Player Discussion Joshua Roy

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I like Newhook as 3c, unless we bring back Monahan. So we need another top 6 player.

I'm not sold on Roy as top 6 yet. I need a bigger sample size.

I wouldn't mind ''Newhook - Roy - Armia'' as a 3rd line.
I doubt they re-sign Monahan. He good player but will get big contract this summer. Then there is injury history.

I think we set down middle next season and beyond. Suzuki, Dach, Newhook, Evans, Dvorak. That's decent down the middle

In '25-26 Beck will replace Dvorak. Kapanen knocking on door also.

Fuonki

Jan 2, 2020
I feel like people don't talk enough about just how good Joshua Roy has been for the Habs this year. Sure it's a small sample size, but while sharing minutes with some absolute bums and having near zero power play time he's had the second best analytics numbers for the whole team, trailing only behind Suzuki who's also had a fantastic season defensively. I'd love to see Roy play on the second line next year with Dach & Newhook and show everyone just how good he really is.

Attachments

• 1713101813814.png
    1713101813814.png
    84.4 KB · Views: 5

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I feel like people don't talk enough about just how good Joshua Roy has been for the Habs this year. Sure it's a small sample size, but while sharing minutes with some absolute bums and having near zero power play time he's had the second best analytics numbers for the whole team, trailing only behind Suzuki who's also had a fantastic season defensively. I'd love to see Roy play on the second line next year with Dach & Newhook and show everyone just how good he really is.
Now that Roy knows what he needs to do I fully expect him to come in next season even more vastly improved than what we saw this season. This kid has what it takes.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City

bro was about to torpedo the tank worse than RHP, and with good play rather than inflated shooting numbers.

• Haha
Reactions: Redux91 and Mrb1p

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I’m hopeful Roy will be the stud I think he can be. Bump Newhook to the 3rd line and add another elite forward and we’d be looking good, we need Roy to be a top6 though. I think he’s got it.

Canadiens98

Jan 29, 2021
Not really sure what to expect but I felt he had a good year.

Too often have we seen young players start out hot and then fade. Hoping for the best with Roy.

Reactions: Colezuki

Jul 6, 2016
Roy should had played the whole season in Laval. Of course, injuries in MTL derailed the plan. But I still think he needs to prove more at AHL level, mainly consistency and involment. Struble should start at AHL level too. I would not rush Mailloux nor Reinbacher at NHL level.

Habs should start next season with these d-men and see from there who could be traded: Matheson, Guhle, Savard, Hutson, Xhekaj, Harris OR Barron and Kovacevic. Harris or Barron could be part of a package to pick earlier in one of the two first rounds.

Available affordable UFA forwards: Mantha, Duclair, Carrier, Stenlund, Duhaime. They can fill holes for a couple of seasons.

Should go: Dvorak, Ylonen, and maybe Anderson if they can find a dancing partner.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Roy should had played the whole season in Laval. Of course, injuries in MTL derailed the plan. But I still think he needs to prove more at AHL level, mainly consistency and involment. Struble should start at AHL level too. I would not rush Mailloux nor Reinbacher at NHL level.

Habs should start next season with these d-men and see from there who could be traded: Matheson, Guhle, Savard, Hutson, Xhekaj, Harris OR Barron and Kovacevic. Harris or Barron could be part of a package to pick earlier in one of the two first rounds.

Available affordable UFA forwards: Mantha, Duclair, Carrier, Stenlund, Duhaime. They can fill holes for a couple of seasons.

Should go: Dvorak, Ylonen, and maybe Anderson if they can find a dancing partner.
Roy spent a major part of his time in Montreal as the Habs 2nd or 3rd best forward... Why would you want him to go down? He was absolutely fantastic.

Jul 6, 2016
Roy spent a major part of his time in Montreal as the Habs 2nd or 3rd best forward... Why would you want him to go down? He was absolutely fantastic.
23 games is not « major ». And he was not the 2nd or 3rd best forward. Suzuki, Caufield and Slaf were + Armia and Newhook when he came back. If Habs want to have a real good second line, they gonna have to make trades and-or look on the UFA market. Roy has been very inconsistent in Laval. He needs how to learn to acquire that, while producing at a fair pace.

Training camp will tell a lot though. So, he could still be part of the team when next season start.

Reactions: BLONG7

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Roy playing with better players was much better in Montreal. I thought after his fast start in Laval that he was average at best.
I do expect huge strides in year two.

Reactions: Kimota and Gustave

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
23 games is not « major ». And he was not the 2nd or 3rd best forward. Suzuki, Caufield and Slaf were + Armia and Newhook when he came back. If Habs want to have a real good second line, they gonna have to make trades and-or look on the UFA market. Roy has been very inconsistent in Laval. He needs how to learn to acquire that, while producing at a fair pace.

Training camp will tell a lot though. So, he could still be part of the team when next season start.
I do think he makes the team in October, but in the top 9 not top 6
Had a few nice games, and also like most of our forwards, disappeared for several games.....
In a year or two, he will be a good player for us!
He has hockey smarts, but if I am being honest he pulls a Druoin, Marner at times and shies away from making the tough plays because he doesn't like the physical stuff.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I do think he makes the team in October, but in the top 9 not top 6
Had a few nice games, and also like most of our forwards, disappeared for several games.....
In a year or two, he will be a good player for us!
He has hockey smarts, but if I am being honest he pulls a Druoin, Marner at times and shies away from making the tough plays because he doesn't like the physical stuff.
I think his grit is a level or 2 above Marner and Drouin.

Reactions: KKWG11

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
He should start with the big club imo
He grew up alot after being drafted and really took his career seriously. To be drafted 150th overall and to have already played 23 NHL games says alot.
I expect an intense off season for Joshua Roy and he will be significantly more ready come training camp. Bright future.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I think his grit is a level or 2 above Marner and Drouin.
I hope you are right, and I am wrong. I watched closely, and a few nights, I was not impressed.
He seemed to be scared of his shadow, and maybe there was reason? Injuries at the time maybe?

Let's see where it all goes. He could be a steal from the 5th round.

Reactions: Tyson

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
I’m not sure how people think he shouldn’t be on the team next year
Especially considering our path to building a team. We are going to play our young players, be it at the point of seeing him falter, in the worst case. Building a team through drafting and not give those players the chance to become instrumental to the success of the team would simply be counterproductive.

The whole point of this is the building blocks need to come from inside, otherwise we are just going in circles. He showed me enough to warrant a top 9 spot, barring a catastrophic training camp.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I hope you are right, and I am wrong. I watched closely, and a few nights, I was not impressed.
He seemed to be scared of his shadow, and maybe there was reason? Injuries at the time maybe?

I didn’t get to see much of him on the Habs but I never seen him play scared before. He’s usually low key somewhat physical. Not a bruiser by any means but can engage physically

Reactions: Gustave and Tyson

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas

We will have to disagree on that one 😁

Reactions: BLONG7

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

Despite his hot start in Laval I thought Roy showed me a heck of a lot more in the NHL.
Including better consistency.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad