Player Discussion Julien Gauthier

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Funny you should say that, in another thread I mentioned Pouliot as an approach/transition that could work for someone like Gauthier, Ethan Moreau was another "role" that I was thinking as well.

It's beyond hilarious that you just mentioned Ethan Moreau as he was considering playing on our mens league hockey team last week as he just moved down to Jacksonville working for Fanatics in some capacity and a couple of the guys on my team work there. They were so young they didn't know who he was or how to pronounce his name. It made me :(

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
Sheesh. Brett Howden gets a LOT of hate here.

Kid's just 21, lol.

Guess that's old for some folks around here.

For perspective, Buch is 24 and still putting it together, but is looking more and more like a pretty good hockey player.

I'm thinking in 2/3 years Howden's got a good shot at being a pretty solid 3rd line C, but what the hell do I know.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State

Kid's just 21, lol.

For perspective, Buch is 24 and still putting it together, but is looking more and more like a pretty good hockey player.

I'm thinking in 2/3 years Howden's got a good shot at being a pretty solid 3rd line C, but what the hell do I know.
Agreed, maybe the most over-hated player on our team. Not many 21 year olds are capable penalty killers like he is, I think he gets treated unfairly because of the McDonagh trade.

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
Yeah, dude is vanilla (except for some nice deflection goals) but he gets waay too much hate, which I never really got.

But I know this is HFNYR, we will always have some weird scapegoats.

Last edited:

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
This isn’t a scapegoat thing. He has been flat out bad the last two years. Sure he has small flashes of competency, but he has been way more bad than good.

He is playing the PK by default. I think he has gotten better at it, but then again you would hope so with the amount the role has been force fed to him. He is more willing to block shots than in the beginning. He is getting into lanes more. Stick work is better. Still has trouble clearing pucks where he just turns it back over to the other team.

5v5 he is a black hole. He is not great on the faceoff dot and he drags down his line. Someone pull up the advanced stat charts of the 3rd line with him and then with DiGuiseppe added. And DiGi isn’t some “savior”, he just provides capable play that leads to some more possession time and offensive zone time.

He is only 21. I hope he improves. I really do. Because right now* as it stands he is the only piece from the McDonagh trade 2 years ago that is playing in the NHL. Lundkvist will make the trade a win, but you hope Howden become a 3rd line player in this league that helps a team win

Reactions: Blue Blooded

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019

Kid's just 21, lol.

this is a Gauthier thread right lmfao

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
One silver lining to a potential Fast departure is that you would likely see this kid get a shot on the Panarin line next season.
I'm sorry? Maybe I need to be more optimistic but DQ does not strike me as a coach who would do that. That sounds like a great thing to try but I'm not seeing it.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I'm sorry? Maybe I need to be more optimistic but DQ does not strike me as a coach who would do that. That sounds like a great thing to try but I'm not seeing it.
You are seeing Fast with him right now as there was no one that was stepping up and being better. Next year in camp, I would have to believe that the hope is that Kakko can step up and play there. If Fast departs, I would think that it comes down between Kakko and Gauthier as to who gets a shot playing with Panarin & Strome.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
You are seeing Fast with him right now as there was no one that was stepping up and being better. Next year in camp, I would have to believe that the hope is that Kakko can step up and play there. If Fast departs, I would think that it comes down between Kakko and Gauthier as to who gets a shot playing with Panarin & Strome.
Kakko.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I just don’t understand how a coach watches this kid’s shifts and says let’s keep his mins to 7 or 8 on the 4th line with no pp time.

I’d have him out there a ton! Total beast of a kid with a lot of skill

lol the league is shutdown you can stop complaining about ice time

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I just don’t understand how a coach watches this kid’s shifts and says let’s keep his mins to 7 or 8 on the 4th line with no pp time.

He will get his change to prove it next year. Chances are Fast will be gone. So his competition will be Buch and Kakko. Chances are the former is right back with Kreider & ZBad. Which will leave Kakko as the competition. Otherwise, he will still be on the third line.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I see a right-wing version of Pouliot as a projection, with slightly more strength.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

Quinn's was giving him various other looks here and there, but clearly was easing him into things... letting him learn the team, learn the system, learn Quinn's own universal expectations. There was no burning need to rush him along any faster.

Reactions: egelband

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad