Player Discussion Julien Gauthier

TopShelfSnipes

May 5, 2011
USA
Could he score 15 someday? Sure. He drives the net reasonably well, protects the puck reasonably well, but doesn't have great on-ice instincts, doesn't have a great shot, doesn't use it from range, and lacks on-ice vision and playmaking ability.

IMO he's a solid addition to the bottom 6. He'll show flashes of brilliance at times, but isn't ever going to do it consistenly enough.

Reactions: leetch99

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Sometimes the light just finally clicks ‘on’. He’s finding holes and space. And suddenly he’s a factor and a weapon. Not sure there’s really any adjustment an opponent can make to neutralize him when he’s playing this way. When Dallas tried to get in his way he draws a penalty.
He’s shown flashes before. He needs to play well enough over an extended stretch of games. The competition in the current bottom 6 isn’t tremendous. If he can’t do it now then I doubt he ever will, but I’m pulling for him.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
He has the ability to be a Grabner clone on the PK
Bingo! How many breakaways did Grabs get on the PK? Look at what Zibby does. If he can be trusted to play on PK (would be beneficial for Kreids) that would be huge!
What @romba said about "in close" is spot on. Add some inflating confidence and this thread will blow up!
P.S. Really liked that video, thanx @RangersFan1994

Reactions: romba

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Could he score 15 someday? Sure. He drives the net reasonably well, protects the puck reasonably well, but doesn't have great on-ice instincts, doesn't have a great shot, doesn't use it from range, and lacks on-ice vision and playmaking ability.

IMO he's a solid addition to the bottom 6. He'll show flashes of brilliance at times, but isn't ever going to do it consistenly enough.
He’s a long way from scoring 15 NHL goals. First, he has to sustain his play long enough to earn a regular spot in the lineup. Then, he’d presumably have to earn a spot in the middle 6 with some more talented players and more ice time. Is it ‘possible?’ Sure. Would I bet money on it? No. I have to see a lot more yet. He does have the physical tools though.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
He’s shown flashes before. He needs to play well enough over an extended stretch of games. The competition in the current bottom 6 isn’t tremendous. If he can’t do it now then I doubt he ever will, but I’m pulling for him.
He has always had the speed. But this year I’ve been impressed with his passing. He seems to have a better sense of where his teammates are. That’s a big development.

Reactions: bl02

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Gauthier reminds me of Pouliot in a lot of ways, including that it took them both a long time to figure out what kind of player they were.

Reactions: egelband

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Gauthier reminds me of Pouliot in a lot of ways, including that it took them both a long time to figure out what kind of player they were.
If Gauth mixes in shooting from the dot, with his power net move, he'll make D/G make a choice

Reactions: McRanger92

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Gauthier isn't bad and really never was, he's just not what NHL coaches want in a 4th liner, for better or worse.

he's fast and he's become much more physical the last two years. he's still pretty awful in the defensive zone but if he moves his ass, works the boards, and gets some shots I think he should play. we are a slow team. any speed is welcome, anywhere in the lineup.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Shouldn't they all? Maybe he had a gf there, so at first, second and third time's he didn't mind. But, if they broke up........

1667414876990.png

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Gauthier will have a 15 year career if he pots 8-10 goals a year and continues choking guys who go after our star players after the whistle
I wish they coaching staff would tell him to be as aggressive he can be. Imagine if he knew how to use his size.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Maybe they are, he’s certainly been more noticeable since his recall
Ive noticed that. I bet other coaches have told them that especially when he was drafted. He seems more aggressive and physical. Needs to do it consistently. He is a player that has to use his size and speed. He cant rely on skill like other players. He just played his 100th NHL game vs the Flyers and only 25. its now or never for him to be honest.

Reactions: leetch99

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
He's fine in his current role. Other teams have to worry about our fourth line because of his speed. He regularly draws penalties and in the current NHL his size and ability to pull off, or choke, anyone in those post whistle scrums if good. As long as he keeps throwing that big body forward, and if we can get Goodrow back on the 4th line when they revive the corpse of Kravtsov it's a useful 4th line. Him netting one here and there is a bonus.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
"I hope to be Gauthier one day." --Lafreniere

He had the happiest smile after the goal, so that was nice to see.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad