Player Discussion Julien Gauthier

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Gauthier's had scoring chances--so far his tendency is to pass them up. It's kind of like Kakko this season in a way. He'll wait too long and his chance will disappear. I really like the size and speed but right now I see too much hesitation in his game. He could be a bit stronger on his skates too. That's something that he should work on but also something that should come naturally with age. We're seeing progress with that same issue with Buchnevich this year. He's not that easy to knock over anymore. We could try Julien on Mika's line I suppose but I'm not sure we'll see much production from him. IMO he needs a good summer--to work on some of his weaker areas and come back next year knowing the team and with a good idea of what NHL life is like. Sometimes that time away over the summer does a world of good for a younger player.

The hatred of Howden can get ridiculous. Again a guy who needs to get stronger on his blades and even upper body. He's not going to be a top 6 player but this season hasn't been bad for him--between the bottom two lines mainly and he's getting better as a penalty killer. He's going to be a pretty good bottom 6 player in a year or two. He's kind of an average one now.

Last edited:

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
So I haven't been able to watch the last 4 games but from what I have read skimming through the game threads it would appear people are liking Gauthier's game so far, is that an accurate statement? What are people finding the most surprising about him?

Many around here were mentioning his name as an idea to find a way to add size and strength at the wing position moving forward so I was happy to see Gorton able to land him for a player like Keane who I do think has a NHL future but was blocked.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
So I haven't been able to watch the last 4 games but from what I have read skimming through the game threads it would appear people are liking Gauthier's game so far, is that an accurate statement? What are people finding the most surprising about him?

Many around here were mentioning his name as an idea to find a way to add size and strength at the wing position moving forward so I was happy to see Gorton able to land him for a player like Keane who I do think has a NHL future but was blocked.
He goes hard to the net, with speed. It's tough to contain. The problem for him right now is he's just not sure what to do when he gets there. He's generating opportunities, but then they fizzle out because he can't make up his mind what to do. Most surprising is that for a big, strong kid who skates really well, he is pretty easy to knock off his skates. He falls a lot.

All in all there's a lot of promise there.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008

Goat has excellent speed. He covers a lot of ground quickly. And his hands are pretty quick. I like how he and PDG pursue the puck

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
The hatred of Howden can get ridiculous. Again a guy who needs to get stronger on his blades and even upper body. He's not going to be a top 6 player but this season hasn't been bad for him--between the bottom two lines mainly and he's getting better as a penalty killer. He's going to be a pretty good bottom 6 player in a year or two. He's kind of an average one now.
I think the hatred began as a Howden vs. Andersson thing, where it appeared Howden was receiving preferential treatment and it pissed off a lot of people (including yours truly). I still don't like him and thing he should have been in the AHL, but he had been moderately better of late.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
he's fine. I don't think he's getting many opportunities to generate consistent offense but he's doing what he has to do.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I thought he had a very good game yesterday except for getting pucks on net. He'll get it.

They need to turn this kid into a Josh Anderson type. He can bulldoze his way to the net and create chances with the puck. Without the puck you turn him into a forechecking monster to is a puck pursuer who takes the body.

In the D-Zone if he's a good shot blocker, and a good back-checker- then you have a guy who will have a very fruitful NHL career.

He can earn his way onto the 2nd PP as a right shot option if he takes care of the above. I think he's close to getting it together. There's always that adjustment period of joining a new team, new city, new system. But all things considered, he's got the tools to do some damage.

If he's reliable defensively, then he will have a prosperous career imo, and become a very valuable asset.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Gauthier reminds me of a right handed Benoit Pouliot.

I never thought at 31, last season in 17-18 with Buffalo that Pouliot would be out the NHL at his age. he was always a good skater. Rangers should have considered him for depth. always been an underrated player. shocked he never scored 20 goals.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
I can see that but he looks a bit more offensively challenged and not as willing to use his body. I should add that the way it looks like right now. He has time to learn.

Gauthier lacks the experience that our 13-14 Pouliot had but really Pouliot was pretty offensively challenged himself considering his skill level and impressive physical abilities.

noupf

Jan 31, 2007
Perhaps a bigger version of Carl Hagelin? Guthier seems to have great wheels but no hands. Maybe he carves out a niche as a good PK guy and solid 3rd line, forechecker with wheels kind of like Hagelin did for himself. Hags always has the speed and determination. I liked him a lot, but his lack of hands always left me wanting more.

E-Train

Feb 27, 2002
New Jersey
It’ll come together for him. Big upside and well worth Keane (who I was high on). You can already see what he might become. Put up numbers in the A. Only a matter of time. Someone this team needs in the top 9 going forward.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
He also seems to be the type that the Rangers have had over years. All the size and nothing of a mean streak. Which is surprising because that is not the way he was in college,where he was more apt to use his body.

He's not mean 'per se' but he's not passive. He seems like somebody who's gotten good coaching and has taken it to heart that he has to play a certain way to be most effective. I'm actually surprised what a bull he's been on the forecheck and on the boards. He's still clearly unsure of himself and isn't playing 'instinctively' yet. But he's also only just getting a crack at the Bigs and I'm encouraged by a kid who's ready and trying to mold himself into a role he's being advised into by coaching. It'll come with time and reps I think.

And if he lack Pouliot's mean streak, we can hope he'll also lack his penchant for stupid penalties.

Gauthier lacks the experience that our 13-14 Pouliot had but really Pouliot was pretty offensively challenged himself considering his skill level and impressive physical abilities.

Yeah, Pouliot didn't have the same strength and didn't drive the net as option #1 the way Gauthier has been. I think Gauthier could be a better player on the scoring side. We'll have to wait and see. I think he just needs to get himself through the season and come into next year believing he's an NHL player, much like Lemieux a year ago.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Gauthier reminds me of a right handed Benoit Pouliot.

Funny you should say that, in another thread I mentioned Pouliot as an approach/transition that could work for someone like Gauthier, Ethan Moreau was another "role" that I was thinking as well.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
Funny you should say that, in another thread I mentioned Pouliot as an approach/transition that could work for someone like Gauthier, Ethan Moreau was another "role" that I was thinking as well.

Moreau is a name I haven't heard in a long time. Moreau and Kilger were late 90s poster children for "trying to figure out how to use size and speed effectively".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->