GDT: Jumbo's 1500th game aka Sharks @ Stars

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
Just got back from the game and I just want to drop kick Deboer in his stupid face. The players were absolutely gassed by the second half of the 3rd. They couldn’t win a race to a loose puck. On top of that they’re traveling for a game to St. Louis tomorrow to play their 3rd game in 4 nights... what a f**king moron. I can’t stand him or Spott. If Wilson has the guts he’ll dump this loser and get Quenville before LA gets him.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Except it isn’t be applied unfairly. Every goalie lets in bad goals now again. Jones is channeling his inner Dan Cloutier and letting in softies all over the place.

No, it has been. I don't remember which game, but Dell allowed a bad goal and basically nobody who leapt on Jones for... well, damn near every goal he's allowed , said a word. So someone pointed out that if Jones had let that goal in, he'd be raked over the coals. And the general response was that it was somehow more OK because it was Dell.

That's a nonsense excuse. A bad goal is a bad goal. If people are going to act like Jones is letting through goals that "any NHL goalie should be able to stop" then if Dell lets in the same goal he should get the same criticism.

I'm not saying Jones isn't playing badly. He absolutely is. I'm not saying that Jones isn't letting in some bad goals. He absolutely has. I'm not saying that Jones and Dell are on equal footing. They clearly aren't; Dell has been better this season. All I'm saying is that sometimes the criticism of Jones crosses a line when it reaches the point of accosting him for goals that other goalies get a pass on. That happens and it hurts the ability to legitimately criticize because it makes things look kinda petty. We already sort of see it in the pushback against the Jones criticism. And when basically every single goal Jones surrenders tends to get at least one "he should've had that", it also weakens the criticism because it creates the appearance that the standard Jones is being held to is abnormally high.

Reactions: Dicdonya and slocal

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
5v5 per 60GFGAGF%HDGFHDGAHDGF%
Burns/Ryan4.272.7261%2.331.5560%
Burns/Not Ryan2.023.0333%1.012.0233%
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

How in the utter f*** does Deboer justify benching Ryan?

I thought maaaaybe the idea was that Burns can score more without Ryan, but he scores not just less, but at less than half the rate he does with Ryan then when he is away from him. Its not even like his ice time away from Ryan is significantly less, and therefore a much smaller sample size creating an unfair comparison. Its less than 40 minutes, or about 2 mins per game difference.

Deboer is literally tanking this team with decisions like this. It may be for some good reason, but I have no clue what that reason is at this point.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
No, it has been. I don't remember which game, but Dell allowed a bad goal and basically nobody who leapt on Jones for... well, damn near every goal he's allowed , said a word. So someone pointed out that if Jones had let that goal in, he'd be raked over the coals. And the general response was that it was somehow more OK because it was Dell.

That's a nonsense excuse. A bad goal is a bad goal. If people are going to act like Jones is letting through goals that "any NHL goalie should be able to stop" then if Dell lets in the same goal he should get the same criticism.

I'm not saying Jones isn't playing badly. He absolutely is. I'm not saying that Jones isn't letting in some bad goals. He absolutely has. I'm not saying that Jones and Dell are on equal footing. They clearly aren't; Dell has been better this season. All I'm saying is that sometimes the criticism of Jones crosses a line when it reaches the point of accosting him for goals that other goalies get a pass on. That happens and it hurts the ability to legitimately criticize because it makes things look kinda petty. We already sort of see it in the pushback against the Jones criticism. And when basically every single goal Jones surrenders tends to get at least one "he should've had that", it also weakens the criticism because it creates the appearance that the standard Jones is being held to is abnormally high.

Just to piggy back a little here, there was not one person making fun, or blaming Khudobin for not stopping Kane's goal tonight. The softest, slowest, weakest goal that could possibly be scored ever.

Can you just imagine the absolute shitstorm Jones would get if he let that in for us......

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

Ronnie Residue

Burns is daddy.
Feb 15, 2015
On, Canada
Just to piggy back a little here, there was not one person making fun, or blaming Khudobin for not stopping Kane's goal tonight. The softest, slowest, weakest goal that could possibly be scored ever.

Can you just imagine the absolute ****storm Jones would get if he let that in for us......
As much as this game wasn’t on jones, this isn’t a fair argument. Of course nobody was making fun of Khudobin because most were happily laughing. It’s a completely different scenario in how you accept a “bad goal” when it is the opposing team who allows it.

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento
Nothing this franchise has ever done would make a normal person have high expectations.

Don't tread on me

-1_medium.jpg

Reactions: LeeIFBB

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010

Dell gets a pass because in the same game at other times he makes strong saves and plays well, has saved some he had no business saving, etc., while Jones this season has looked suspect almost the entire game every game.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
as for this game, i'm gonna chalk it up to missing our 1C. this team is a heck of a lot better with hertl than without him.

Reactions: Dicdonya

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
As much as this game wasn’t on jones, this isn’t a fair argument. Of course nobody was making fun of Khudobin because most were happily laughing. It’s a completely different scenario in how you accept a “bad goal” when it is the opposing team who allows it.

People here point out weak goals let in by opponent goalies all the time, amongst the cheering of course. Yet no peep on this one, because it was so laughably bad, that there was no point even pointing it out.

Yet if Jones let it in, there would be a couple people laughing for the same reason, that it was laughably bad and unlucky, and a bunch of others very seriously calling Jones any manner of terrible thing because he had the audacity to let it in.

Jones is clearly the scapegoat this year, with some side goats like Deboer, Melker and Karlsson.

Ronnie Residue

Burns is daddy.
Feb 15, 2015
On, Canada
People here point out weak goals let in by opponent goalies all the time, amongst the cheering of course. Yet no peep on this one, because it was so laughably bad, that there was no point even pointing it out.

Yet if Jones let it in, there would be a couple people laughing for the same reason, that it was laughably bad and unlucky, and a bunch of others very seriously calling Jones any manner of terrible thing because he had the audacity to let it in.

Jones is clearly the scapegoat this year, with some side goats like Deboer, Melker and Karlsson.
I agree people would have torn him apart for that goal, but that’s because they’re sharks fans. If they were Dallas fans they would’ve done the same. I’m just saying you have to understand that people are viewing it from a San Jose fan lens. They’ll naturally care less about another team letting in a trash goal.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I don’t think the Kane goal was all that soft from Khudobin. That was a nasty change up that came off a sick pass. It wasn’t the best goal but I don’t think Khudobin deserves to be crucified for it and I don’t think we would crucify Jones if he gave that one up.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002

You know the answer to this.

People have a shorter fuse with Jones because of his recent history...people have a longer one with Dell because the good outweighs the bad.

Not to mention that Jones is the starter, and paid handsomely for it. With much power, comes much responsibility.

FunkyPhin

Feb 2, 2011
Vancouver
Our Franchise always just gets absolutely boned :laugh:,
Trade for a generational offensive D-man--> having the worst start of his career
Hertl finally turning into the player we all hoped since his rookie year -->out with a concussion
Have one of the best defensive D-men in the league --> turns to shit as soon as he signs his $7 million dollar extension.
I could go on

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Our Franchise always just gets absolutely boned :laugh:,
Trade for a generational offensive D-man--> having the worst start of his career
Hertl finally turning into the player we all hoped since his rookie year -->out with a concussion
Have one of the best defensive D-men in the league --> turns to **** as soon as he signs his $7 million dollar extension.
I could go on

Vlasic had significantly declined in the 2016-2017 before he signed that contract. It was a terrible contract the moment that it was signed.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
I agree people would have torn him apart for that goal, but that’s because they’re sharks fans. If they were Dallas fans they would’ve done the same. I’m just saying you have to understand that people are viewing it from a San Jose fan lens. They’ll naturally care less about another team letting in a trash goal.

I don’t think the Kane goal was all that soft from Khudobin. That was a nasty change up that came off a sick pass. It wasn’t the best goal but I don’t think Khudobin deserves to be crucified for it and I don’t think we would crucify Jones if he gave that one up.

This is my point right here Ronnie, and JTR is not even one of the ridiculous Jones haters. Our fans make excuses for why our players score horribly soft goals, that they would not then make for Jones letting the same goal in.

Just because we are Sharks fans, does not mean we should have double standards for our players, whether they be positive or negative. So I totally get why we cheer for our goals, as apposed to rip apart the opposing goalie, but when Jones lets in similar goals, and some of us point out that its not just Jones who lets those types of goals in, there should not be the type of backlash about such a statement as there has been lately.

Negatively Positive

Mr. Longevity
Mar 2, 2011
I don't know if Deboer's job security is in actual danger but he's coaching like it is. In previous years he usually just rolls the d-pairs whether we had a good bottom pairing or not. He doesn't bench a d-man so drastically game in game out. This feels like T-Mac playing McDavid 26 minutes a game trying to keep his job. It's early in the season and yet he's coaching like we're in desperate need of wins. I don't know if there's actual heat on him or not but his coaching seems weirder than previous years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad