Player Discussion Joshua Roy

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Point still stands: the team was cold. Pointing out any one player that isn't on the first line for their production doesn't make sense - espcially someone who's been playing 4th line minutes.
You have an affinity for RHP I get it but he not close to being in Newhook's tier.

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
Why would you take Slafkovsky off the top line though??
Because if we draft the best player in the next draft maybe he's going to play on the first line and Slaf on the second line would dominate.

• Haha
Reactions: MasterD

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
Because if we draft the best player in the next draft maybe he's going to play on the first line and Slaf on the second line would dominate.
Ah, yes, take the new 18 years old and throw him on the first line, bump the 3rd year 1st OA guy that got 50+ points and had great chemistry with the other 2 guys on the 2nd line.

Of course, why not?

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
Ah, yes, take the new 18 years old and throw him on the first line, bump the 3rd year 1st OA guy that got 50+ points and had great chemistry with the other 2 guys on the 2nd line.

Of course, why not?
It's better than having only one line generating offense, our third line will be looking good too with that setup.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Why would you take Slafkovsky off the top line though??
They wouldn't.
This talk about Slaf with Dach started the very second Slafkovsky started breaking out with Suzuki.
Like I explained back then there is no way in hell management would take Slafkovsky away from our Captain while they are in progression mode.
This was before I found out Suzuki asked Marty to put him on his right flank.
While we can all salivate on what a Slaf/Dach power combo may look like we might have to settle for the PP version for a while.

Reactions: Habs13 and yianik

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
It's better than having only one line generating offense, our third line will be looking good too with that setup.
Dach will be back, the supposed-best player in the next draft can potentially play the 2nd line, and so can Newhook. Leave the first line alone for now, we haven't had a real one in 10 years!

They wouldn't.
This talk about Slaf with Dach started the very second Slafkovsky started breaking out with Suzuki.
Like I explained back then there is no way in hell management would take Slafkovsky away from our Captain while they are in progression mode.
While we can all salivate on what a Slaf/Dach power combo may look like we might have to settle for the PP version for a while.
It'd be interesting for sure, but with our current line up, I don't see the point. Suzuki and Caufield are both not that tall/big (even if Suzuki is strong), having such a big man on the line is very, very helpful. Dach can do the same thing on his line.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Dach will be back, the supposed-best player in the next draft can potentially play the 2nd line, and so can Newhook. Leave the first line alone for now, we haven't had a real one in 10 years!

It'd be interesting for sure, but with our current line up, I don't see the point. Suzuki and Caufield are both not that tall/big (even if Suzuki is strong), having such a big man on the line is very, very helpful. Dach can do the same thing on his line.
Very much so.
But down a goal in a game with nothing happening the option to flank Suzuki with Dach and Slaf for a couple of shifts would have me tempted as a coach.
These are the situational adjustments some are hoping to see more of from Marty going forward.
:D

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
They wouldn't.
Depending on what happens this summer I could see them try and grab one more forward, then run back this next year, w

Slaf - Suzuki - Caufield
Roy - Dach - New Forward
Gallagher - Newhook - Armia
Evans - DVo - Anderson
Extras - RHP/ Pezz

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
Roy is just so smart on the ice, and does so many little things that helps other players, that I think he could play anywhere and have an impact. I don't expect him to become a top player, but he could become a top complementary player. Maybe my memory is just foggy, but for some reasons he reminds me of Jere Lehtinen, don't know if if he'll become a Selke candidate, but I could see the same type of impact.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Roy is just so smart on the ice, and does so many little things that helps other players, that I think he could play anywhere and have an impact. I don't expect him to become a top player, but he could become a top complementary player. Maybe my memory is just foggy, but for some reasons he reminds me of Jere Lehtinen, don't know if if he'll become a Selke candidate, but I could see the same type of impact.
Chances are he turns out to be the ideal 3rd line winger.
Smart at both ends of the rink never putting his team in trouble.
Really good along the boards with a deft touch that can save goals at one end while generating them at the other.
A player who can slot in on either top line when necessary and look good doing it.

This is a core piece and one you can use in a team built for Championship contending hockey.
This is the type of player who is a constant reminder to me of how much better we need to get with the other 6 role players. (including 13th forward)
I know plenty don't agree but the players on our roster don't check nearly as many boxes as Joshua Roy does.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
They wouldn't.
Well said.

Unless it's Celebrini we take , our pick will/ should go back to the same league he is in.

Leave the 1st line as is. Next year Dach , Newhook and player X could make up 2nd line. And for sure Roy needs to get his chance at 2nd line.

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
Chances are he turns out to be the ideal 3rd line winger.
Smart at both ends of the rink never putting his team in trouble.
Really good along the boards with a deft touch that can save goals at one end while generating them at the other.
A player who can slot in on either top line when necessary and look good doing it.

This is a core piece and one you can use in a team built for Championship contending hockey.
This is the type of player who is a constant reminder to me of how much better we need to get with the other 6 role players. (including 13th forward)
I know plenty don't agree but the players on our roster don't check nearly as many boxes as Joshua Roy does.

Absolutely, I mean I want superstars to pop out of nowhere from within the organization like everybody, but we need 'building blocks' in the middle-6 to solidify the team as a whole too, and yeah, Roy might very well be just that.

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
Well said.

Unless it's Celebrini we take , our pick will/ should go back to the same league he is in.

Leave the 1st line as is. Next year Dach , Newhook and player X could make up 2nd line. And for sure Roy needs to get his chance at 2nd line.
Roy-Dach-Newhook could be nice. If we suppose there’s no trade for either a Monahan type or another younger guy.

Reactions: yianik

JuJu Mobb

Dec 9, 2009
I like Newhook as 3c, unless we bring back Monahan. So we need another top 6 player.

I'm not sold on Roy as top 6 yet. I need a bigger sample size.

I wouldn't mind ''Newhook - Roy - Armia'' as a 3rd line.

BozoTheClown

Jul 10, 2021
Roy, Dach and Slafkovsky could be a good second line next year if they're all healthy.
I think Suzuki, Caufield and Slafkovsky should stay together if they keep producing and improving.
I would love Crosby with Dach and Roy.

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
I think Suzuki, Caufield and Slafkovsky should stay together if they keep producing and improving.
I would love Crosby with Dach and Roy.
Crosby should never play for the Habs but we need a player similar to him.

Caufield-Placeholder-Slafkovsky
Dach-Suzuki-Roy/Newhook/Armia

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad