Player Discussion Julien Gauthier

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Who would have known worst thing that could have happened to his career was being traded to this team?!

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
For whatever reason, the coach and perhaps the FO aren't high on him.

seems NYR may have been relatively more healthy up front, much of '21 season, than average NHL team. Opportunities which typically might have opened, did not

Reactions: haveandare

Captain Monglobster

Nov 9, 2005
He started taking the puck hard to the net, and then he got scratched. And then he never got back in the lineup. And then Kravtsov came over.
Kid really never got a fair shake this year. He seemed to be doing what the coaches wanted, hes never gonna be a grinder but he was using his size more.

I honestly would have liked to see him play over Kreider down the stretch.

Reactions: bl02

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
I don't think he's a player. Built like a brick shit house, and about as effective. Doesn't really hit, doesn't fight, doesn't drive the net enough. Way too many nights where you can't remember if he even dressed or not. If he ever gets it together he could be something but with the young players on this team I think the next man up passes him before it happens for him here.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I don't think he's a player. Built like a brick shit house, and about as effective. Doesn't really hit, doesn't fight, doesn't drive the net enough. Way too many nights where you can't remember if he even dressed or not. If he ever gets it together he could be something but with the young players on this team I think the next man up passes him before it happens for him here.

We must not have been watching the same games

Reactions: Sayba

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Time to bump this thread.

Is this the last big chance for Goat in the NHL with Blais out for the season?

He's been noticeable this season in his limited time and finally potted one last night. He scored a ton in juniors - If he could just finish more often... He just turned 24 in October, so also young. Not Lafreniere young but young.

Can Gallant get this kid over the hump?

He's only got 54 NHL games under his belt. Maybe some consistent starts could increase his confidence. He's got all the tools.

I wouldn't bet on it, no - but it would be a huge boost if this kid could get on a streak.

Last edited:

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Time to bump this thread.

Is this the last big chance for Goat in the NHL with Blais out for the season?

He's been noticeable this season in his limited time and finally potted one last night. He scored a ton in juniors - If he could just finish more often... He just turned 24 in October, so also young. Not Lafreniere young but young.

Can Gallant get this kid over the hump?

He's only got 54 NHL games under his belt. Maybe some consistent starts could increase his confidence. He's got all the tools.

I wouldn't bet on it, no - but it would be a huge boost if this kid could get on a streak.
His size and speed is a matchup nightmare. If he moves his legs he will be a NHL player for some time. There will always be room for a player like him.

He needs to limit his mistakes and work on the defensive side. Big boys usually take longer to develop

Reactions: leetch99

Blais to Win

Dec 16, 2009
He's shown a bit of an eye for sneaky plays recently with his between-the-legs pass and the takeaway to score last night.

tomobson

Sep 16, 2008
He could mesh well with Chytil. Two big and fast players that will get on the other teams dmen pretty quickly and create havoc. As a third line in this league that's probably the best recipe to success.

Reactions: NickyFotiu

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
This guy could become a 20 goal third line player somewhere in my opinion. I hope it is here. He has size. He has speed. Some guys just need more time to figure out the game.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
It likely will be his best chance of ever getting a new deal with a slight increase . How many years before he is a UFA ? If he puts one good season together....he will be a sought after guy . Just needs to hit a few guys now and create some more room . More room means more chances ....more chances means more goals for us and more points for him which means more dollars.....it's all right there for the taking .

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
It likely will be his best chance of ever getting a new deal with a slight increase . How many years before he is a UFA ? If he puts one good season together....he will be a sought after guy . Just needs to hit a few guys now and create some more room . More room means more chances ....more chances means more goals for us and more points for him which means more dollars.....it's all right there for the taking .

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
OK...great....he could be a fine 3rd liner with us until then at a very cost controlled amount ....we certainly will need a few of them on the roster moving forward . I'm sure he will get his chance until we have some pipeline fellows ready for the show . Penguins done well with their bottom 6 in all their cup wins . Even in the 90's they had a big crew of muckers working their butts off eating minutes off the clock .

Reactions: Lion Hound

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Again, I said keep this guy, he is not a throw away

I also said this line will work
LaF - Chytil - Gauthier

w/JG now getting shot to play, he is demonstrating he IS a fit and LaF-C were already clicking

bern's line combos are not as bad as some would assert

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
His size and speed make him effective at drawing penalties. He’s doing a better Job of using his size to protect the puck. Whether it’s driving towards the net or along the boards. With that size//speed combo it’s very hard for a defender to try and take the puck without getting a holding call.
Especially undersized D. His goal against the habs has straight hustle. I’m happy he was rewarded because there have been solid plays he’s made in the past where another player just couldn’t finish off a nice pass or rebound from a strong Gauthier play. If he keeps playing like that he’ll carve out a home as a long term NHL 3rd liner capable of adding 15-20 goals a year, even if it’s not with us long term.
He’s another guy everyone should be cheering for to succeed if for no other reason then to pump his trade value.
It’s too bad he’s not a rough and tumble guy like Tkachuk, even though they are built the same, Gauthier just doesn’t have that style in him. But big guys that can skate fast and score, there will always be a demand for.
If he can be similar to Pouliot, it’s a win.

Last edited:
Reactions: bernmeister

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Another great game for the kid. He is making me eat crow right now. Would be interesting seeing him in Goodrow’s spot next to Kreider and Zibanejad.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
he's been outstanding. he's not the smartest player but unlike the past two years he's made up for it with hard work, forechecking, and a very active stick. the puck is never safe with him and Chytil on the ice.

wish Laf would follow those footsteps :(

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
My only concern with him on that Chytil-Laf line is that I really don't like Gauthier as the primary puck carrier for it since he's not the best playmaker. He's been fantastic at taking the puck to the net, but he's been kind of rough to watch without it. There was one play in the third last night where he did a great job carrying it into the zone, cycling quick with Laf, and taking it to the point to get it to Fox. The only issue was that he simply just stopped skating at the blue line and it kind of killed the momentum that line had going.

It's probably me being too nitpicky, but I'd prefer to see Chytil or Laf be more of the facilitators for that line. I love the progress Gauthier has made though in the last 4-5 games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->