Player Discussion Julien Gauthier

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
I don't think he plays Center in college.

He doesn't. And that's why I think we're all going to be surprised.

Eventually the organization is going to have to try other guys now that Lias is gone and Howden sucks. I think Henriksson is still a couple years away at best, so Barron could very well be that guy.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Strome’s ability to regularly find Panarin is uncanny. Good analogy with what Nylander did for Jagr and hopefully there’s a lesson learned from both organizational and player’s perspective.

Gauthier is getting more comfortable with each game. Would it be enough to put on Zibanejad’s wing? Not sure. Probably enough to give him a bit more minutes playing on a third line but I’d rather Quinn tried either Kakko or DeGuiseppe as Kreider’s replacement first.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
I think Nylander is one of the best neutral zone stick handler like ever. But the NHL before 05’ was of course the worst possible fit for him. He had some legendary WCHs for Sweden before we got him when Renney coached Canada, definitely think that played a huge part in that we went out and signed him.

The problem I have with Strome is not what I think he can do with Panarin, it’s what we would get away from Panarin and at what cost.
My dad always jokes that his kids must've had at least two Xboxes each growing up for all the POTG prizes he won.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Been a fan of his before the trade and so much more seeing him in his 8 games as a Ranger. Very impressive. I really think he can be a 2ed liner in the future in his prime, reminds me a little like Blake Wheeler, but definitely a 3rd liner with PP time in the near future

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Anttiup32

Jan 29, 2018
Quinn has used the 4th line sparingly all season. I don’t think we see an icetime increase until we see lines change up. I wonder if Gauthier gets a crack in Kreider spot. Pretty similar player in terms of size/skillset. Just don’t know if Quinn is ready for that type of commitment. Another line that could be fun is Guathier-Chytil-Kakko but they’d have to be at about 90% o zone starts

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
We’ve lost 3 in a row since Kreider went down. Throw this kid in Kreider’s spot next game and see what happens. If he’s way over his head just switch him back down the lineup for someone like Lemmy or DiG. Lemieux, if anyone remembers, showed good chemistry with Zib early in the season and hasn’t had much offensive opportunity lately. There’s nothing to be lost by giving Gauthier a game in Kreider’s spot. If he’s adequate he can stay for another, if he’s terrible he doesn’t even finish the game there and if thrives than good for us.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
How much did Brett Cyrgalis see him in college? To me, he's as much a center as JT Miller/Filip Chytil at this point. Sure, he can play center but it's not as if he regularly does.

Most of the posters who follow with more regularity have pointed to him being a winger, and frankly, looking better on the wings.

It's possible the Rangers could take a Kevin Hayes like approach to Barron. But up to this point, he's primarily been a winger.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
most recently saw him mid feb at home back to back games RPI and union. i watch ALOT of cornell hockey games. they are a machine this year. dominating games. i think they've given up like 1 goal last 4 games or something dumb like that. colgate and cornell i watch alot. the ECAC playoffs start 3/13

hes a horse. barron is a horse. hes big and hes strong. hes tall with long arms and legs. non stop motor. kid competes and his play away from the puck is VERY solid. hes always the best player on the ice when i watch Cornell. also, wears the C this year.

ill tell you something else. hes got a cannon. hes a lefty but he sets up shop on that side and his one timer is money on the big red PP.

looks alot like ovy the way he has his stick up in the air looking for that pass. he can beat goalies.

this kid, imo, projects as a prototypical scoring power forward. to me, hes on the wall as a pro.

as ive said before, sleeper kid from round 6 who went right from canadian prep to D1. unusual route.

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
Saw Barron earlier in the season when Cornell played at MSG and a handful of times last season at Cornell. Not doubting anyone that has seen Barron play saying he's been strictly at LW but every game I've seen he's been at C and was very productive.
I agree in not ruling out Barron getting a long look at C and hoping he winds up in Hartford next season. All is well if he ends up at LW eventually since they lack depth on both sides at forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad