Player Discussion Julien Gauthier

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Because he took a penalty if I recall correctly. That at least seemed to be the impetus. I recall it being in a game in which Goat was otherwise quite effective too.
yeah i think you’re remembering right. darn Gauthier doing the thing that Ryan Strome is best at (or at least was)

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Because he took a penalty if I recall correctly. That at least seemed to be the impetus. I recall it being in a game in which Goat was otherwise quite effective too.

Yeah he had two high sticking penalties in the same game where his stick slid up his opponents stick fighting for the puck. He was just trying a bit too hard. Didn't stop coach Q. from burying Gaut forever and ever.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Double minor for a high stick.....that play can happen in an instant and not what should be considered a lazy penalty as many do . A trip 200 ft from your own end is a lazy penalty . He was sat quite a bit after that incident .

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Gauthier's touch and playmaking has actually taken a nice step forward this year. He doesn't recklessly bumrush the net anymore but instead holds on and looks for a play. Which doesn't stop him from shooting or jamming the net, he's just more calculated than he's been in the past.

He's also good for 1 or 2 massive hits a game. I don't think he positions himself well enough for them to be consistent but every now and then he will catch an unaware defender and absolutely blow them up on the boards, which is cool.

Most importantly IMO is he's always jamming either the net front or the slot. If it's not him, it's Chytil or Lafreniere, but it's usually him since he still doesn't look to control the puck that much. Which is why that line is so effective, they all push their way into the slot and try for rebounds. It would show itself more if we had a little more skill on D *ahem Zac Jones*.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
dat ixG doe.

dont want to over react but he's arguably the best player in the league.

3m8hPYQ.png

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Sometimes you need to let a player with the pedigree and skill just play. I think Gallant understands that. You have to let young talented players play and develop, if they are ready to play at this level.

But its similar to how Kakko was bounced around last season from line to line. Too much micromanaging from Quinn. Especially knowing last season that while they had a shot at the playoffs, it was unlikely. Let the kids get through the minutes. Its no different than anything else you are practicing. You need the reps. We are seeing Nils get them as well.

We saw both Goat and Kakko have pedestrian games last season with a few good things and a few not so good things. Quinn was quick to pull the trigger on Goat when he saw some bad defensive mishaps. He didnt allow him to get the ball rolling, to get his confidence going, to allow him to skate through it.

Gallant comes in with a fresh set of eyes, sees a talented beast of a kid dripping with size and skill and recognizes he has a good camp. Keeps him up and tells him to work on things. Gives him some consistent minutes and doesnt jerk him around. Tells him what he needs more of, sees it and allows him to skate through it. An injury occurs and the first place he turns is to Goat and now he's taking advantage of his opportunity.

But heres the difference. Lets say Goat continues to put together some good games and then falls off for a few. Gallant will stick with him. Hell let him skate through it, provided Drury doesnt take that spot away from him. Quinn wouldve yanked him and then the proverbial ball of confidence has to be rolled up again.

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
Gauthier's touch and playmaking has actually taken a nice step forward this year. He doesn't recklessly bumrush the net anymore but instead holds on and looks for a play. Which doesn't stop him from shooting or jamming the net, he's just more calculated than he's been in the past.

He's also good for 1 or 2 massive hits a game. I don't think he positions himself well enough for them to be consistent but every now and then he will catch an unaware defender and absolutely blow them up on the boards, which is cool.

Most importantly IMO is he's always jamming either the net front or the slot. If it's not him, it's Chytil or Lafreniere, but it's usually him since he still doesn't look to control the puck that much. Which is why that line is so effective, they all push their way into the slot and try for rebounds. It would show itself more if we had a little more skill on D *ahem Zac Jones*.

It was mentioned in another thread that NYR have had trouble creating chaos in their offense. What Gauthier has been doing is just that and it's made him noticeable in good-to-great ways most games. Definitely a welcomed addition to this team, hope he can keep that level of intensity for playoff games eventually.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
If he'd just take some extra time at practice to refine the power move/practice the finish aspect. Set himself up with more space/better angles

Reactions: cwede

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Gauthier shouldnt be on a line with Lafreniere and Chytil, its bad enough Laf has one guy that can't score but two of them is insane. I get what people like about Gauthier but he is a black hole offensively and not a lot better defensively, though he hasn't been as glaring in that department lately its an awful idea playing him with Lafreniere who needs to get on a roll. If he's on the 4th line forechecking thats fine but thats his only true value, he wastes a lot of scoring chances.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008

i think constantly being at practice with the rangers and being around kreider has been important for him in that regard.
Kreids usually got/gets 1-2 breakaways a game. Over that last 3 or 4 seasons he s Kreids has improved scoring on them.
There was a time where he wasn’t that good at all on the rush with just him and the goalie.
Kreids is a lot more comfortable now. He goes to his backhand, or he’ll make a power move across etc
Gauthier and Kreids both have that burst of execration. Both are big strong guys who protect the puck well wit their tree trunk legs.
he is like a kreider mini me In that way.
I think Gauthier picked up some valuable advice watching and working with Kreids trying to mimic what he does on the ice and it’s paying off.
He actually tries to make a move at the net now instead of plowing into the goalie at full speed or a weak shot.
He’s never going to score as much as Kreids but he’s absolutely been better. His level of Hustle is Also better under Gallant. Like many have said, he’s not playing so timid that any small mistake is going to get him benched.
Hopefully he keeps playing well and pots a few and his confidence goes up. He deserves it.
He’s not terribly old yet. Sometimes bigger PF guys take longer to have everything click. He can still carve out a knuble like 3rd line role, scoring around 15-20 goals a year.
Whether he’s a ranger for a long time or not.

Last edited:
Reactions: leetch99

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
3 goals in 60+ NHL games. This is someone who's main strength at lower levels has been scoring goals.

It's just not looking great for the guy. Despite the strides I just don't think he's good enough for this league. Hopefully I'm wrong but I think he's gone by next season if he doesn't start producing soon.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
3 goals in 60+ NHL games. This is someone who's main strength at lower levels has been scoring goals.

It's just not looking great for the guy. Despite the strides I just don't think he's good enough for this league. Hopefully I'm wrong but I think he's gone by next season if he doesn't start producing soon.

Some players need time to adjust to a higher level. Gauthier has played just 64 NHL games.

Sayba

Dark Schneider
Jul 7, 2009
Not sure what else people are looking for in a 3rd liner. Sure it would be nice if a few more would go in, but he is generating chances, getting shots and forechecking all pretty effectively with his size and speed.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I don’t understand how some can be so upset about Gauthier. Is he the best defensive player? Nope. But he is improving in that area. And what he does has is something you can’t really teach and that’s size, strength, and speed. He is slowly learning what he can be good and effective doing at the NHL level and that is mainly getting around defenders and driving right towards the net. And then sometimes he holds the puck and goes behind the net to start the possession game in the offensive zone. He is also becoming more and more physical, taking the body a couple times a game with some heavy hits.

He is playing on the 3rd line. We got him for Joey Keane. We didn’t lose the trade, in fact it has been a huge win imo. Where is Keane on Carolina’s blueline? Gauthier is a former 1st round pick with a lot of sexy tools that are worth taking a chance on and seeing if he can grow into an NHL player. He has certainly looked better this year under Gallant. Gallant did a great job with Tuch in Vegas, who plays a similar game. I am willing to give Gauthier more time. Regardless of any frustration with him not finishing, the fact is he is still creating high danger chances.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad