Player Discussion Julien Gauthier

Blais to Win

Dec 16, 2009
My only concern with him on that Chytil-Laf line is that I really don't like Gauthier as the primary puck carrier for it since he's not the best playmaker. He's been fantastic at taking the puck to the net, but he's been kind of rough to watch without it. There was one play in the third last night where he did a great job carrying it into the zone, cycling quick with Laf, and taking it to the point to get it to Fox. The only issue was that he simply just stopped skating at the blue line and it kind of killed the momentum that line had going.

It's probably me being too nitpicky, but I'd prefer to see Chytil or Laf be more of the facilitators for that line. I love the progress Gauthier has made though in the last 4-5 games.

This may seem facile but maybe he was winded?

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
He is coming along great now ....glad to see it evolving . Like somebody said if he could just be a bit more involved physically....actually if the whole line did that a wee bit more we would have a very effective trio of big guys doing damage . They can soften up D and draw some penalties and score some goals all for likely less than 6 Million combined !!! That's a win for this club . Show them the ~ how to play hard manual ~Gerard Gallant !!!! I figure these three are most likely the key to how our season goes .

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
This may seem facile but maybe he was winded?
Totally possible, and I’ll admit it’s me being more nitpicky than warranted. My only caveat there is that if he were winded, he has to learn to not take the puck back to the point when he’s gassed. He had support deep in the zone and could’ve gone for a change.

Reactions: BobSantos

Kodiak

Feb 27, 2002
Ranger fan in Philly
My only concern with him on that Chytil-Laf line is that I really don't like Gauthier as the primary puck carrier for it since he's not the best playmaker. He's been fantastic at taking the puck to the net, but he's been kind of rough to watch without it. There was one play in the third last night where he did a great job carrying it into the zone, cycling quick with Laf, and taking it to the point to get it to Fox. The only issue was that he simply just stopped skating at the blue line and it kind of killed the momentum that line had going.

It's probably me being too nitpicky, but I'd prefer to see Chytil or Laf be more of the facilitators for that line. I love the progress Gauthier has made though in the last 4-5 games.

He's got a very simple mindset because he's trying to find his way and establish himself as an everyday player. Get in on the forecheck, take the puck to the net, and shoot. We saw Chytil do the same thing, and now Chytil is playing with more confidence and distributing the puck more.

Gauthier has been engaged and physical, and he's gone from a player most people wrote off to a player that might have a future here. I'm very interested to see where his game goes from here.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
He should have scored on that one power move that he gets every game. Pushed the puck towards the net a bit early but there was a ton of space there for the puck to go in (he almost got it on the rebound.)

Watching him bull rush his way through opponents to successful zone exits will never cease to humor me. It shouldn't work, but it does.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
The combination of size and speed cannot be ignored.

Man, if he can continue his confident play and take another step...

But it's only two games.
Well...couple of hits one really hard and some chances...if only he could finish them. That will come . He is evolving right before our eyes....could be a BIG bonus for us . Imagine if we get all our big guys going ? Kreider-Chytil-Gauthier KK ....hard to defense that kind of size and strength on the rush .

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Gauthier forechecking like a menace and creating chaos in front of the net is exactly the type of game he needs to play to have a long career in this league. The goals will come but even if they dont hes still an effective player. Gallant's coaching staff has gotten through to him in a way Quinn's clearly couldnt. Love to see it.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Well....as the old women always said....the proof is in the pudding !!! Hehe....loved the Gauthier performance today. I think he is starting to gain some confidence and the 2nd and 3rd pair of opposition D simply are not quick enough to handle him or strong enough !!! Not many teams offer up that outside speed of Kreider and Gauthier . If we find another center with skill....we will quickly forget about the guy we traded to St Louis and that immature kid that went home to his mommy . Have at it....anybody want to trade Gauthier right now ? He makes league minimum....I say we keep him and sign him ASAP for slight raise if we can.

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
Kid finally gets a shot to play regularly with some offensive players and he’s developing. No way…

He might not be a shift in shift out consistent defensive player but thankfully we have a coach that's willing to let a player thrive while he's putting it together.

OrlandK

Oct 18, 2017
Westchester NY
While he may never be a great finisher it is a skill he should be able to work on and improve. Silly to have such a great ability to get to the net and not be able to do anything when in all alone.

Reactions: Crease

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
If we keep this up and get into The Dance and the young guns keep coming along, Laffy-Fil-Goats is going to be a serious matchup problem as depth scorers for opposing teams like Pouliot-Brass-Zuccs was.
Yupp. Guys like Gauthier, Chytil, and Hunt are giving us some unexpected depth, which (along with a true top 6 C) was one of our biggest problems. If the kids (Laf, Chytil, Gauthier, and hopefully Kravtsov) can keep progressing, we are going to be scary.

Edit: And Strome looks like he’s becoming a high-end 2C as well. Just need a matchup C then (Mika?).

AWall THE CLAW

Jul 23, 2010
Yupp. Guys like Gauthier, Chytil, and Hunt are giving us some unexpected depth, which (along with a true play-driving 1C) was one of our biggest problems. If the kids (Laf, Chytil, Gauthier, and hopefully Kravtsov) can keep progressing, we are going to be scary.

I'm really hoping they can mend things with Kravtsov. Blais being done is enough. Another injury to a winger and things are getting really dicey and I've seen enough of Kreids-Zibby to know that they need someone with skill on their right.

Reactions: Rempe73

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
I'm really hoping they can mend things with Kravtsov. Blais being done is enough. Another injury to a winger and things are getting really dicey and I've seen enough of Kreids-Zibby to know that they need someone with skill on their right.
RW Depth
Kakko (average to legit 1st liner right now imo)
Blais (middle 6 player, but our LW depth is so good that it’s not like we need another top 6 RW)
Gauthier (same as Blais, although we don’t know how consistent he’ll be)
Kravtsov (dark horse, could be anywhere from our best RW to bottom 6 RW)
Hunt (can play anywhere)

I admit there are a lot of question marks, but if all the kids keep progressing and we get Kravtsov back, our RW depth is great.

Gauthier really is the key here. He can make all the difference if he’s a real middle 6 player.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
RW Depth
Blais (middle 6 player, but our LW depth is so good that it’s not like we need another top 6 RW)
Hunt (can play anywhere)

I admit there are a lot of question marks, but if all the kids keep progressing and we get Kravtsov back, our RW depth is great.

Gauthier really is the key here. He can make all the difference if he’s a real middle 6 player.
I wouldn’t hold my breath. I still think is 98-99% chance Kravstov is traded rather then rejoining the team he bolted on, twice.

Reactions: Captain Lindy

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Well...couple of hits one really hard and some chances...if only he could finish them. That will come . He is evolving right before our eyes....could be a BIG bonus for us . Imagine if we get all our big guys going ? Kreider-Chytil-Gauthier KK ....hard to defense that kind of size and strength on the rush .

RW Depth
Hunt (can play anywhere)

listen to bern
I called it from last yr]
keep
LaF - Chytil - Gauth

it works, has complementary units [scorer/facilitator/driver of play]
no need to change
allow max productivity from familiarity

As to the rest of it
bend, buckle and break and admit to reality that, like it or not, we can't afford Strome next year so every other argument is moot.
Acccordingly deal him NOW, retained, while his value is max due to more production w/longer term contract for entire rest of this yr
And also, we want value picks which do not add cap hit immediately.
Think ahead of the curve for next year.

So
the size line would be
Kreider - Barron - Kakko
it is not clear they def have en0ugh scoring touch but it is totally clear they would be mofo to play against, and even if scoring was not thru the roof, fact they would dominate most shifts is worth considering

That leaves
Goodrow/Krav - Zib - Panarin
which is interesting on multiple levels

Reactions: Rempe73

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Again, if someone asked an outsider to identify the 1OA pick on the Laf-Chytil-Gauthier line, I’m pretty sure you’d see a lot of people picking Goat. I’m more than OK with that for now. It’s borderline criminal how Quinn kept him out of the lineup last year. Love that he is gaining confidence and seeing some results.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Again, if someone asked an outsider to identify the 1OA pick on the Laf-Chytil-Gauthier line, I’m pretty sure you’d see a lot of people picking Goat. I’m more than OK with that for now. It’s borderline criminal how Quinn kept him out of the lineup last year. Love that he is gaining confidence and seeing some results.
It's a big aspect in to why Players love Turk.

He goes out of his way to show the player he trusts you and believes in you. Gauthier, Chytil and Kakko are singing the same song.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
what gets me is Quinn exiled him from the lineup after he posted his best numbers in March (5p in 12gp). I've never been his biggest fan but I didn't understand it then.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
what gets me is Quinn exiled him from the lineup after he posted his best numbers in March (5p in 12gp). I've never been his biggest fan but I didn't understand it then.
I think the obvious answer to this is that David Quinn barely had any idea what he was doing half the time.

I’ll gladly eat crow on Goat. Didn’t think he had much to contribute at this level but he’s clearly proving me wrong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad