Player Discussion Julien Gauthier

Blais to Win

Dec 16, 2009
"He’s worked really hard, there has been talk about getting him in, but at the end of the day he’s just got to keep being the professional he’s been and work as hard as he has off the ice.”

Is this just boilerplate or is he saying something like, "Blackwell works out on the ice like Gauthier works out off the ice"? Can someone translate?

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
hard to argue w Blackwell's contributions.
also, since Bread's return from leave, NYR have been especially healthy up front,
typically, unplanned attrition opens up ice for 'next-in-line'
i feel a little bad for the kid,
but the lighter his stats, maybe the less likely Seattle chooses him
odds are, NYR not as consistently w full lineup available next season ...

Reactions: egelband and nyr2k2

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I have zero doubt in my mind that we're a better team with Blackwell in the lineup over Gauthier. For all his limitations, Blackwell busts his ass every shift, plays smart, is versatile, and can basically play in every situation. He also brings energy to the game.

Gauthier, for all his god-given talent, has not consistently shown much to warrant keeping him in the lineup. Even when he was "playing better," it was still basically like being involved in a small handful of plays each night. His isn't a situation like with Kravtsov or Kakko or Lafreniere, where you can see the kids ready to bust out--his was more like, "Eh, is he finally starting to understand things?"

The reality is that Quinn hasn't been tasked simply with developing young players at any cost; he's also tasked with winning, and building a winning culture, and developing those players within that culture. Unfortunately for Gauthier we have a lot of wingers--our strongest area--and he has never really demonstrated anything on a remotely consistent basis to force his way into the lineup over a guy like Blackwell who brings it every night.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Where would you like for him to play? 6 minutes on the 4th line?
We should clearly slot him in on the second line, because while we're in a frantic playoff push that would provide a huge positive experience for the whole team, we'd obviously be better with a guy who has never been consistent for more than three shifts in his NHL career.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
We should clearly slot him in on the second line, because while we're in a frantic playoff push that would provide a huge positive experience for the whole team, we'd obviously be better with a guy who has never been consistent for more than three shifts in his NHL career.
Ahh. Thought so

Reactions: nyr2k2

Sayba

Dark Schneider
Jul 7, 2009

You think Howden is a better player?

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I would put him on the 4th line, move up Kakko or Kravtsov to the 2nd, bench Howden and move Blackwell to the 4th.
So yes, you would play him for 6 minutes on the 4th line. Tell me, what material impact do you believe such a move would have?

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
He is a better player, I would play my best lineup.
Does making a better line up include people who are the best on their team in face offs and play a good portion of their time killing penalties? Because if yes, then not sure how that is addressed in switch you are talking about.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
No Howden is garbage. My assumption however was that you weren't advocating for Gauthier getting a handful of minutes on the fourth line and would instead demote someone like Blackwell (because he's not a kid and playing young guys is all that matters).
I would put him on the 4th line, move up Kakko or Kravtsov to the 2nd, bench Howden and move Blackwell to the 4th.
Like I said.

If you want Gauthier on the fourth ahead of Howden, okay, I guess. If Gauthier going to PK? If you want Blackwell on the fourth so Gauthier can play higher in the lineup, I think that's a big net negative for the team right now.

Sayba

Dark Schneider
Jul 7, 2009
Does making a better line up include people who are the best on their team in face offs and play a good portion of their time killing penalties? Because if yes, then not sure how that is addressed in switch you are talking about.

I understand that point and I know that's why. I think we have enough to get by without Howden anyway.

I think Gauthier has a real legit shot at being a valuable 3rd line player for years to come on this team and I'd prefer that over having an extra utility player like Howden in the lineup.

Reactions: egelband

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010

not a simple question, but, right now Howden, may be a better NHL player
his PK and forecheck have been decent,
but that, even after 175 NHL games, his offense has been so minimal at NHL level,
that it is a bit of surprise
at 18, Howden had 38-43-81 in 58 games, and higher Pts/Game at 19
The WHL is thought to be tough 2-way league

Gauth, with his size, hands and skating, should have the higher ceiling, but hasn't forced his way into an opportunity
(i am avoiding the question of whether Howden has earned his ...)

Reactions: kovazub94

DutchNYR

May 6, 2018
I have zero doubt in my mind that we're a better team with Blackwell in the lineup over Gauthier. For all his limitations, Blackwell busts his ass every shift, plays smart, is versatile, and can basically play in every situation. He also brings energy to the game.

Gauthier, for all his god-given talent, has not consistently shown much to warrant keeping him in the lineup. Even when he was "playing better," it was still basically like being involved in a small handful of plays each night. His isn't a situation like with Kravtsov or Kakko or Lafreniere, where you can see the kids ready to bust out--his was more like, "Eh, is he finally starting to understand things?"

The reality is that Quinn hasn't been tasked simply with developing young players at any cost; he's also tasked with winning, and building a winning culture, and developing those players within that culture. Unfortunately for Gauthier we have a lot of wingers--our strongest area--and he has never really demonstrated anything on a remotely consistent basis to force his way into the lineup over a guy like Blackwell who brings it every night.

Thanks for being the voice reason in all of this. Great post.

Reactions: nyr2k2

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I understand that point and I know that's why. I think we have enough to get by without Howden anyway.

I think Gauthier has a real legit shot at being a valuable 3rd line player for years to come on this team and I'd prefer that over having an extra utility player like Howden in the lineup.
Who on the team are you relying on face offs more? And who is picking up the PK time?

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Gauth, with his size, hands and skating, should have the higher ceiling, but hasn't forced his way into an opportunity
(i am avoiding the question of whether Howden has earned his ...)
The reality is that, at least what it appears to me, is that Gauthier is simply not doing what the coaching staff wants for him to do. Full stop. What it is, I have no idea. But we have seen it before on this team. Were he to be doing it (whatever it is), he would have probably found his way into the line up by now. And no, he is not confused. By all accounts, Quinn communicates fairly well. They want for him to play a certain way. He is not doing it.

Just a guess at logic as opposed to be wildly guessing and finger pointing.

Sayba

Dark Schneider
Jul 7, 2009
Who on the team are you relying on face offs more? And who is picking up the PK time?

He has taken 15 faceoffs in the last 8 games and gone 5 wins, 10 losses. We have 4 guys in Mika, Buch, Rooney, Blackwell and then if needed Strome, Kreider.

We have other guys who given the chance could end up being effective Chytil, Kakko and heck with his speed maybe Gauthier could be dangerous on the PK. I'm not saying that now but next year.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
No Howden is garbage. My assumption however was that you weren't advocating for Gauthier getting a handful of minutes on the fourth line and would instead demote someone like Blackwell (because he's not a kid and playing young guys is all that matters).

Like I said.

If you want Gauthier on the fourth ahead of Howden, okay, I guess. If Gauthier going to PK? If you want Blackwell on the fourth so Gauthier can play higher in the lineup, I think that's a big net negative for the team right now.

My ideal line-up would be:

10-16-74
13-93-89
20-72-24
43-17-12

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
The conversation shouldn't be Howden verse Gauthier. It's Gauthier verse Buch, Kakko, Blackwell and Kravtsov. Frankly, he shouldn't be playing over any of those guys. Even if they protect him and Blackwell or Howden get claimed, where does he fit in next year? Disappointing because he's got all the tools to succeed but he wouldn't be the first player with all the tools to not succeed in this league. There's definitely something he's not doing/working on behind the scenes. He's too enticing of a player to just banish.

Sayba

Dark Schneider
Jul 7, 2009
The conversation shouldn't be Howden verse Gauthier. It's Gauthier verse Buch, Kakko, Blackwell and Kravtsov. Frankly, he shouldn't be playing over any of those guys. Even if they protect him and Blackwell or Howden get claimed, where does he fit in next year? Disappointing because he's got all the tools to succeed but he wouldn't be the first player with all the tools to not succeed in this league. There's definitely something he's not doing/working on behind the scenes. He's too enticing of a player to just banish.

He was playing well before he was scratched. You also have to take into consideration the possibility that Buch and others could be moved. We don't know what team we are coming back with next season. If we lose some of those pieces Gauthier would be the guy to slide into the 3rd line RW.

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
He was playing well before he was scratched. You also have to take into consideration the possibility that Buch and others could be moved. We don't know what team we are coming back with next season. If we lose some of those pieces Gauthier would be the guy to slide into the 3rd line RW.

I hope they keep him and give him another shot next season if there's a spot for him. Him, Chytil and Kreider could be a good line. Hopefully he fixes whatever it is he needs to fix.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

The last time Gauthier was scratched wasn't because he had a bad game. I really don't know who Gauthier has to sleep with to get another shot on this team but if this is how it's going to be handled, then just don't extend a qualifying offer and let him walk.

Reactions: TheDirtyH and Sayba

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
He has taken 15 faceoffs in the last 8 games and gone 5 wins, 10 losses. We have 4 guys in Mika, Buch, Rooney, Blackwell and then if needed Strome, Kreider.
That does not answer as to who is better than him at face offs.
We have other guys who given the chance could end up being effective Chytil, Kakko and heck with his speed maybe Gauthier could be dangerous on the PK. I'm not saying that now but next year.
What coach is going to start to experiment with taking players that have never played the PK amidst a spring to the finish playoff chase?

As for next year, we can see what happens then. Let's see who Seattle takes and who actually makes the team. Even if Gauthier is not exposed or is exposed and not claimed, he is looking at some competition to see if he even has a future on the team. Which by the day is growing more and more doubtful.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad