space to make his passes. Sharks would have 3 dangerous lines but Deboer is brain dead. If Wilson is not going to fire Deboer he needs to tell him that if he puts The joes together at anytime other than the PP it will be his last game coaching the Sharks. Also his lack of faith in Ryan is mind boggling.

Reactions: Phu

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
Jones definitely wasn’t the problem. Deboers system has always been about clogging up the neutral zone which the sharks did a good job of in 2016. They gave up some odd man rushes but nothing like this. I don’t know if it’s team speed or the system evolved but they need to change something

Reactions: mooncalf

LeftHeartInSF

Left Heart In SF
Dec 1, 2011
San Francisco/Boston
I'm laughing at all the Jones sucks and PD needs to be fired chatter. Also the Pavs is useless chatter, even when he is second on the team in goals with 7. Some folks act like the Sharks should go 82-0. If you expect a win every single game, of course you will be disappointed!

My friend here will hear your retorts:

therapug.1494764007.jpeg

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
The Jones stuff on this board is par for the course. The large majority of people posting on these boards have always scapegoated the goaltender no matter who it was. In some situations they were right to but in most they aren't. It's done because it's the easiest thing to do with the guy that is out there every time there's a goal against. People have unrealistic expectations on what a goalie can and should stop. When the argument boils down to that a goalie just has to make big saves then it's clear that there's a fundamental misunderstanding of the position and its expectations.

Reactions: SjMilhouse

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
The Jones stuff on this board is par for the course. The large majority of people posting on these boards have always scapegoated the goaltender no matter who it was. In some situations they were right to but in most they aren't. It's done because it's the easiest thing to do with the guy that is out there every time there's a goal against. People have unrealistic expectations on what a goalie can and should stop. When the argument boils down to that a goalie just has to make big saves then it's clear that there's a fundamental misunderstanding of the position and its expectations.
not that this isnt true, but Jones has been far below his usual standards and below the league average regardless of the defensive lapses. If he wasnt giving up trash goals everyone would be slamming team defensive breakdowns and it would honestly make the staff look worse. Jones's play may actually be clouding how bad the team d actually has been

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
I know everyone wants to point at Ryan's ice time but honestly he didn't look great when he was our there tonight

I agree Ryan had a couple miscues this game, however he’s been mostly stellar all year, having a bad game should not equal a benching, especially when that standard applies to none of the other defenseman.

It’s particularly stupid when he makes one of your best defenseman better.

JackSkellington

Pumpkin King
Feb 18, 2016
South Florida
Just bring in Quenneville, this cup or bust team needs a coach who knows the f*** hes doing and doesnt panic changing lines and d pairs the second things go wrong.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
I agree with Pavs' postgame comment the stats looking worse than his play. Sharks don't give up a lot of possession and muffin shots so Jones can't pad his sv %. They do though give up too many odd break off turnovers and have too many breakdowns in front.

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
Yeah. This is inexplicable. Ryan has been one of the most steady D-men in our own zone, if not the most. PDB has shortened his minutes irrespective of us being in the lead or behind. Makes no sense.
It's hilarious because he makes one bad read on the 3rd goal and is benched. Dillon throws a god awful pass to Karlsson that leads to a goal 30 seconds earlier and plays the rest of the game.

I'd say dress Heed if you aren't going to play Ryan but PDB would rather dress a 13th forward and roll 5 D than play any of Ryan/Heed/Simek now that he has lost DeMelo and Martin.

I've been a fan of PDB since we hired him, he took us to the cup finals which I've wanted forever. But at this point this team is vastly underperforming and he is openly making stupid decisions every game. Normally someone would say "oh well you aren't a coach so you don't get it". NO he literally breaks up our best line for no f***ing reason then the team sucks so he puts the line back together and they score. That right there is PROOF he is making bone headed moves for no reason. Karlsson getting first line minutes? Is he sniffing glue? Scratching Chartier after he scored a goal...way to reward the rookie Pete.

If this team is still floundering come January he needs to go. f***, at this point I want to see Wilson behind the bench and just let him run the team how he wants and if they still play like shit then blow it all up. It's unacceptable for this team to play the way they have (despite the domination in advanced stats) with the talent we have on this roster

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
They'll be fine when they start tightening up defensively. There's a lot of details that they are simply not being disciplined on and it's leading to all these dangerous chances against. I see forwards take off at the first sign that there might be a turnover. I see lots of guys stepping up in the neutral zone even when nobody is in a position to cover them. I see a lot of over-chasing of guys at the top of the defensive zone. I see a lot of lazy back-checking. I see a lot of guys not selling out to close up passing lanes. This team right now is caught in that trap of trying to just out-score the other team instead of maintaining their balance of defense leading to offense.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
It's hilarious because he makes one bad read on the 3rd goal and is benched. Dillon throws a god awful pass to Karlsson that leads to a goal 30 seconds earlier and plays the rest of the game.

I'd say dress Heed if you aren't going to play Ryan but PDB would rather dress a 13th forward and roll 5 D than play any of Ryan/Heed/Simek now that he has lost DeMelo and Martin.

I've been a fan of PDB since we hired him, he took us to the cup finals which I've wanted forever. But at this point this team is vastly underperforming and he is openly making stupid decisions every game. Normally someone would say "oh well you aren't a coach so you don't get it". NO he literally breaks up our best line for no ****ing reason then the team sucks so he puts the line back together and they score. That right there is PROOF he is making bone headed moves for no reason. Karlsson getting first line minutes? Is he sniffing glue? Scratching Chartier after he scored a goal...way to reward the rookie Pete.

If this team is still floundering come January he needs to go. ****, at this point I want to see Wilson behind the bench and just let him run the team how he wants and if they still play like **** then blow it all up. It's unacceptable for this team to play the way they have (despite the domination in advanced stats) with the talent we have on this roster

Funny you say that. I actually had a dream last night that PDB got fired and that is exactly what DW did. Ha ha.

Reactions: SjMilhouse

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
Funny you say that. I actually had a dream last night that PDB got fired and that is exactly what DW did. Ha ha.
I know it would never work BUT I'd love DW to pull a Bill O'Rielly and just say "f*** it we'll do it live" and take the team into his own hands and force their way to a cup. It would be pretty amazing to watch

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad